Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July Fireworks Fundraiser
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Many thanks to Dexcom for including Children with Diabetes in their 10 Year Anniversary giving program.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have sought counseling to help cope with their diabetes care. This week's poll asks our readers how they usually check for ketones.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
As a new pumper, I wanted to express to the world the sad fact. Therefore, I specialized my license plate-NSLNPMP. To my chagrin, nobody had any idea what it stood for, but my dad (who has a pretty good understanding of me) had the most original idea -- "Nice and Plump?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go to tell the person in front of you that their pump tubing is hanging out, only to realize that it's the headphone wire connected to their iPod. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed with type 1 at 2, my grandson has just started on Ritalin as he begins kindergarten. What effects might the drug have on his blood sugars?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
First road trip -- tips?
Diabetes in Social Media
- Why Are So Many Kids Dying From Undiagnosed Type 1 Diabetes?
- What's Happening in Response to #DiabetesAccessMatters.
- Being a Diabetes Medical Supply Hoarder.
- The Day Type 1 Diabetes Changed For Me.
- Dr. Lois Jovanovic. The Woman Who Changed The Way We Treat Diabetes Today.
- A Push to Expand Insulin Access in Pennsylvania Schools.
- The FDA Describes Efforts to Speed Up Artificial Pancreas Development.
- Outcome Measures for Artificial Pancreas Clinical Trials: A Consensus Report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Randomized trial of a dual-hormone artificial pancreas with dosing adjustment during exercise compared with no adjustment and sensor-augmented pump therapy.
- Comparative Pharmacokinetic/Pharmacodynamic Study of Liquid Stable Glucagon Versus Lyophilized Glucagon in Type 1 Diabetes Subjects.
- The prevalence of early subclinical somatic neuropathy in children and adolescents with Type 1 diabetes mellitus and its association with the persistence of autoantibodies to glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD) and islet antigen-2 (IA-2).
- Recruitment Into a Pediatric Continuous Glucose Monitoring RCT: Patient and Recruitment Process Characteristics Associated With Decision to Participate.
- Altered Integration of Structural Covariance Networks in Young Children With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Exhaled Breath Isoprene Rises During Hypoglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also We Finally Know How Dogs Sniff Out Diabetes.
- Carbohydrate Counting at Meal Time Followed by a Small Secondary Postprandial Bolus Injection at 3 Hours Prevents Late Hyperglycemia, Without Hypoglycemia, After a High-Carbohydrate, High-Fat Meal in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Short-term cost-effectiveness of insulin detemir and insulin aspart in people with type 1 diabetes who are prone to recurrent severe hypoglycaemia.
- Glycemic control during consecutive days with prolonged walking exercise in individuals with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Management of Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy.
- Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy, Sexual Dysfunction, and Urinary Incontinence in Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Ketoacidosis at first presentation of type 1 diabetes mellitus among children: a study from Kuwait. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac disease: understanding the gluten-free diet.
- Gluten-Free Diet Beneficial in T1D With Concurrent Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- Mississippi State Representative offers jaw-dropping response to diabetic child's mother. See also State representative to mom: Buy your own meds, Mississippi lawmaker to voter: 'I could care less', Guice probably wishes he hadnâ€™t hit the send button, Lawmaker's response to mom of diabetic child sparks outrage.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Health insurer's limit on insulin pumps worries patients.
- 'Hacking' a Diabetes Cure?
- Hunter Johnson, 12, thrives in sports despite diabetes diagnosis.
- The Best Prom.
- Dad's ingenious solution to disguising daughter's glucose monitor.
- Double-duty brings out his best.
- Jaxonâ€™s journey: Teen adjusts to new life after Type 1 diabetes diagnosis.
- Bionic pancreas operated by iPhone provides better control of type 1 diabeticsâ€™ glucose level.
- Congressional Members Join the Diabetes Patient Advocacy Coalition in Call for Immediate Suspension of Medicare's Bidding Program.
- Diabetes Scholars Foundation Announces 2016 Scholarship Recipients.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday June 29, 2016 19:24:31
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.