Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July with CWD Fundraiser
Docu-Diabetes II Call for Movies
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2016? Join us for our Fourth of July Fireworks Fundraise at FFL Orlando 2016 on Monday, July 4th in Orlando, to benefit Children with Diabetes.
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Mom-Tested Solutions From the Friends for Life Conference.
- Last week's poll asked our readers about how often they or their child gets a retinal photograph. This week's poll asks parents how soon after their child's diagnosis they began going out with just their spouse.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Little Red Sports Car by Eleanor Troutt, illustrated by J. Chris Price.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
While putting on my makeup, my 8-year-old diabetic daughter was looking at a lipstick case with several different colors in it. She said, "Hey, this looks like my ketone strip -- this shade is high and this one is trace."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you get an advertisement online saying that they have the perfect pump and you wonder, "Animas or Tandem?", only to find out it is a shoe store advertisement. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed three months ago, my toddler has elevated pre-dinner blood sugars. Is it because she naps in the afternoon? Is she having roller coaster blood sugars because she is so young?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Son returned from school trip in DKA / need help finding an advocate to deal with school
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 755 panels, each showing what living with type 1 diabetes means to one family. The next showing is at Friends for Life: Orlando 2016 in July. If you'd like to make a quilt and have it in the display, the quilt must be received by CWD before July 1, 2016.
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, firstname.lastname@example.org, for more information.
Conferences and Events
- The 2016 ConnecT1D Retreat, a one- to two-day retreat for adults, teens and young adults with type 1 diabetes, will be held from June 25-26, 2016 in Seattle, Washington.
- ANNOUNCING: The 2016 DiabetesMine Patient Voices Contest - Get Your Mentor On!
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Linguistic Validation Project: English Speakers with Juvenile Diabetes seeks five native speakers of Canadian English to help with a localization project.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Exclusive Preview: InSpark's New Vigilant App Predicts Hypoglycemia.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Guest Post: Peer Support, and Mending a Broken Heart.
- The Diabetes Emotional Roller Coaster.
- Letting The World Know: Pregnancy with Type 1 Diabetes Is Possible.
- Endo Discusses Diabetes and Heart Disease.
- Spotlight on The BETES Org: The Patient Voice 2016.
- Pregnancy and Diabetes: When and Why Your Blood Sugar Levels Matters Most.
- The Deadly Earthquake of Nepal and How this Type 1 Survived Everest.
- A Letter to the CEO of Humana.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at email@example.com.
Products, Services and Books
- Ginger Vieira and Jennifer Smith are self publishing Pregnancy with Type 1 Diabetes: Your Month-to-Month Guide, and they need your help.
- Multinational Home Use of Closed-Loop Control Is Safe and Effective.
- Gut microbiota of Type 1 diabetes patients with good glycaemic control and high physical fitness is similar to people without diabetes: an observational study.
- Phase 3 Trial of Transplantation of Human Islets in Type 1 Diabetes Complicated by Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Identification of Tetraspanin-7 as a Target of Autoantibodies in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Final piece of type 1 diabetes puzzle solved and Scientists Have Solved A Major Diabetes Mystery.
- Vitamin D-binding protein and 25-hydroxyvitamin D during pregnancy in mothers whose children later developed type 1 diabetes.
- Blockade of glucagon signaling prevents or reverses diabetes onset only if residual Î˛-cells persist.
- Incidence of Type 1 Diabetes among Children and Adolescents in Italy between 2009 and 2013: The Role of a Regional Childhood Diabetes Registry. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Using Insulin Injections.
- Association Between Use of Lipid-Lowering Therapy and Cardiovascular Diseases and Death in Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Addition of Liraglutide to Insulin in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial of 12 Weeks.
- Association between Responsible Pet Ownership and Glycemic Control in Youths with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Responsible pet care associated with well-controlled blood sugar in diabetic children.
- Feasibility of Parent-to-Parent Support in Recently Diagnosed Childhood Diabetes: The PLUS Study.
- Natural history of retinopathy in children and young people with type 1 diabetes.
- Influences of gender on cardiovascular disease risk factors in adolescents with and without type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The simultaneous control of hyperglycemia and GLP-1 infusion normalize endothelial function in type 1 diabetes.
- Dietary patterns are associated with various vascular health markers and complications in type 1 diabetes.
- Improved incidence of end-stage renal disease of type 1 diabetes in Japan, from a hospital-based survey. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Accuracy of Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase IgA Antibody in the Diagnosis of Paediatric Celiac Disease.
- Moran: The difficulty of eating in Hong Kong with celiac disease.
- Gluten-free brews a boon for thirsty celiac sufferers.
- Traveling while gluten free: a survival guide.
- River Edge moms start support group for living a life free of gluten.
- Children's Hospital Colorado helping Colorado kitchens go gluten-free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Latest On The Sanford Project: Clinical Trial Studying Type 1 Diabetes In Children.
- Scioto Foundation Announces New MacKenzie Brown Type I Diabetes Scholarship Fund.
- Franklin College softball player doesnâ€™t let diabetes slow her down.
- I Built a Superpower to Treat My Son's Diabetes.
- Girls soccer notes: Diabetes can't slow Andrew senior Abby Hooker.
- The other diabetes: Type 1 less known, no less serious.
- Founder of Silicon Alley darling Razorfish expands diabetes app.
- Could a cheap drug PREVENT type 1 diabetes? 'At risk' children will be given common treatment for disease to see if it stops it developing.
- New Vigilantâ„˘ Diabetes Management Companion Launched in U.S. That Alerts Users to Risk of Severe Hypoglycemia in Next 24 Hours.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday April 27, 2016 20:38:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.