Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- We report on our Friends for Life Orlando 2016 conference.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering Family Scholarships for our Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016 conference.
- What diabetes outcomes beyond A1c matter most to YOU? The FDA wants to know!
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is hosting a virtual 5K walk/run. Our virtual walk/run is simple, stress free and fun. Sign up for our 5K and pledge to walk/run a 5K by Sweetest Day, October 15th. We will award you a tech t-shirt and a medal. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation relies on support from corporations and individual. Here's your chance to take some strides that will help students with diabetes make strides - through scholarships, conference attendance and more! Supporting our virtual run will help us continue to carry out our mission and you will be changing the life of someone living with type 1 diabetes. Thank you for your generous support. To register, go to our website at http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ectm0hqx4bc1ccb8&llr=ccuybkkab. Thank you for your support.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers who drive how often they check their blood sugar before the drive. This week's poll asks our readers if their child has a 504 plan at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 9 year old son has had type 1 since he was three and has just started playing hockey. The team is having hockey photos taken next week. The required form asks "What is your favorite pro team?" Because I didn't know, I asked Jonathan what his favorite pro team was. He thought for a while and then answered "Fried Chicken." I looked at him funny and said "Fried Chicken is your favorite professional hockey team?" He laughed and said, "Oh, I thought you asked me what my favorite protein was!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you ask your child what they had for lunch and they reply 45 carbs! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Hours after receiving her flu vaccine, my daughter's blood sugar spiked. Can the immune response from the flu shot cause this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Treating plummeting lows
Diabetes in School
- Back to School Night with Type 1 Diabetes.
- What Your Childâ€™s Teacher Doesnâ€™t Know About Type 1.
Diabetes in Social Media
- I Was Hooked Up to Bigfootâ€™s Artificial Pancreas.
- Sharing the Responsibility of a Kid with Type 1 Diabete.
- A Brave Girl Beating The Odds and Urging Others To Recognize Type 1 Diabetes Symptoms.
- First 'Diaversary'.
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery during Pregnancy in Women with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Î˛-cell replacement sources for type 1 diabetes: a focus on pancreatic ductal cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enterovirus infection of human islets of Langerhans affects Î˛-cell function resulting in disintegrated islets, decreased glucose stimulated insulin secretion and loss of Golgi structure. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antibiotic-mediated gut microbiome perturbation accelerates development of type 1 diabetes in mice. See also Antibiotic Therapy During Infancy Increases Type 1 Diabetes Risk in Mice.
- The prevalence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) in adult patients with type 1 diabetes and relationship with metabolic control and the presence of chronic complications of the disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Association between type 1, type 2 cytokines, diabetic autoantibodies and 25-hydroxyvitamin D in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Mixed success for Victoza in type 1 diabetes trials.
- Empowered citizen 'health hackers' who are not waiting. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impact of sleep behavior on glycemic control in type 1 diabetes: the role of social jetlag.
- Treatment with insulin analogs, especially Glargine and Lispro, associates with better renal function and higher hemoglobin levels in Type 1 diabetic patients with impaired kidney function. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- 20 Years of Pediatric Benchmarking in Germany and Austria: Age-Dependent Analysis of Longitudinal Follow-Up in 63,967 Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Recovery of premorbid BMI trajectory without overshoot during the first year of treatment of children with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Low socioeconomic status is associated with adverse events in children and teens on insulin pumps under a universal access program: a population-based cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impact of deprivation, ethnicity, and insulin pump therapy on developmental trajectories of diabetes control in COB type 1 diabetes.
- Insulin Infusion Set Use: European Perspectives and Recommendations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Patient perspectives on peer support for adults with type 1 diabetes: a need for diabetes-specific social capital. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Interactive Effect of Diabetes Family Conflict and Depression on Insulin Bolusing Behaviors for Youth.
- International Comparison of Smoking and Metabolic Control in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes (PDF only). See also Adult smokers with type 1 diabetes have higher HbA1c levels, study reports.
- Long-term mucosal recovery and healing in celiac disease is the rule - not the exception.
- Frequency of HLA-DQB1*0201/02 and DQB1*0302 alleles and tissue transglutaminase antibody seropositivity in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Hypertransaminasemia in Newly Diagnosed Pediatric Patients With Celiac Disease.
- Lack of Evidence of Rotavirus-Dependent Molecular Mimicry as a Trigger of Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Keighley hospital awards pair who have lived with diabetes for more than 100 years between them.
- Student speaks to FDA about diabetes.
- Students lend a hand to medical research.
- Alex Ellis Never Let Type 1 Diabetes Slow Him Down.
- Children at risk from delays in referrals on diabetes.
- Insulin price spike leaves diabetes patients in crisis.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday August 24, 2016 19:38:15
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.