Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
New This Week
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Last week's poll asked readers about when during the day they are most concerned with hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks our readers about how much time they spend each day on diabetes care.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Help With The Hard Stuff by Lauren W. Tolle, PhD, and William T. O'Donohue, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day my mom texted me this" "2 100's today". She watches my son Cole while I attend college full time. I texted back, "good, I changed his basal the other day". She texted back, "No, I was talking about his school work -- two 100% on his school work." We both laughed really hard -- this would only happen if you had a child with diabetes.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are watching a football game and report that your team is behind by 4 units and nobody thinks a thing of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since getting a Depo Provera shot for her PCOS, my daughter's blood sugars have remained between 300 and 600 mg/dl [16.7 and 33.3 mmol/L]. Is this from the shot? How long will this last?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Support and Advocacy
- Applications for JDRF 2017 Childrenâ€™s Congress are now online. This is a great way to get involved with national advocacy efforts. Apply by December 1, 2016.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Join Logan's Elbow Bump Challenge to raise money to support our Friends for Life Orlando 2017 conference. (See also the instructions.) One suggestion is to hold a Hat Day at School on November 14th. Learn more -- including the origin of the elbow bump -- at the Elbow Bump Challenge blog and The Elbow Bump Challenge.
- The Blue Streak Challenge brings attention to Diabetes Awareness Month. See also the Blue Streak Facebook page.
- Join the Big Blue Test and help raise funds for two wonderful non-profits.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- What features are included in the latest update to the Dexcom G5 Mobile App?
- The Helmsley Charitable Trust seeks a Program Officer to directly support the T1D Program Director within an evolving grant portfolio addressing next generation questions health care models that will improve outcomes for people with T1D.
Diabetes in Social Media
- What's Happening for Diabetes Awareness Month and World Diabetes Day 2016.
- How Can I Pay for Diabetes Medications and Care?
- This Month IS NOT for the Diabetes Community ... itâ€™s for Those Who Know Nothing!
- FDA Publishes Final Recommendations on Blood Glucose Meter Accuracy.
- Feeling Guilt When Diabetes Gets in the Way Of Me Being a Mom.
- Mandy Marquardt â€“ An Elite Cyclist with Type 1 Diabetes.
- T1D Hero To Make History in Talledega.
- Countdown to Medicare with Type 1 Diabetes: 5 Months / Anxiety.
- Diabetes Doesnâ€™t Discriminate, Neither Should You.
- Dual-Hormone ILet Poised to Begin FDA Testing in 2017.
- Risk of future microvascular and macrovascular disease in people with Type 1 diabetes of very long duration: a national study with 10-year follow-up.
- Cardiovascular Autonomic Neuropathy and Cardiovascular Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Study.
- Albuminuria Changes and Cardiovascular and Renal Outcomes in Type 1 Diabetes: The DCCT/EDIC Study.
- Immunogenicity of human embryonic stem cell-derived beta cells.
- Analysis of self-antigen specificity of islet-infiltrating T cells from human donors with type 1 diabetes. See also UMMS researchers isolate immune cells from the islets of donors with type 1 diabetes.
- Insulitis in human diabetes: a histological evaluation of donor pancreases.
- Clinical Benefit of Islet Xenotransplantation for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Antibiotic-mediated gut microbiome perturbation accelerates development of type 1 diabetes in mice.
- Continuous glucose monitoring for patients with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia (IN CONTROL): a randomised, open-label, crossover trial.
- Can Families Eat Better Without Spending More? Improving Diet Quality Does Not Increase Diet Cost in a Randomized Clinical Trial among Youth with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents.
- Evaluating health-related quality of life in type 1 diabetes: a systematic literature review of utilities for adults with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Trajectories of depression in adults with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes: results from the German Multicenter Diabetes Cohort Study.
- Quality of Life of College Students Living With Type 1 Diabetes: A Qualitative View.
- The Use of Mobile Applications Among Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Results from Diabetes MILES Youth-Australia.
- Type 1 diabetes mellitus and risk of incident epilepsy: a population-based, open-cohort study.
- Psychosocial Illness in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Prevalence, Pattern and Risk Factors.
- Success Rates in a Diabetes Specialist Nurse-Led Education Programme: Re-setting the Glucostat.
- Managing the pediatric patient with celiac disease: a multidisciplinary approach. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Tissue Transglutaminase Levels Are Not Sufficient to Diagnose Celiac Disease in North American Practices Without Intestinal Biopsies.
- What is Gluten?
- Celiac Diagnosis Inspires Dryad Resident to Make a Better Baking Mix.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Why treating diabetes keeps getting more expensive. See also Why hoarding insulin has become a way of life for this Type 1 diabetes patient.
- Bernie Sanders is going after insulin makers over price hikes.
- Camilla praises Theresa May for speaking out about her diabetes.
- Living with Type 1 Diabetes in Haddam.
- Eric Churchâ€™s Foundation Donates $1 Million to Combat Diabetes.
- Diabetes can't slow down 9-year-old top-ranked pitcher's blazing fastball.
- Six years into my battle: Reflections on life with Type 1 diabetes.
- 'Diabulimia': Type 1 diabetics restricting insulin to lose weight need to be taken seriously, experts say.
- 'Diabetic children need more help in school' say team from Oxford's John Radcliffe Hospital.
- A wet, yet worthy, walk to battle Type 1 diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday November 02, 2016 21:37:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.