Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July with CWD Fundraiser
You're a CWD Star!
Docu-Diabetes II Call for Movies
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Our Community Stories.
- T1D Exchange Data Shows Patients Want Choice in Devices and Therapies.
- Last week's poll asked readers when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks our readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes (companion to the 13th Edition of "Understanding Diabetes") by H. Peter Chase, MD and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were walking along with some friends. My daughter Corie, age 12, dx at age 2, was wearing her insulin pump on her hip. I was holding hands with a younger child in the group (Cole age 6) who has a little thing for Corie. He saw the pump site. I asked him if he knew what it was. He replied, "Yes, that is where you plug her in for her energy."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, while driving in the car with your diabetic child, a radio show asks listeners to call in with the answer to the question, "What do parents most often say at their kids?" and your daughter answers, "Did you bolus?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed nine years ago, my daughter seems to be suffering from diabetes burnout, does not want to discuss it, seems sad at times. How can I help her?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How soon to change dosing?
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, email@example.com, for more information.
Conferences and Events
- The 2016 ConnecT1D Retreat, a one- to two-day retreat for adults, teens and young adults with type 1 diabetes, will be held from June 25-26, 2016 in Seattle, Washington.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Perspectives on Diabetes: Why Children with Diabetes Matters.
- 2016 Diabetes Blog Week Topics & Posts.
- Diabetes Blog Week: Language and Diabetes.
- Fashion, Advocacy and Community: How a Gown Stole a JDRF Gala Show.
- The Art of the Insulin Pump Break.
- Tips for Transitioning to College.
- Honesty â€” How this Type 1 Overcame Diabulimia.
- How to Avoid Overcorrecting for a Low.
- Why People with Type 1 Diabetes May Have Digestive Problems.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Carbohydrate Estimation by a Mobile Phone-Based System Versus Self-Estimations of Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Comparative Study. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Human type 1 diabetes is characterized by an early, marked, sustained and islet-selective loss of sympathetic nerves.
- Day and Night Closed-Loop Glucose Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Under Free-Living Conditions: Results of a Single-Arm 1-Month Experience Compared With a Previously Reported Feasibility Study of Evening and Night at Home.
- Mitigating Meal-Related Glycemic Excursions in an Insulin-Sparing Manner During Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery: The Beneficial Effects of Adjunctive Pramlintide and Liraglutide.
- Randomized Summer Camp Crossover Trial in 5- to 9-Year-Old Children: Outpatient Wearable Artificial Pancreas Is Feasible and Safe.
- Insulin Gene Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Unique Challenges Require Innovative Solutions.
- Glucodynamics of Long-Acting Basal Insulin Peglispro (BIL) Compared With Insulin Glargine at Steady State in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes: substudy of a randomized crossover trial.
- Nocturnal Hypoglycemia and Physical Activity in Children With Diabetes: New Insights by Continuous Glucose Monitoring and Accelerometry.
- Insulin pump basal adjustment for exercise in type 1 diabetes: a randomised crossover study.
- Insulin regimens, diabetes knowledge, quality of life, and HbA1c in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- The impact of insurance coverage and the family on pediatric diabetes management.
- Symptoms of depression and anxiety in youth with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Generic and disease-specific quality of life in adolescents with type 1 diabetes: comparison to age-matched healthy peers.
- Life With Type 1 Diabetes: Views of Hispanic Adolescents and Their Clinicians.
- Diabetes Educators' Intended and Reported Use of Common Diabetes-Related Technologies: Discrepancies and Dissonance.
- Premeal insulin decreases arterial stiffness in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Rates and predictors of hypoglycaemia in 27,585 people from 24 countries with insulin-treated type 1 and type 2 diabetes: the global HAT study.
- Delayed gastric emptying does not normalize after gluten withdrawal in adult celiac disease.
- Gluten-Free Glutton: Celiac disease is no laughing matter.
Legal and Legislative
- Some Summer Camps Rejecting Diabetic Children.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Is more monitoring better for Type 1 diabetes patients?
- I Donâ€™t Let Type 1 Diabetes Get in My Way.
- Father shows mettle to heave anvil up mountain in support of ill daughter.
- Charlie Kimballâ€™s car will change number.
- First Colonial soccer defender battles opponents and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Isabella Lewis first in Kent to try new Omnipod diabetes management system.
- Gate City High School doubles partners manage juvenile diabetes together.
- Jane Fonda, Sidney Poitier, Sherry Lansing, David Foster to Be Honored at Carousel of Hope Ball.
- Trip Of A Lifetime: Sioux Falls Boy With Type 1 Will Test Out Artificial Pancreas.
- Major conference for type 1 diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday May 25, 2016 15:40:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.