Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July Fireworks Fundraiser
You're a CWD Star!
Docu-Diabetes II Call for Movies
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
- Many thanks to Dexcom for including Children with Diabetes in their 10 Year Anniversary giving program.
New This Week
- Tell the FDA Your Opinions on Using CGM For Insulin Dosing.
- Diabetes and Ramadan Practical Guidelines.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have considered adding medications designed for people with type 2 diabetes to their diabetes care regimen. This week's poll asks our readers about themselves.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Balancing Diabetes: Conversations about finding happiness and living well by Kerri Sparling.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
I work at a daycare center and all the kids were curious about my new pump. I explained to them that when I eat, I push some buttons and it gives me insulin, and that keeps me healthy. I told them that it was very important that I do this. After snack time I was cleaning up and grabbed a few cheerios to eat. Then when I went to play with the kids again, one four-year-old crossed her arms and looked at me sternly. "Erica, are you going to push the buttons or am I going to have to?" It was so cute that they were taking care of me!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're proud when your 3 year old can 'aim' to hit the ketone test strip. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My wife believes that type 1 "goes sideways" genetically, that because her siblings have it, she is a carrier of the disease. Is this correct?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Mealtimes and balancing T1D and non-D kids' needs
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, email@example.com, for more information.
- Ketones â€” The 6 Must-Knows.
- Be a part of The Human Trial legacy by helping to fund this amazing documentary film.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes in School
- Management of type 1 diabetes in school.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Diabetes is evil but the DOC is unconditional love.
- Owning our space.
- J&Jâ€™s OneTouch Via Mealtime Insulin Delivery Device + First Look at its Artificial Pancreas Device.
- The Price of Diabetes in the U.S.
- DKA: Raising Awareness To Save Lives.
- First Month of My Insulin Pump Break.
- Goodbye to Artie the Artificial Pancreas.
- Cellnovo and TypeZero Partner to Create Artificial Pancreas.
- Just How Smart Will â€śSmart Insulinâ€ť Be?
- Your Insulin May Be Getting Smarter.
- Top 30 Diabetes Blogs You Should Be Reading in 2016.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- JDRF's Dr. Aaron Kowalski offers a JDRF Top Advances update.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Day-and-Night Closed-Loop Control Using the Unified Safety System in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes at Camp.
- Generation of Functional Beta-Like Cells from Human Exocrine Pancreas. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Neonatal vitamin D status is not associated with later risk of type 1 diabetes: results from two large Danish population-based studies.
- Predictors of slow progression to diabetes in children with multiple islet autoantibodies.
- Pancreas-protective effect of rituximab for acute-onset type 1 diabetes in the honeymoon period: a case report. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Experimental Therapy Shows Promise for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Current outcomes in islet versus solid organ pancreas transplant for Î˛-cell replacement in type 1 diabetes.
- Retention of gene expression in porcine islets after agarose encapsulation and long-term culture.
- Long-term Cognitive Implications of Intrauterine Hyperglycemia in Adolescent Offspring of Women With Type 1 Diabetes (the EPICOM Study).
- Association of HbA1c to BOLUS Scores Among Youths with Type 1 Diabetes.
- GLP-1 Agonists in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Review of the Literature.
- 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and glycemic control: A cross-sectional study of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- How are metabolic control targets of patients with Type 1 diabetes mellitus achieved in daily practice in the area with high diabetes prevalence?
- Glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes mellitus among children and adolescents in a resource limited setting in Dar es Salaam - Tanzania. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Towards a better understanding of type 1 diabetes.
- The Clinical and Economic Impact of the V-GoÂ® Disposable Insulin Delivery Device for Insulin Delivery in Patients with Poorly Controlled Diabetes at High Risk.
- Celiac Disease Negatively Influences Lipid Profiles in Youngest Children With Type 1 Diabetes: Effect of the Gluten-Free Diet.
- New Stanford celiac disease resource offers help with gluten-free diets.
- Managing Celiac Disease for Women: Implications for the Primary Care Provider.
- How much can Celiac Disease affect an athlete's performance?
- A New Technique Improves the Detection of Gluten in Food â€“ A Boost for those with Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Substandard Type 1 Diabetes Care in Utah School Alleged.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The Surprising Way Baby Daddy's Derek Theler Conceals His Insulin Pump When He Goes Shirtless on TV. See also Baby Daddy's Derek Theler on Growing Up with Type 1 Diabetes: My Parents Lived in Fear I'd Go into Insulin Shock.
- Smart pumps, smarter insulin: Boston's T1D Exchange aids innovation in type 1 diabetes.
- Pancreas procedure for Type 1 diabetes.
- Man hauls anvil up mountain to support diabetic daughter.
- Diabetes award for school.
- A Ride Worth Taking: Family Raises Big Money for Type 1 Diabetes.
- From London to Ottawa: Mom walks to Parliament Hill for diabetes awareness.
- Taking action against discrimination in Kuwait.
- Educate Your Immune System.
- Valeritas Announces Retrospective Analysis of the V-GoÂ® Disposable Insulin Delivery Device Published Online in Drugs-Real World Outcomes, an International, Peer-Reviewed Journal.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday June 08, 2016 18:37:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.