Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July Fireworks Fundraiser
You're a CWD Star!
Docu-Diabetes II Call for Movies
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- United's deal with Medtronic angers diabetics over insurance.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child has been screened for monogenic diabetes. This week's poll asks our readers if they have considered adding medications designed for people with type 2 diabetes to their diabetes care regimen.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Raising Teens with Diabetes: A Survival Guide for Parents by Moira McCarthy.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I am home schooling our 5 year old son, who just went on the pump 5 months ago. Today we were learning about the letter 'S'. He was excited. "I know what begins with 'S'- 'Site change'! I'm sure any other teacher would be more than a little perplexed by this answer.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you grab the meter after cutting YOURSELF - that big drop of blood's just too perfect to waste! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Can someone go in and out of the honeymoon? Sometimes our daughter needs no insulin for weeks, then needs daily shots for a few weeks, then no insulin, etc.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Mother of 22 month old, post-DKA type 1 diagnosis
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, email@example.com, for more information.
Conferences and Events
- You still have time to recommend your family for a Free Family Diabetes weekend.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Racing on Insulin: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500.
- The Best Insulin Pump - The One You Use.
- Tresiba Insulin: I Truly Feel In Control of My Diabetes!
- Pros and Cons of a Continuous Glucose Monitor.
- The Tired T1D Parent â€” A Unique Perspective.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- CGM in the Cloud Co-Founder Jason Adams.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enhanced differentiation of human amniotic fluid-derived stem cells into insulin-producing cells in vitro.
- Frequency of Diabetes and Thyroid Autoantibodies in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Siblings. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Non-invasive, home-based electroencephalography hypoglycaemia warning system for personal monitoring using skin surface electrodes: a single-case feasibility study.
- Diabetes Technology: Uptake, Outcomes, Barriers, and the Intersection With Distress.
- How Technology Influences Diabetes Care.
- Indications for Insulin Pump Therapy in Type 1 Diabetes and Associations With Glycemic Control.
- Early reduced myocardial diastolic function in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus a population-based study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Evaluation of left and right ventricular functions using conventional and tissue Doppler echocardiography in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Association Between Severity of Hypoglycemia and Loss of Heart Rate Variability in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Hypoglycemic episodes are associated with inflammatory status in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Prevalence of psychosocial morbidity in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a survey from Northern India.
- Skin autofluorescence and peripheral neuropathy four years later in type 1 diabetes.
- Addition of Farxiga to insulin, liraglutide improves glycemia in type 1 diabetes.
- Travelers Need to Correct Insulin Timing.
- In the Internet Economy, Patients Are Taking Control of Their Health Care references A Patient-Designed Do-It-Yourself Mobile Technology System for Diabetes, previously reported.
- Use of Telemedicine for Management of Diabetes in Correctional Facilities.
- To your health: Why a formal diagnosis of celiac disease is so important.
- Traveling While Gluten-Free? What To Consider From Someone with Celiac Diseas.
- Proctor First Grader Navigates Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 6-year-old participates in medical trial.
- Students engineer mobile app to help Type 1 diabetics, win national award.
- Diabetes tries to tell NASCAR driver Ryan Reed, fan they canâ€™t, but they donâ€™t listen.
- New device for diabetes eliminates the need for painful finger pricking.
- sugarBEAT Continous Glucometer Cleared in Europe.
- Diabetic services at â€˜crisis pointâ€™.
- Senseonics Signs Exclusive Distribution Agreement with Roche.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday June 01, 2016 19:46:02
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.