Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- A Tribute to Al Mann: Units of Insulin, Gallons of Hope. See also Alfred E. Mann, Pioneer in Medical Devices, Dies at 90.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they experience discrimination from friends or family because of diabetes. This week's poll asks our readers who use an insulin pump about the number of different basal rates in their main profile.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
After recently buying "Mary Poppins" on DVD, our 6 kids went around singing all the songs. Well, John, our pumping 5 year old son had to put his own twist on "A Spoonful of Sugar." His version goes:Just a bolus full of insulin makes my sugars come down,I think he may have had some help from his 3 older sisters but now I can't hear the song without singing his rendition.
sugars come down,
sugars come down.
In the most painless way!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake up in the night, see the projection clock that says "5:30" and you think your child's blood sugar is 530! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our daughter randomly gets sick with large ketones. She eats and drinks extra, takes additional insulin. What could be causing this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Expectations for school nurses
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- The Patient Voice 2016: Bridging the Diabetes Gaps will be held on Saturday, March 20th from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 417 E. 61 Street & 1st Avenue in Manhattan.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Bionic Pancreas Updates: Possible Launch with Insulin Alone, with Glucagon to be Added Later.
- Another Day, Another Story of a Diabetes Cure (Hello, ViaCyte).
- Type 1 - My Fourth Child.
- Life With Type 1 Diabetes: My sister isn't the only one living with it.
- A Diabetes Cure: Keeping the Hope Alive.
- DKA Rate During Hospitalization is Too High.
- EastEnders diabetes joke - an ex-comedian responds.
- The Pharmacodynamics, Safety, and Pharmacokinetics of Single Doses of the Motilin Agonist, Camicinal, in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus with Slow Gastric Emptying.
- Hypoglycemia-Associated EEG Changes in Prepubertal Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Epidemiology of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Korea through an Investigation of the National Registration Project of Type 1 Diabetes for the Reimbursement of Glucometer Strips with Additional Analyses Using Claims Data. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Immune recognition and response to the intestinal microbiome in type 1 diabetes.
- The state of the art of islet transplantation and cell therapy in type 1 diabetes.
- Recent advances in understanding Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Hypoglycemia Prevention and User Acceptance of an Insulin Pump System with Predictive Low Glucose Management.
- Event and Cost Offsets of Switching 20% of the Type 1 Diabetes Population in Germany From Multiple Daily Injections to Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion: A 4-Year Simulation Model.
- Higher sleep variability is associated with poorer glycaemic control in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Prehypertension in adolescents with cardiovascular risk: a comparison between type 1 diabetic patients and overweight subjects. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Management of children with type 1 diabetes during illness: a national survey.
- Using technology to advance type 1 diabetes care among women during the reproductive years and in pregnancy.
- Effects of Self-Efficacy and Locus of Control on Future Preconception Counseling Plans of Adult Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Stabilization of glycemic control and improved quality of life using a shared medical appointment model in adolescents with type 1 diabetes in suboptimal control.
- Self-Control, Daily Negative Affect, and Blood Glucose Control in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cancer incidence in persons with type 1 diabetes: a five-country study of 9,000 cancers in type 1 diabetic individuals. See also T1D Linked to Heightened Risk of Some Cancers, Finds Large Study.
- Health-related quality of life and determinant factors in celiac disease. A population-based analysis of adult patients in Spain. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Study of duodenal bacterial communities by 16s rrna gene analysis in adults with active celiac disease versus non celiac disease controls.
- Simultaneous detection of IgA and IgG antibodies against tissue transglutaminase: The preferred pre-biopsy test in childhood celiac disease.
- Prevalence of celiac disease and related antibodies in patients diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome according to the Rome III criteria. A case-control study.
- Stop Making Light of the Gluten-Free Diet.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- For Some Diabetics, a Struggle to Pay for Insulin.
- Bob Krause - 90 year old type 1 diabetic.
- The Importance Of Getting It Right In Diabetes Reporting.
- Victor Garber Supports Young People Living with Type 1 Diabetes: 'You Can Live with It and Thrive'.
- Babies weaned after six months are 'three times as likely to develop type 1 diabetes'.
- The Aussies at risk of dying while they are asleep from Dead-in-Bed syndrome.
- Family's campaign for the 'simple test' that could have saved their 13-year-old son's life.
- Leading Type 1 Diabetes Organizations Collaborate to Improve Health Outcomes and Access to Therapies and Technologies.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 02, 2016 21:40:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.