Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers readers about their insulin pump infusion sets. This week's poll asks our readers how often they do a glucose check in the middle of the night.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
One evening, after dinner, our daughter who has diabetes asked me to get her some Hershey's Kisses to eat. I grabbed the bag as her siblings also asked for some. I gave two to her sister, then I gave my daughter two. She said, "Please give me another one; I bolused for three." Her non-diabetic sister quickly chimed it, "Well, I bolused for five."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find yourself arguing with your daughter because she WON'T eat her ice cream before she goes to bed! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed last August, my daughter now has low grade fevers, aches, and fatigue. Tests for Lyme, mononucleosis, celiac and thyroid issues were negative. What is your opinion?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Correction factor varies with BG?
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- The Patient Voice 2016: Bridging the Diabetes Gaps will be held on Saturday, March 20th from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 417 E. 61 Street & 1st Avenue in Manhattan.
- The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation is hosting a one-day educational event on Saturday, April 9, 2016, entitled Transplantation: An option to explore transplantation for people living with diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in Social Media
- What's Coming in CGM Technology in 2016 and Beyond?
- A Home Run Breakfast with Diabetes.
- I Could Have Died From My Undiagnosed Type 1 Diabetes.
- What Saved My Son's Life.
- Time to Give HCPs a Breakâ€Šâ€”â€ŠForgive but Don't Forget.
- The ups and downs of flying with an Insulin pump.
- When a Teen Stops Treating His Type 1.
- Is Psychological Stress a Factor for Incorporation Into Future Closed-Loop Systems?
- Variability of Insulin Requirements Over 12 Weeks of Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Aspects of Hyperglycemia Contribution to Arterial Stiffness and Cardiovascular Complications in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of insulin pump therapy on long-term glycemic control in a pediatric Spanish cohort.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Type 1 Diabetes: Human Factors and Usage.
- Insulin degludec: The new standard long acting insulin analogue for people with type 1 diabetes?
- Coping and caregiving experience of parents of children and adolescents with type-1 diabetes: An exploratory study. Free full text available in HTML format.
- A randomised trial of the feasibility of a low carbohydrate diet vs standard carbohydrate counting in adults with type 1 diabetes taking body weight into account. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Risk of Headache-Related Healthcare Visits in Patients With Celiac Disease: A Population-Based Observational Study.
- Gluten-Free Easter Candy (Updated March 2016).
- Students struggle with gluten-free diet at university.
Legal and Legislative
- Senator Roth's Measure to Raise Awareness of Type 1 Diabetes Approved by State Senate.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Everyday Heroes - The Calabrese Family.
- Tallahassee woman marks milestone in diabetes treatmen.
- Fifth graders born half a world away find friendship in living with diabetes.
- Elite Sophomore Prospect Abby Prohaska Shoots, Scores, Saves.
- Parents hack kids' glucose monitors to fill medical void.
- 'A scary thing': ex-NHLer Doug Gilmour's personal connection to diabetes fight.
- Seriously ill teen with diabetes died 'hours after doctor failed to diagnose condition'.
- The Motley Fool Sits Down With the CEO of Dexcom Inc.
- LabStyle Innovations' Dario Blood Glucose Monitoring System online e-store and membership program live in US.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 16, 2016 19:49:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.