Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Many thanks to Dexcom for including Children with Diabetes in their 10 Year Anniversary giving program.
New This Week
- See our collection of over 3,000 photos from Friends for Life Orlando 2016.
- FDA Advisory Panel votes 8-2 in favor of a non-adjunctive (replacement) insulin dosing label update for Dexcom's G5 CGM!
- Last week's poll asked readers who use a CGM how often they dose insulin based solely on their CGM readings. This week's poll asks readers if they reuse their diabetes care products.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your kid has one extra dance recital ticket and of all the people in the world to invite, she invites the school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our child's insulin is stored in the refrigerator until opened. With the storms and extended power outage in our area, what is considered safe for insulin storage?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is hosting a virtual 5K walk/run. Our virtual walk/run is simple, stress free and fun. Sign up for our 5K and pledge to walk/run a 5K by Sweetest Day, October 15th. We will award you a tech t-shirt and a medal. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation relies on support from corporations and individual. Here's your chance to take some strides that will help students with diabetes make strides - through scholarships, conference attendance and more! Supporting our virtual run will help us continue to carry out our mission and you will be changing the life of someone living with type 1 diabetes. Thank you for your generous support. To register, go to our website at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ectm0hqx4bc1ccb8&llr=ccuybkkab. Thank you for your support.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Tell Us about Your Type 1 Diagnosis.
- Glucagon the Sole Focus of a Bionic Pancreas Trial.
- 10 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes, Part 1.
- A Trip to Diabetes Camp.
- Country Singer RaeLynn Talks Diabetes.
- Mother Of a Type 1 Diabetic.
- Conferences: Theyâ€™re Not About Diabetes, Theyâ€™re All About the People.
- Should vs. Must â€“ My Newest Diabetes Change Hack.
- The Artificial Pancreas Youâ€™ve Never Heard Of: â€śGenesisâ€ť.
- If you Give a T1D a Slice of Cake â€“ Real Diabetes.
- Eye on the ball â€“ by Oliver Double.
- Baby and Blood Sugars: Planning for Changes Sooner Than Expected.
- A Heartbreaking Diabetes Coincidence that Made a Friendship Stronger.
- Coprogression of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Type 1 Diabetes During 30 Years of Follow-up in the DCCT/EDIC Study.
- Safety of using real-time sensor glucose values for treatment decisions in adolescents with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes mellitus: a pilot study.
- Overweight among children and adolescent with type I diabetes mellitus: prevalence and associated factors. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A longitudinal investigation of cognitive function in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Potential positive impact of group-based diabetes dialogue meetings on diabetes distress and glucose control in people with type 1 diabetes.
- CONCEPTT: Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Women with Type 1 Diabetes in Pregnancy Trial: A multi-center, multi-national, randomized controlled trial - Study protocol. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type 1 diabetes: the need for culture-appropriate nutritional information for carbohydrate counting.
- A cohort of children with type 1 diabetes in Greece: predictors of direct costs of care.
- Acute Painful Neuropathy in a Girl with Type 1 Diabetes: Long Term Follow-Up. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Canadian Study toward Changing Local Practice in the Diagnosis of Pediatric Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Altered Esophageal Mucosal Structure in Patients with Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gastrointestinal Symptoms in Celiac Disease Patients on a Long-Term Gluten-Free Diet.
- Symptomatic suspected gluten exposure is common among patients with coeliac disease on a gluten-free diet.
- Celiac Disease and Gluten-Free Oats: A Canadian Position Based on a Literature Review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Eastern Idaho farmer hopes to become a top quinoa producer.
Legal and Legislative
- Lawsuit Accuses U.S. Army of Denying Diabetes Treatment for Children on Army Bases.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Eric Paslay Opens Up About His Struggle with Diabetes.
- Pilot with Type 1 diabetes who has raised more than $150,000 for research will speak in Council Bluffs.
- Local singer pays it forward; Children with diabetes enjoy concert by Crystal Bowersox.
- Nick Jonas Makes Dreams Come True for Pediatric Diabetes Patients with a Meet and Greet Before His Boston Concert.
- Southwest flight attendant soothes girl with diabetes after moment of panic.
- Living With Type 1 Diabetes: Amina's Pas de Deux.
- Meet the Colorado doctor helping Hispanic families with Type 1 diabetes.
- Dexcom â€śCommittedâ€ť to Bringing CGM to Medicare Population.
- Oakland hackers take a stab at making crowdfunded insulin.
- CIRM grants ViaCyte $3.9 million for diabetes stem cell therapy.
- FDA Advisory Committee Votes in Favor of Non-Adjunctive Label for DexCom G5 Mobile CGM System.
- Tandem Diabetes CareÂ® Announces Expanded Pediatric Indication of t:slimÂ® Insulin Pump for Ages 6 and Older.
- Bigfoot Biomedical Enrolls First Patients in Clinical Trial of smartloopâ„˘ Automated Insulin Delivery System.
- Tandem Diabetes Care and TypeZero Technologies Announce License Agreement to Accelerate Development and Commercialization of Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas System.
- First Type 1 Diabetes Patient in Europe is Free from Insulin Therapy after Undergoing Diabetes Research Instituteâ€™s BioHub Transplant Technique.
- JDRF Announces Partnership with Arecor Ltd to Support Development of a Stable, Rapid-Acting, Ultra-Concentrated Insulin.
- DreaMed Diabetes Raises $3.3 Million From Norma Investments and a Strategic Investor.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday July 27, 2016 20:49:05
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.