Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
New This Week
- Before It's Too Late is a powerful reminder of the importance of knowing the signs of type 1 diabetes and educating others.
- Last week's poll asked readers about who administers insulin to their child in child care setting. This week's poll asks our readers about what happens if their child needs a new infusion set while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 4-year-old son Willy, who was diagnosed when he was two, has been judging how low or high his blood sugar is feeling. One day I asked him if he was feeling like his blood sugar was low or high. He held his hand at his shoulder level and said, "I think it's about here."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My toddler, whose father has diabetes, has intermittent high blood sugars, but blood work for diabetes was negative. Should I continue to monitor him?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Support and Advocacy
- Applications for JDRF 2017 Childrenâ€™s Congress are now online. This is a great way to get involved with national advocacy efforts. Apply by December 1, 2016.
- Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD) CGM Medicare Appeals Assistance Program assists in the appeals process of low-income Medicare beneficiaries who have been denied coverage for a continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) system by Medicare.
- Send Airplanes and Insulin and Save Thousands of Lives.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Support Friends for Life Orlando by shopping for your holiday gifts at Schwans.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Dr Frederick Banting, Thank You For Saving My Life.
- NEWSFLASH: Google Creates Doodle for World Diabetes Day!
- A Dozen Type 1 Diabetes Influencers to Know.
- Our DKA Campaign.
- I knew she was my daughter.
- Diagnosis or Death: The Missed Diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Leaving My Diabetes Care in Someone Elseâ€™s Hands.
- Helping Doctors Utilize Nightscout -- from Romania.
- Morgan Angerbauer Needlessly Died from DKA in Jail.
- The Seven-Day 'Fakebetes' Diabetes Experience.
- A Novel Insulin/Glucose Model after a Mixed-Meal Test in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes on Insulin Pump Therapy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Sensor Life and Overnight Closed Loop: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Associations between long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids and cardiovascular lipid risk factors in youth with type 1 diabetes: SEARCH Nutrition Ancillary Study.
- Islet cell transplantation improves nerve conduction velocity in type 1 diabetes compared with intensive medical therapy over six years.
- Optimizing Porcine Islet Isolation to Markedly Reduce Enzyme Consumption Without Sacrificing Islet Yield or Function. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glycemia, Treatment Satisfaction, Cognition, and Sleep Quality in Adults and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes When Using a Closed-Loop System Overnight Versus Sensor-Augmented Pump with Low-Glucose Suspend Function: A Randomized Crossover Study.
- Sustained glycaemic control and less nocturnal hypoglycaemia with insulin glargine 300U/mL compared with glargine 100U/mL in Japanese adults with type 1 diabetes (EDITION JP 1 randomised 12-month trial including 6-month extension).
- Dental Health Status and Hygiene in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Depression: a common and burdensome complication of diabetes that warrants the continued attention of clinicians, researchers and healthcare policy makers.
- Factors that Increase Risk of Celiac Disease Autoimmunity Following a Gastrointestinal Infection in Early Life.
- Novel genetic risk variants for pediatric celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Prevalence and Characterization of Self-Reported Gluten Sensitivity in The Netherlands. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Legal and Legislative
- Protest against Prince William Co. Schools handling of students with diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Why does Insulin keep getting more expensive?
- Who was Sir Frederick Banting and how did he discover that insulin could treat diabetes?
- When social stigma is nearly as damaging as diabetes.
- "You can still live your dream": IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball discusses his life with diabetes.
- Siblings both diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Why living with diabetes has meant â€˜everythingâ€™ to Matthew Jordan.
- Combating misconceptions and raising awareness about living with Type 1 diabetes.
- Camp Helps, Bonds Families Dealing with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Managing type 1 diabetes is 'essentially my day job'.
- Living With Type 1 Diabetes Is A Luxury - And It Shouldnâ€™t Be.
- Health Buzz: Derek Theler Talks Type 1 Diabetes.
- Teen in trouble over diabetes awareness shirt.
- Diabetes is no longer a rich-world disease.
- UF Diabetes: The next generation.
- With Health Canada approval, Dexcom G5Â® Mobile CGM System is the First and Only Medical Device in North America for Making Daily Diabetes Decisions Without Painful Fingersticks.
- NIH-funded International Diabetes Closed Loop (IDCL) Trial to Combine Technologies from Tandem Diabetes Care, Dexcom and TypeZero.
- BD Collaborates with JDRF to Focus on Extended Wear Innovations for Insulin Infusion Delivery.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday November 16, 2016 17:40:49
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.