Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- Prevent T1D is a place for families who are working to prevent Type 1 Diabetes. Many of us are parents who already have a child with T1D, and are looking for ways to delay or stop a second childâ€™s diagnosis.
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
- Before It's Too Late is a powerful reminder of the importance of knowing the signs of type 1 diabetes and educating others.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they commemorate their date of diagnosis. This week's poll asks our readers if their diabetes care team charges them to fill our forms for school or licenses.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an in-ground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, instead of whispering "sweet nothings" to each other in the middle of the night, you and your spouse are talking about blood sugar numbers. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
For the past few years, my teen son has had extreme muscle pain and tightness the day after exercise. Is this a side effect of Lantus or something else diabetes-related? What do you recommend?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
I have slept through the night every night since November 11
Conferences and Events
- Bike Beyond is a 10-week cross country bike ride taken on by a team of adults all living with Type 1 diabetes! The ride will take place from June 2nd â€“ August 12th, 2017.
Support and Advocacy
- Ask the Senate to Act on the House-passed Bill to Coordinate Diabetes Care.
Fundraising and Awareness
Diabetes in Social Media
- A Misdiagnosis Left my 2-year-old in DKA, Fighting for his Life.
- Digging Into Diabetes Stigma.
- My First Encounter with Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- Tackling Diabetes: A Post-Election Policy Discussion.
- 6 New Diabetes Products to Look for in 2017.
- A Test Strip Self Portrait.
- Sanofiâ€™s 12 year support for face-to-face peer-mentoring ends.
- Diabetes Isnâ€™t a Punchline to Your Joke.
- Î˛-cellâ€“mimetic designer cells provide closed-loop glycemic control.
- Coxsackie-adenovirus receptor expression is enhanced in pancreas from patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Metformin in adults with type 1 diabetes: design and methods of REducing with MetfOrmin Vascular Adverse Lesions (REMOVAL): an international multicentre trial.
- Lower Basal Insulin Dose is Associated with Better Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Changes in cardiac repolarisation during spontaneous nocturnal hypoglycaemia in subjects with type 1 diabetes: a preliminary report.
- Glucose Exposure and Variability with Empagliflozin as Adjunct to Insulin in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: Continuous Glucose Monitoring Data from a 4-Week, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Trial (EASE-1).
- Metabolic ketoacidosis with normal blood glucose: A rare complication of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The economic impact of insulin-related hypoglycemia in Denmark: an analysis using the Local Impact of Hypoglycemia Tool.
- Diabetes Distress Among Persons With Type 1 Diabetes: Associations With Disordered Eating, Depression, and Other Psychological Health Concerns.
- Quality of care in rural youth with type 1 diabetes: a cross-sectional pilot assessment. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Association Between Blood Pressure and Adverse Renal Events in Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Nocturnal antihypertensive treatment in patients with type 1 diabetes with autonomic neuropathy and non-dipping: a randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind cross-over trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Glycaemic control and excess risk of ischaemic and haemorrhagic stroke in patients with type 1 diabetes: a cohort study of 33 453 patients.
- Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia associated with insulin antibodies caused by exogenous insulin analog.
- Food exchange estimation by children with type 1 diabetes at summer camp.
- Epidemiology of Diabetic Kidney Disease in Adult Patients with Type 1 Diabetes in Italy: the AMD Annals initiative.
- Effects of liraglutide on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- New insights into wheat toxicity: Breeding did not seem to contribute to a prevalence of potential celiac diseaseâ€™s immunostimulatory epitopes. See also New wheat crops as an alternative to a gluten-free diet.
- Celiac patients detected during type 1 diabetes surveillance had similar issues to those diagnosed on a clinical basis.
- Anxiety and depression in caregivers of individuals with celiac disease - A population-based study.
- Has wheat gluten changed over time? Quality project seeks to find out.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Among Low-Income Respondents With Diabetes, High-Deductible Versus No-Deductible Insurance Sharply Reduces Medical Service Use.
- Some people spend as much on insulin as their mortgage â€” and drugmakers are taking note.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Ed Damiano: WebMD's 2016 Health Hero.
- The Interesting Way Alan Thicke Helped With Juvenile Diabetes, Because His Legacy Lives On.
- Scottish diabetes equipment funding increase.
- Lower-Cost Canadian Health Care as Good as U.S.â€™s for Low-Income Kids with Diabetes.
- Challenges, misconceptions abound for kids with T1 diabetes.
- Why diabetes patients canâ€™t buy generic insulin.
- 'It Was a Weird and Dark Place': How Women with Diabulimia Dice with Death.
- Lilly Announces Program to Provide Insulin at Discounted Prices.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday December 14, 2016 17:47:10
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.