Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Donate to Children with Diabetes
Your donation will help Children with Diabetes provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes. Please give generously.
Of Continuing Interest
- The Teal Pumpkin Project helps make sure all children will come home on Halloween night with something they can enjoy, including kids with food allergies. This is a great alternative to candy for kids with type 1 diabetes or celiac.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers about where their child checks their blood glucose while at school. This week's poll asks our readers what they use most often to treat hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your non-D child refers to all numbers as carbs - "I'm 3 carbs old!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
After a bout with strep a few weeks ago, my teen daughter has been having recurrent lows, despite decreasing her insulin. Various tests have been normal. What else could be causing the lows?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pump sites on a toddler
Support and Advocacy
- Guest Post: Victor Walsh on Competitive Bidding.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Join Logan's Elbow Bump Challenge to raise money to support our Friends for Life Orlando 2017 conference. (See also the instructions.) One suggestion is to hold a Hat Day at School on November 14th. Learn more -- including the origin of the elbow bump -- at the Elbow Bump Challenge blog.
- The Blue Streak Challenge brings attention to Diabetes Awareness Month. See also the Blue Streak Facebook page.
- Join the Big Blue Test and help raise funds for two wonderful non-profits.
Diabetes in School
- The new NDEP Helping the Student with Diabetes Succeed: A Guide for School Personnel is available. This is a must-have resource for families and schools.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Bigfoot Biomedical has updated their web site with more about their innovative company and closed-loop insulin delivery system.
Products, Services and Books
- Roche Gets Creative with New Accu-Chek Guide Meter and Strips.
- Next Generation Timesulin: Intelligent Insulin Delivery.
- How a company that makes an iPhone-powered glucose monitor made a smart pivot before Apple killed the headphone jack.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Pushback Against the Artificial Pancreas.
- Following the Money Trail on Insulin Prices.
- Back to the Future: Dexcom G4 Share and Apple Watch 2.
- Talking Diabetes with Country Music Star Eric Paslay.
- When A Low Blood Sugar Takes Over.
- True or False? Demystifying Breastfeeding for Women with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Quantum Leap in Diabetes Treatment is about the work of Doug Melton, PhD, of the Harvard Stem Cell Institute.
- Heart rate informed artificial pancreas system enhances glycemic control during exercise in adolescents with T1D.
- A description of clinician reported diagnosis of type 2 diabetes and other non-type 1 diabetes included in a large international multicentered pediatric diabetes registry (SWEET).
- Stimulated urine C-peptide creatinine ratio vs serum C-peptide level for monitoring of ╬▓-cell function in the first year after diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes.
- Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes: Reducing Admission Rates for Diabetes Ketoacidosis.
- A survey of youth with new onset type 1 diabetes: Opportunities to reduce diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Pathways to reduce diabetic ketoacidosis with new onset type 1 diabetes: Evidence from a regional pediatric diabetes center: Auckland, New Zealand, 2010 to 2014.
- A randomized crossover study of the efficacy and safety of switching from insulin glargine to insulin degludec in children with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Estimating the impact of better management of glycaemic control in adults with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes on the number of clinical complications and the associated financial benefit. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Asthma related medication use and exacerbations in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Glycaemic control and risk of incident urinary incontinence in women with Type 1 diabetes: results from the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial and Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) study.
- The Development of a Clinically Relevant Sleep Modification Protocol for Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Young people with Type 1 diabetes of non-white ethnicity and lower socio-economic status have poorer glycaemic control in England and Wales.
- Prevalence of depression in Type 1 diabetes and the problem of over-diagnosis.
- Suicidal ideation reported by adults with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes: results from Diabetes MILES-Australia.
- The efficacy and safety of DPP4 inhibitors in patients with type 1 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
- Operationalizing and Examining Family Planning Vigilance in Adult Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Risk of macrosomia remains glucose-dependent in a cohort of women with pregestational type 1 diabetes and good glycemic control.
- Postpartum development of type 1 diabetes in Asian Indian women with gestational diabetes. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Treatable Diabetic Retinopathy Is Extremely Rare Among Pediatric T1D Exchange Clinic Registry Participants. See also Diabetic retinopathy screening for young people not needed, say US researchers.
- Socioeconomic Impacts of Gluten-Free Diet among Saudi Children with Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Interaction Between Celiac Disease and Intestinal Microbiota.
- Exposure assessment to fumonisins B1, B2 and B3 through consumption of gluten-free foodstuffs intended for people affected by celiac disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The insulin market is heading for a shakeup. But patients may not benefit.
- Eric Paslay Welcomes Pediatric Diabetes Patients Backstage at His Boston Concert.
- For Sounders forward Jordan Morris, diabetes has shaped him into the player he is today.
- Parents express Type 1 diabetes concerns.
- Local Young Woman Races to Raise Funds for Type 1 Diabetes.
- Inspirational youngster helps raise more than ┬ú3,000 for diabetes charity.
- Type 1 Diabetes Community Keeps Fighting for a Major Increase in Cure Research.
- Diabetes Research Institute's Alberto Pugliese, M.D. was Awarded the J. Enloe and Eugenia J. Dodson Chair in Diabetes Research.
- Bigfoot Biomedical Raises $35.5 Million in Series A Financing.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday October 19, 2016 17:48:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.