Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they use a continuous glucose monitoring system. This week's poll asks our readers about how often they think about diabetes during the day.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Little Red Sports Car by Eleanor Troutt, illustrated by J. Chris Price.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old (diabetic) daughter was mad at me the other day. She came walking into the kitchen with her backpack full with all her stuff. She really knows what buttons to push, telling me: "I'm running away, I'm taking a lot of candy, and I'm not taking any insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child asks you if "water proof" means "toilet proof" in reference to the pump. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our primary physician and I are concerned about my young daughter's elevated A1cs while the endocrinologist is not. What do you recommend? Should I seek a second opinion?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Texting with the school nurse
- New Insulin Delivery Recommendations (PDF) are a must-read for everyone using multiple daily injections. See also Forum for Injection Technique & Therapy Expert Recommendations (FITTER).
Conferences and Events
- Connected in Motion is holding a Southern California Slipstream from October 28 to 30 at Camp Emerald Bay on Catalina Island. A Slipstream Weekend is an active, social, and educational weekend for adults (21+) living with Type 1 diabetes
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference and Leadership Academy, to be held from Friday, May 26 through Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at SeaWorld in Orlando, Florida.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Human Cost of Unaffordable Insulin and Diabetes Supplies.
- Yes or No? What Would Your Answer Be Without Diabetes on Board?
- The Boyfriend/Girlfriend Guide to Caring for Someone with Type 1.
- What Type of Diabetes Do I Have?
- College and Diabetes: Resources and Tips.
- Flashing Back to Trippy Lows.
- I Can't Sleep.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Inspired by Isabella: When One Triplet Has Type 1 Diabetes.
- A Fatherâ€™s Mission: Ed Damianoâ€™s search for a better way to treat diabetes.
Products, Services and Books
- The College Diabetes Network has prepared an Off to College Booklet for Parent, which can be ordered online.
- Home Use of Day-and-Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Suboptimally Controlled Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: A 3-Week, Free-Living, Randomized Crossover Trial.
- A minimized human insulin-receptor-binding motif revealed in a Conus geographus venom insulin. See also Snails' speedy insulin: Bio-inspired insulin may act three times faster than current products and Snail venom holds key to better diabetes treatments.
- Increased skin autofluorescence of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes despite a well-controlled HbA1c: results from a cohort study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Skin Autofluorescence is Associated with Early-stage Atherosclerosis in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Incomplete immune response to coxsackie B viruses associates with early autoimmunity against insulin.
- Coincidence of PTPN22 c.1858CC and FCRL3 -169CC genotypes as a biomarker of preserved residual Î²-cell function in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Beta cell function and ongoing autoimmunity in long-standing, childhood onset type 1 diabetes.
- Development of Insulin Detemir/Insulin Aspart Cross-Reacting Antibodies Following Treatment with Insulin Detemir: 104-week Study in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Aged 2-16 Years.
- Clinical Benefit of Islet Xenotransplantation for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Comprehensive Performance Evaluation of Five Blood Glucose Systems in the Hypo-, Eu-, and Hyperglycemic Range.
- Switching from twice-daily glargine or detemir to once-daily degludec improves glucose control in type 1 diabetes. An observational study.
- Clinical and economic benefits of integrated pump/CGM technology therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes in Colombia.
- Can Families Eat Better Without Spending More? Improving Diet Quality Does Not Increase Diet Cost in a Randomized Clinical Trial among Youth with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents.
- Characterization of Exercise and Alcohol Self-Management Behaviors of Type 1 Diabetes Patients on Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Diabetes distress in males and females with type 1 diabetes in adolescence and emerging adulthood.
- Sexual function in young women with type 1 diabetes: the METRO study.
- Predictors of Comorbid Eating Disorders and Diabetes in People with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Vitamin D Deficiency and Glycemic Status in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pilot Study of a Web-Delivered Multicomponent Intervention for Rural Teens with Poorly Controlled Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Associations between recent severe hypoglycemia, retinal vessel diameters, and cognition in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- "My heart burns" - A qualitative study of perceptions and experiences of type 1 diabetes among children and youths in Tajikistan.
- Computer-aided texture analysis combined with experts' knowledge: Improving endoscopic celiac disease diagnosis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The clinical and phenotypical assessment of seronegative villous atrophy; a prospective UK centre experience evaluating 200 adult cases over a 15-year period (2000-2015).
- Younger White Women Are Behind The Surge Of Gluten-Free Diets.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 'Longstanding scandal': Huge insulin price hikes worse than EpiPen's, experts say.
- UK commercial pilots with diabetes and treated with insulin can fly with no safety concerns.
- Hudson child ambassador for Nick Jonas' diabetes organization.
- The diary of a girl with the little known eating disorder 'diabulimia'.
- Diabulimia: Diabetes and eating disorder service launching in UK.
- JDRF backs Sernovaâ€™s implant for T1D.
- Novel SGLT Inhibitor Adds Benefit to Insulin in Type 1 Diabetes (free Medscape membership required).
- What type 1 diabetes taught this doctor-to-be about medicine, family and life.
- How pro cyclists make it in a cash-starved sport.
- Miss America 2017: Miss New Hampshire wears glucose monitor on pageant stage.
- Alert dog helps girl cope with her diabetes.
- Pfizer leads Series A for upstart that aims to help â€˜cure Type 1 diabetesâ€™.
- Alphabet and Sanofi Set Up a Joint Venture in Diabetes Treatment.
- Insulet Enrolls First Patients in Clinical Trial for its OmnipodÂ® Artificial Pancreas System.
- 'I give my diabetic child SUGAR because she needs it': Irate mum SLAMS new Scottish TV ad. See also This Scottish diabetes advert made a lot of people very angry.
- Glooko and Diasend Merge to Deliver the Worldâ€™s Premier Diabetes Management Platform.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday September 14, 2016 16:54:54
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.