Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016. Scholarships for families, young adults, and adults are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 15,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 48 under resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program.
- Constraints and challenges in access to insulin: a global perspective.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Anaheim 2016, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California from September 16-18, 2016.
- Last week's poll asked readers about which insulin pump they use. This week's poll asks our pumps users about how frequently they change their infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, 4th Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our son, Bryce is 2 1/2 and was diagnosed at 9 months. Bryce has three friends in the neighborhood that all get together and play throughout the week. When Bryce needs a check, I go to him with the kit and he stops for a minute while we do our business. One day while waiting for the meter reading, I glanced up and his three friend were all standing their with their fingers out to be checked too! Talk about moral support!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 10-year-old daughter looks at a beautiful, pinkish-purple sunset and declares, "That is so pretty! It looks like an infected site!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter tested positive for two antibodies and has had intermittent elevated blood sugars. Have there been any successes in reversing the antibody titers? I am looking for suggestions on how to prevent a diagnosis of type 1.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
I:C ratio question
Conferences and Events
- The Kids 'n' Us: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2016 at the Chateau Louis Conference Center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Survive and Thrive Bootcamp for adults with type 1 diabetes will be held on Friday, May 20 - Sunday, May 22, 2016 at Camp Nejeda in Stillwater, New Jersey.
- The 2016 ConnecT1D Retreat is scheduled for June 25-26, 2016, at the Bell Harbor Conference in Seattle, Washington.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Measuring Parental Distress of a Type 1 Diagnosis.
- Diabetic vs. Diabetes.
- What Does the DOC Mean to You?
- Islet Cell Transplantation Right Under the Skin.
- Type 1 Diabetes Research: Study Suggests Changes in Gut Bacteria Occur After Onset of Disease, Not Before.
- Counting My Blessings: Modern Day Diabetes Technology.
- New FingerPrick App Tells You Where to Poke.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- An Athletes' Look at Type 1 Diabetes.
- 24 Hours with Ana and Sam.
- Day and night glycaemic control with a bionic pancreas versus conventional insulin pump therapy in preadolescent children with type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover trial.
- Feasibility of an Orthogonal Redundant Sensor incorporating Optical plus Redundant Electrochemical Glucose Sensing.
- Intensive Diabetes Treatment and Cardiovascular Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetes: The DCCT/EDIC Study 30-Year Follow-up. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Differential insulitic profiles determine the extent of beta cell destruction and the age at onset of type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Type 1 diabetics have 'sleeping' insulin cells which could be woken, say scientists and Childhood diabetes discoveries could lead to new treatments.
- Islet-after-failed-pancreas and pancreas-after-failed islet transplantation: two complementary rescue strategies to control diabetes.
- The Advanced Technologies & Treatments for Diabetes 2015 Yearbook is now available online.
- Nonaqueous, Mini-Dose Glucagon for Treatment of Mild Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Dose-Seeking Study.
- Risk Factors Associated With Corneal Nerve Alteration in Type 1 Diabetes in the Absence of Neuropathy: A Longitudinal In Vivo Corneal Confocal Microscopy Study.
- Predominance of DR3 in Somali children with type 1 diabetes in the twin cities, Minnesota.
- Diabetes Diagnosis of the Future: 11 Types?
- Effects of Diabetic Ketoacidosis on Visual and Verbal Neurocognitive Function in Young Patients Presenting with New-Onset Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Factors associated with nocturnal hypoglycemia in at-risk adolescents and young adults with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The CBMDI study: A randomized controlled trial on the effect on metabolic control of adding a bolus calculator to a multiple daily injections treatment in people with type 1 diabetes.
- Stressors in Teens with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents: Immediate and Long-Term Implications for Transition to Self-Management.
- Educational Needs and Technological Preferences of Fathers of Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Access to and Interest in Using Smartphone Technology for the Management of Type 1 Diabetes in Ethnic Minority Adolescents and Their Parents.
- Ethnic variation in the correlation between waist to height ratio and total daily insulin requirement in children with type 1 diabetes: a cross-sectional study.
- Effect of pregnancy on insulin requirements differs between type 1 and type 2 diabetes: A cohort study of 222 pregnancies.
- Clinical Application of the Food Insulin Index for Mealtime Insulin Dosing in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil Reduces Glycemic Response to a Highâ€“Glycemic Index Meal in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Ketoacidosis Is Bariatric Surgery Risk in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of a gluten-free diet on bone mineral density in celiac patients.
- Clinical and Immunologic Features of Ultra-short Celiac Disease.
- Serological screening for celiac disease in a northern Italian child and adolescent population after the onset of type 1 diabetes: a retrospective longitudinal study of a 7-year period.
- Evaluation of the Correlation Between tTG-IgA Titer and Duodenal Biopsy Findings in Children With Suspected Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten Freedom and the Ethics of Withholding a Celiac Diagnosis.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Artificial pancreas works for teens with type 1 diabetes.
- How Diabetes in Kids Differs From That in Teens.
- Parents fight diabetes diagnoses with diligence and technology.
- My Very Human Errors With My Very Human Disease.
- San Diego Company Testing Possible Diabetes Cure.
- North Carolina teen with diabetes wins wrestling state championship.
- Diabetes camp a confidence boost for youth.
- Man pools his efforts for charity.
- Insulin access remains limited for thousands of people, study finds.
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Awards $3.4 Million to DreaMed Diabetes for Type 1 Diabetes Decision Support.
- Children in Europe Now Have Access to First-Of-Its-Kind Diabetes Sensing Technology - Eliminates Routine Finger Pricks.
- ViaCyte Acquires Rights to BetaLogics Assets, Expanding and Extending Industry-Leading Portfolio for Stem Cell-Derived Approaches to Type 1 Diabetes.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration Approves HumulinÂ® R U-500 KwikPenÂ®.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday February 10, 2016 19:21:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.