Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016. Scholarships for families, young adults, and adults are available from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation.
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Anaheim 2016, to be held at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim, California from September 16-18, 2016.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our pumps users about how frequently they change their infusion set. This week's poll asks our readers about how they dispose of sharps at home.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Living in Wisconsin, one really needs to make sure you have insulation in your house. I had some contractors come to give me an estimate of how much insulation I would need to have blown in. I asked the contractor, "So, how many bags of insulin will I need to make sure I have the proper amount of insulin in my house?" The contractor looked at me and said, "I think you mean insulation, not INSULIN."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the toilet is stuffed, you call the plumber, he snakes the bowl, and at the end of his snake is a piece of blue plastic that just happens to match the blue plastic cover of your son's inset infusion set. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen relative with type 1 eats a lot of candy, taking insulin to keep her blood sugar in range. Will eating the candy show up on her A1c test?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
More than 100% insulin increase in 30 days
- The diabetic's 24 hour survival guide.
Conferences and Events
- The Kids 'n' Us: Families Facing Diabetes Conference will be held on Saturday, April 23, 2016 at the Chateau Louis Conference Center in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
- Survive and Thrive Bootcamp for adults with type 1 diabetes will be held on Friday, May 20 - Sunday, May 22, 2016 at Camp Nejeda in Stillwater, New Jersey.
- The 2016 ConnecT1D Retreat is scheduled for June 25-26, 2016, at the Bell Harbor Conference in Seattle, Washington.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Highlights from the Annual JDRF Mission Summit.
- Exploring FDA's New Guidance on Medical Device Interoperability.
- Love, health and Justin Bieber by Noor Alramahi.
- People Who "Get" Diabetes.
- Get Well Soon.
- The Best and Worst Things About the Dexcom G5 Continuous Glucose Monitor.
- To Pump or Not to Pump, That is the Question.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- USF's Bringing Science Home (BSH) released three videos in their Diabetes Partners Education Series.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
Products, Services and Books
- Give your opinion on diabetes care products and services in the DiabetesMine Challenges Matrix. See also Help Us Rate Diabetes Tools & Services! Building the DiabetesMine Challenges Matrix.
- Long-Term Insulin Independence in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Using a Simplified Autologous Stem Cell Transplant.
- Glucagon Nasal Powder: A Promising Alternative to Intramuscular Glucagon in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Long-Acting C-Peptide and Neuropathy in Type 1 Diabetes: A 12-Month Clinical Trial.
- Variation in SLC19A3 and Protection from Microvascular Damage in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Researchers discover a genetic mutation that prevents diabetes complications.
- Eating-Disordered Behaviour in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Breaking the Taboo: Illicit Drug Use among Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Reduced deep sleep tied to poor glycemic control in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Integrated sensor-augmented pump therapy systems for managing blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes (the MiniMed Paradigm Veo system and the Vibe and G4 PLATINUM CGM system).
- The Impact of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy on Efficacy and Safety in a Cohort of Type 1 Diabetes Patients: A 3-Year Prospective Study.
- Long-term outcome of insulin pump therapy: reduction of hypoglycaemia and impact on glycaemic control.
- Changes in Postpartum Insulin Requirements for Patients with Well-Controlled Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incidence and prevalence of thyroid dysfunction in type 1 diabetes.
- Emotional Distress in the Partners of Type 1 Diabetes Adults: Worries About Hypoglycemia and Other Key Concerns.
- Effects of socio-demographic factors on parental monitoring, and regimen adherence among adolescents with type 1 diabetes: A moderation analysis.
- Self-Management Strategies in Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Examining the Interaction of Parental Involvement and Parenting Style in Predicting Adherence in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Understanding the Areas and Correlates of Diabetes-Related Distress in Parents of Teens With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bone and Celiac Disease.
- Diagnosis and nursing management of coeliac disease in children.
- Iron deficiency anemia in newly diagnosed celiac disease in children.
- Evidence for the Presence of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity in Patients with Functional Gastrointestinal Symptoms: Results from a Multicenter Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Gluten Challenge. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- CU Scientists Make Major Discovery In Type 1 Diabetes.
- Local moms design a trendy way to carry insulin pumps.
- New diabetes devices improve connectivity, but patient, provider education needed.
- CU Identifies Factor That May Trigger Type 1 Diabetes.
- Lilly Diabetes Helps Inspiring Students with Type 1 Diabetes Attend College Through Scholarship Donation.
- NICE Recommends Medtronic Integrated Sensor-Augmented Insulin Pump As the Only Therapy System to Manage Glucose Levels in Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday February 17, 2016 22:03:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.