Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Many thanks to Dexcom for including Children with Diabetes in their 10 Year Anniversary giving program.
New This Week
- Friends for Life Orlando 2016 is over. We'll have a report and photos online in the coming weeks.
- After Six Days At The Children With Diabetes, Friends For Life Conference - It's Too Quiet.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they experience a financial burden paying for diabetes care supplies. This week's poll asks readers who use a CGM how often they dose insulin based solely on their CGM readings.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My two sons, ages 9 and 7, share a bedroom. The 9 year old is a type 1 diabetic. As usual, I did the 2 a.m. BG test. I found him to be 97 so I ran downstairs to get some juice. While I was busy prodding and pushing him to get awake to drink it, I realized my boys had - for fun - switched beds for the nights and I was testing the child without diabetes and trying to give him juice! Thankfully, as bleary-eyed as I was, I figured it out :)
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child learns to count backwards before learning to count forwards--they learn this from watching their meter countdown. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter had elevated blood sugars when at the ER three times for kidney infections, but testing was negative. Could she be in the early stages of type 1?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How often do you have to go to school/preschool for your T1D child?
Support and Advocacy
- MasterLab 2016: A Different Approach to Diabetes Advocacy.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is hosting a virtual 5K walk/run. Our virtual walk/run is simple, stress free and fun. Sign up for our 5K and pledge to walk/run a 5K by Sweetest Day, October 15th. We will award you a tech t-shirt and a medal. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation relies on support from corporations and individual. Here's your chance to take some strides that will help students with diabetes make strides - through scholarships, conference attendance and more! Supporting our virtual run will help us continue to carry out our mission and you will be changing the life of someone living with type 1 diabetes. Thank you for your generous support. To register, go to our website at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ectm0hqx4bc1ccb8&llr=ccuybkkab. Thank you for your support.
Diabetes in School
- The American Diabetes Association is offering a free back-to-school webinar on July 21 at 2 pm (ET). From developing written care plans to learning about your childâ€™s federal and state legal protections in the school setting, this webinar will cover vital information for the upcoming school year. Register at www.diabetes.org/cwdsas.
Diabetes in Social Media
- UnitedHealthcare, We Need Insulin Pump Choices.
- Does CGM Benefit Injection Users? Yes! Results from Dexcomâ€™s DIaMonD Study.
- Readers Speak About Injecting in Public.
- Diabetes Camp â€” My Why.
- Finding Hope and Grace with 2 T1D Kids.
- FreeStyle Libre Shines in Type 1 Diabetes Study: A Decrease of 74 Minutes Per Day Spent in Hypoglycemia.
- The Story Behind the Survey: How Glu and DiabetesDad are Tackling Misdiagnosis through Patient Research.
- Start Your Engine1 ... New Mobile App for Exercise Planning with T1D.
- T1D Swimming Champs.
- Factors contributing to partial remission in type 1 diabetes: analysis based on the insulin dose-adjusted HbA1c in 3657 children and adolescents from Germany and Austria.
- Fall in C-Peptide During First 4 Years From Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes: Variable Relation to Age, HbA1c, and Insulin Dose.
- Dysregulation of glucose metabolism in preclinical type 1 diabetes. Free full text also available in PDF format.
- A novel approach for the analysis of longitudinal profiles reveals delayed progression to type 1 diabetes in a subgroup of multiple-islet-autoantibody-positive children.
- Ketone production in children with type 1 diabetes, ages 4-14 years, with and without nocturnal insulin pump suspension.
- Changes in HbA1c and Weight Following Transition to Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Psychological barriers to optimal insulin therapy: more concerns in adolescent females than males. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin pump therapy in children with type 1 diabetes: analysis of data from the SWEET registry.
- Subjective sleep disturbances and glycemic control in adults with long-standing type 1 diabetes: The Pittsburgh's Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications study.
- EEG power and glucose fluctuations are coupled during sleep in young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Body mass index and adiposity indicators associated with cardiovascular biomarkers in youth with type 1 diabetes followed prospectively.
- The effect of Ramadan fasting on glycaemic control in insulin dependent diabetic patients: A literature review.
- Direct Costs in Patients with Celiac Disease in the USA: A Retrospective Claims Analysis.
- Celiac disease diagnosis still significantly delayed - Doctor's but not patients' delay responsive for the increased total delay in women.
- Celiac patients' attitudes regarding novel therapies.
- In Memory of Bread: A bread and beer lover has to go gluten-free.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The DIY diabetes kit that's keeping us alive.
- Britain's diabetic leader reflects differing healthcare systems.
- Increased hospital admissions for hypoglycemia in England over last 10 years.
- KORN Singer Talks Son's Battle With Diabetes.
- Campaign launched to help parents recognise type 1 diabetes in children.
- Thoeny has lived with Type 1 diabetes for 60 years.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Announces FDA Clearance of Remote Software Update Tool for Insulin Pumps.
- JDRF and TrialReach Launch a New, No Cost Clinical Trial Matching Tool to Solve Critical Challenges in Diabetes Research.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday July 20, 2016 19:01:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.