Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers how often they do a glucose check in the middle of the night. This week's poll asks our readers if they are concerned about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes by Leighann Calentine.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day my mom texted me this: "2 100s today." She watches my son Cole while I attend college full time. I texted back, "Good, I changed his basal the other day." She texted back, "No, I was talking about his school work -- two 100% on his school work." We both laughed really hard -- this would only happen if you had a child with diabetes.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the only thing worse than a substitute teacher is a substitute school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Tests indicate my son has MODY 5. He has been on Humalog, is supposed to start on Lantus. What is the treatment for MODY 5? It seems very few people know.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
First step in 504 process today
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation is hosting a one-day educational event on Saturday, April 9, 2016, entitled Transplantation: An option to explore transplantation for people living with diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in Social Media
- My Time with iLet Bionic Pancreas â€“ First Human Trials!
- Stanford's Bionic Pancreas Study - A Patient's Point of View.
- I feel it.
- The Stomach Flu Away-from-Home -- Prepare Your College T1D.
- Sweet Siblings: Diabetes Youth Advocates Offer Support.
- Insurance Refused to Pay for My Daughterâ€™s Type 1 Diagnosis.
- In Diabetes, Your Word Choice Matters (A Lot).
- T1International and Their Global T1D Mission.
- How Health Insurance Companies Punish Patients.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- My Type One Diabetes Story.
- Can People with Diabetes Drink Alcohol? Endocrinologist Weighs In.
- Team Novo Nordisk | Join Us On Our Journey.
- Performance and safety of an integrated bihormonal artificial pancreas for fully automated glucose control at home.
- GoCARB in the Context of an Artificial Pancreas.
- Artificial Pancreas Success in Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy.
- The relationship between BMI and insulin resistance and progression from single to multiple autoantibody positivity and type 1 diabetes among TrialNet Pathway to Prevention participants.
- Type 1 diabetes prevalence increasing globally and regionally: the role of natural selection and life expectancy at birth. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The incidence rate and prevalence of pediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus (age 0-18) in the Italian region Friuli Venezia Giulia: population-based estimates through the analysis of health administrative databases.
- Lipoprotein composition in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Impact of lipases and adipokines.
- Brain Activation and Psychomotor Speed in Middle-Aged Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: Relationships with Hyperglycemia and Brain Small Vessel Disease.
- Tumor-Free Transplantation of Patient-Derived Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell Progeny for Customized Islet Regeneration.
- Collaborative and Overinvolved Parenting Differentially Predict Outcomes in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bias in food intake reporting in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: the role of body size, age and gender.
- Variations in Daily Sleep Quality and Type 1 Diabetes Management in Late Adolescents.
- The role of socio-economic and clinical factors on HbA1c in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes: an Italian multicentre survey.
- Causes of death in childhood-onset Type 1 diabetes: long-term follow-up.
- Prior knowledge of blood glucose meter download improves the accuracy of verbal self-reported blood glucose in teenagers with type I diabetes at ski camp.
- The fetal glucose steal: an underappreciated phenomenon in diabetic pregnancy.
- Hypersensitivity Reaction to Insulin Glargine and Insulin Detemir in a Pediatric Patient: A Case Report.
- Children and adolescents living with diabetes and celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Michelin-Starred French Restaurant Goes Gluten-Free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Pancreas Transplant May Eliminate Injections for Some With Severe Diabetes.
- How Dogs Can Sniff Out Diabetes and Cancer.
- 'I wish I could go back' â€“ Doctor breaks down as she admits missing diabetes signs in girl who died hours later.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday March 23, 2016 14:54:10
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.