Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
New This Week
- Dexcom issues Important Customer Notification for users of Dexcom Receivers (Dexcom G4 PLATINUM, Dexcom G4 PLATINUM Pediatric, Dexcom G4 PLATINUM Professional, Dexcom G4 PLATINUM w/Share, Dexcom G4 PLATINUM w/Share Pediatric and Dexcom G5).
- Last week's poll asked our readers about how they dispose of sharps at home. This week's poll asks our readers if they experience discrimination from friends or family because of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Diabetes, 13th Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My two-year-old son was taking a bath and pretending to drink from a cup. He then handed the cup to me and said, "Do you want a drink mommy. It's got no sugar and no carbs."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had type 1 for 26 years and have no complications. I am concerned about low diastolic readings when I check my blood pressure. Should I be concerned?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How do you keep romance alive with a T1D kid?
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
- Breastfeeding the Type 1 Diabetic Child.
Conferences and Events
- The Patient Voice 2016: Bridging the Diabetes Gaps will be held on Saturday, March 20th from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 417 E. 61 Street & 1st Avenue in Manhattan.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- The High Cost of Insulin (And a Plea to Lilly).
- Tigers don't care about diabetes.
- How to Deal with Hypoglycemia Anxiety.
- Part One: We Knew.
- What We Know about Racial Disparities in Treating Type 1 Diabetes.
- Central Montcalm High School takes on Type 1.
- More Than a Number.
- 5 Ways to Strengthen the Type 1 Diabetes Community.
- Things you'll only understand if you're diabetic.
- How taking care of my diabetes could have killed me: double-dosing.
- The Aftermath of a Fatal Diabetes-Related Accident.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Needle Free is a new song by American Idol Season 14 contestant Adam Lasher and Nashville's Amanda Jo, both of whom are living very successfully with Type 1 diabetes
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
Products, Services and Books
- Give your opinion on diabetes care products and services in the DiabetesMine Challenges Matrix. See also Help Us Rate Diabetes Tools & Services! Building the DiabetesMine Challenges Matrix.
- AP@home: The Artificial Pancreas Is Now at Home.
- Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Type 1 Diabetes During Supervised Outpatient Conditions.
- Effects of Frequency of Sensor-Augmented Pump Use on HbA1c.
- Association between intestinal permeability and fecal microbiota composition in Italian children with beta cell autoimmunity at risk for type 1 diabetes.
- Associations of growth patterns and islet autoimmunity in children with increased risk for type 1 diabetes: a functional analysis approach.
- Association Between Plasma Uric Acid Levels and Cardiorenal Function in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Endocrine autoimmunity in patients with Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults (LADA) - association with HLA genotype.
- Lower dose basal insulin infusion has positive effect on glycaemic control for children with type I diabetes on continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy.
- The Potential Cost Implications of Averting Severe Hypoglycemic Events Requiring Hospitalization in High-Risk Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Using Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring.
- Use and Effectiveness of Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion (CSII) and Multiple Daily Insulin Injection Therapy (MIT) in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Expert Study: Utility of an Automated Bolus Advisor System in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Treated with Multiple Daily Injections of Insulin-A Crossover Study.
- The Stricter the Better? The Relationship between Targeted HbA1c Values and Metabolic Control of Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glycemic changes during menstrual cycles in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Risk factors for Cardiovascular Disease in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Regional Disparities in Diabetes Care for Pediatric Patients with Type 1 Diabetes. A Cross-sectional DPV Multicenter Analysis of 24â€‰928 German Children and Adolescents.
- Developing a Personal and Social Identity With Type 1 Diabetes During Adolescence: A Hypothesis Generative Study.
- Hypoglycemia Event Rates: A Comparison Between Real-World Data and Randomized Controlled Trial Populations in Insulin-Treated Diabetes.
- Bariatric Surgery in Obese Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: Effects on Weight Loss and Metabolic Control.
- Early changes in cardiovascular structure and function in adolescents with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Interventions to improve patientsâ€™ compliance with therapies aimed at lowering glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c) in type 1 diabetes: systematic review and meta-analyses of randomized controlled clinical trials of psychological, telecare, and educational interventions. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Decrease by 50% of plasma IgA tissue transglutaminase antibody concentrations within 2 months after start of gluten-free diet in children with celiac disease used as a confirming diagnostic test.
- What's new in gluten?
- Rely on a pediatrician - not parental suspicion - to diagnose celiac disease and gluten intolerance.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- A Do-It-Yourself Revolution in Diabetes Care.
- Break Up the Insulin Racket. See also Eli Lilly's revenue boosted by jacking up cost of insulin for diabetics.
- Insulin pumps and princesses.
- â€˜100 things' book and campaign launch today.
- Mini-Dose Glucagon May Manage Hypoglycemia for Type 1 Diabetes Patients.
- Expert Assembly Spearheaded by American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists/American College of Endocrinology Calls for Expanded Use of Continuous Glucose Monitoring Technology in the Care of People With Diabetes.
- JDRF Announces the Formation of a New Research Advisory Committee to Support Fight Against Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday April 21, 2016 13:34:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.