Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- We need your help to Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how often they or their child has had a low glucose related seizure. This week's poll asks our readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When Marissa was home over the weekend, I got up to test her around 4 a.m. (she was staying up until 1:30 or 2:30 doing whatever in her room). Anyway, the one night, I picked up the strips, looked at the code on the meter saying 26 and said to myself, "Guess I'd better change the code since the vial says 50." In that split second, it dawned on me that the "50" I saw on the vial was the NUMBER of strips in the vial. Code 26 was written on the vial, too. It helps to be COMPLETELY conscious when testing our kids.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
A year-round soccer player, my daughter experiences severe calf cramps. Is this because she metabolizes things differently as a diabetic or just a regular overuse, not-stretching-enough issue?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Traveling: how do you deal with jet lag?
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 755 panels, each showing what living with type 1 diabetes means to one family. The next showing is at Friends for Life: Orlando 2016 in July. If you'd like to make a quilt and have it in the display, the quilt must be received by CWD before July 1, 2016.
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- Bolus & Barbells: Event in Austin, TX for Diabetics Who Love Fitness!
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Linguistic Validation Project: English Speakers with Juvenile Diabetes seeks five native speakers of Canadian English to help with a localization project.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Product Review: Dario Blood Glucose Monitoring System.
- The Diabetes Emoticon App is HERE! Download for Free TODAY!
Diabetes in Social Media
- Transforming a "Curse" into a Community â€” Diabetes Camp.
- Teens with Diabetes at Greater Risk of Dropping Out.
- T1D Struggles in Africa and the Birth of the Sonia Nabeta Foundation.
- Bigfoot's Artificial Pancreas Could Hit the Market by 2018.
- Countdown to Medicare with Type 1 Diabetes: 12 Months.
- I Let Diabetes Stop Me But Now That's Changing.
- Measure Seventy-Five Times, Cut Once: Further Blood Glucose Meter Testing.
- Novo Nordisk Embraces the Diabetes Online Community.
Products, Services and Books
- Lilly and Disney's Type 1 Diabetes Bookshelf offers free, digital copies of the Coco books, as well as others. This is a great resource for kids and their parents.
- Prelabor Cesarean Section and Risk of Childhood Type 1 Diabetes - A Nationwide Register-Based Cohort Study.
- HLA-DRB1*03 as a risk factor for microalbuminuria in same duration of type 1 diabetes: a case control study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Validation of a Rapid Type 1 Diabetes Autoantibody Screening Assay for Community Based Screening of Organ Donors to Identify Subjects at Increased Risk for the Disease.
- Increased mortality in a Danish cohort of young people with Type 1 diabetes mellitus followed for 24 years. See also New studies reveal large gap in life expectancy between patients with type 1 diabetes and the general population.
- Pancreatic volume is reduced in patients with latent autoimmune diabetes in adults (LADA).
- ENDO: Farxiga Proves Effective in T1D, But Is it Safe?
- Monogenic Diabetes: What It Teaches Us on the Common Forms of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Vitamin D and pancreas: the role of sunshine vitamin in the pathogenesis of Diabetes Mellitus and Pancreatic Cancer.
- Anti-Insulin Immune Responses Are Detectable in Dogs with Spontaneous Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Impact of Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Patients 65 Years and Older. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Prevalence of Insulin Pump Therapy and Its Association with Measures of Glycemic Control: Results from the Canadian Study of Longevity in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Texting Adolescents in Repeat DKA and Their Caregivers.
- Sleep duration and its impact on adherence in adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Long-acting Insulin Analogs Effect on gh/igf Axis of Children with Type 1 Diabetes: a Randomized, Open-label, Two-period, Cross-over Trial.
- Glucose variability and inner retinal sensory neuropathy in persons with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- A Study of the Carbohydrate-to-Insulin Ratio in Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes on Pump Treatment.
- Glycaemic control and risk of incident urinary incontinence in women with Type 1 diabetes: results from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial and Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications study (DCCT/EDIC).
- Risk of epilepsy in type 1 diabetes mellitus: a population-based cohort study.
- Prevalence of Disturbed Eating Behavior in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Assessment and Comparison to Healthy Peers - Results of a Multicenter Questionnaire-based Study.
- Barriers to Active Lifestyles in Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Influences on Technology Use and Efficacy in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Hyperketonemia and ketosis increase the risk of complications in type 1 diabetes.
- Concentrated insulins: the new basal insulins. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Anemia in Pediatric Celiac Disease: Association with Clinical and Histological Features and Response to Gluten-free Diet.
- Detection of Active Epstein-Barr Virus Infection in Duodenal Mucosa of Patients With Refractory Celiac Disease.
- Celiac Disease and Risk of Autoimmune Disorders: A Population-Based Matched Birth Cohort Study.
- As A Mom, Gluten-Free Certification Is A Matter Of Trust.
- Celitax helps celiac disease sufferers track gluten-free purchases.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- What's behind skyrocketing insulin prices? See also Lifesaving Diabetes Drug Price Tripled in 10 Years and Insulin prices have skyrocketed, putting drug makers on the defensive.
- Artificial Pancreas Makers Race to Marke.
- Diabetes: From Ancient Discovery To Contemporary Treatment.
- Hope for the Battle against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Cell Therapy Trial Enrolls First Patient at Sanford.
- For teen with type 1 diabetes, it's about numbers - and a whole lot more.
- Florida Southern Women's Soccer Supports Teammate in Fight Against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Nottingham mum-of-six to run London Marathon for diabetic brother.
- Abbott hosts first ever sleepover at London Planetarium for children with T1 diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday April 06, 2016 19:40:40
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.