Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
- Before It's Too Late is a powerful reminder of the importance of knowing the signs of type 1 diabetes and educating others.
New This Week
- Concerned about the price of insulin? Be sure to read Novo Nordisk Sheds New Light on PBM Rebates, the Gross-to-Net Bubble, and Warped Channel Incentives and Follow the Dollar: Measuring Who Profits From a Brand-Name Prescription.
- Taxonomy of Burden by e-Patient Dave summarizes Taxonomy of the burden of treatment: a multi-country web-based qualitative study of patients with chronic conditions (PDF), a fascinating look at the breadth and depth of burden experienced by people living with chronic health conditions.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they are concerned about paying for diabetes care supplies. This week's poll asks our readers if they commemorate their date of diagnosis.
- The Featured Book of the Week is A First Book for Understanding Diabetes (companion to "Understanding Diabetes") by H. Peter Chase, MD and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you're proud when your 3 year old can 'aim' to hit the ketone test strip. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Just diagnosed, my adult son takes insulin for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but what should he do for evening/dinner insulin if he has a late breakfast and lunch, skips dinner?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
11 yo girl crazy blood sugars puberty coming?
Conferences and Events
- Bike Beyond is a 10-week cross country bike ride taken on by a team of adults all living with Type 1 diabetes! The ride will take place from June 2nd â€“ August 12th, 2017.
Support and Advocacy
- Ask the Senate to Act on the House-passed Bill to Coordinate Diabetes Care.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Support Friends for Life Orlando by shopping for your holiday gifts at Schwans.
- Your Child can Receive a Personal Letter from Santa -- 6th Annual Tradition Continues! The deadline to participate is December 9, 2016.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Think of the children.
- The Unacceptable Reality: Type 1 Diabetes in Uganda. To learn how you can help children with type 1 diabetes in under resourced countries, please visit Life for a Child USA and make a contribution. See also Life for a Child Gift Cards.
- Survey Data on T1D Misdiagnosed (Partial Data) .... Is Now In! Read and Share.
- Getting to Know JDRF CEO Derek Rapp.
- How the Diabetes Community Positively Impacted My Life.
- The U.S. Canâ€™t Afford Not to Have a Cure for Diabetes.
- T1D Subway Nightmare.
- Assessing the population impact of low rates of vitamin D supplementation on type 1 diabetes using a new statistical method. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Artemisinins Target GABAA Receptor Signaling and Impair Î± Cell Identity. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Breakthrough in diabetes research: Pancreatic cells produce insulin instead of glucagon upon artemisinin treatment and Anti-malaria drugs could be linked to type 1 diabetes treatment.
- Glucose-stimulated expression of Txnip is mediated by carbohydrate response element-binding protein, p300, and histone H4 acetylation in pancreatic beta cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also CRISPR editing in pancreatic cells reduced cell death, increased insulin secretion.
- Increased DNA methylation variability in type 1 diabetes across three immune effector cell types. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Targeted next-generation sequencing reveals MODY in up to 6.5% of antibody-negative diabetes cases listed in the Norwegian Childhood Diabetes Registry.
- Effect of carbohydrate counting using bolus calculators on glycemic control in type 1 diabetes patients during continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Correlation between parameters of self-monitoring of blood glucose and the perception of health-related quality of life in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Incidence and Risk Factors for Developing Diabetic Retinopathy among Youths with Type 1 or Type 2 Diabetes throughout the United States.
- Incidence of complications in young-onset diabetes: Comparing type 2 with type 1 (the young diab study).
- Disturbed eating behavior in Iranian adolescent and young females with type-1 diabetes compared to non diabetic peers: A cross-sectional study. Free full text available in HTML format.
- Finding the right route for insulin delivery - an overview of implantable pump therapy.
- Hypoglycemia and Cardiac Arrhythmia; Mechanisms, Evidence Base and Current Recommendations.
- Budget Impact of Long-Acting Insulin Analogues: The Case in Brazil. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Association between small fiber neuropathy and higher skin accumulation of advanced glycation end products in patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- PREP-T1 (Preteen Re-Education With Parents-Type 1 Diabetes) Feasibility Intervention Results.
- What's Tramadol Got to Do with It? A Case Report of Rebound Hypoglycemia, a Reappraisal and Review of Potential Mechanisms.
- Anti-tissue Transglutaminase Normalization Post Diagnosis in Children With Celiac Disease.
Legal and Legislative
- On Pharma and Employers in the Insulin Affordability Crisis.
- Novo Nordisk offers "Our Position on Pricing and Affordability".
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- When it's not just the flu: Kids with Type 1 diabetes often misdiagnosed due to the rapid onset of common symptoms.
- Richard Goyder and Ian Narev's pursuit of a type 1 diabetes cure.
- Type 1 Inspiration: A Diabetes Diagnosis Didn't Stop This Girl.
- Type A Personality, Type 1 Diabetes â€” A Studentâ€™s Perspective.
- Whatâ€™s Your Type: Diabetes Awareness.
- Global aid programme expands to provide poor children with free type 1 diabetes care.
- One in five Australians with type 1 diabetes is hypo-unaware, study finds.
- Public, professional education needed about type 1 diabetes symptoms.
- ONE DROP Announces FDA Clearance and ONE DROP | Premium Launch in US, UK, and EU.
- Genteel: â€śFor Those with Diabetes, Painful Blood Sugar Checks Are Now a Thing of the Pastâ€ť.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday December 07, 2016 14:26:12
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.