Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
- MiniMedÂ® Pro-setÂ® Infusion Set Urgent Field Safety Notification addresses "... a higher than expected number of reported complaints related to kinked cannulas and elevated blood glucose levels among those using the MiniMed Pro-set infusion set."
- Last week's poll asked readers if they think type 1 diabetes is a disability. This week's poll asks our readers how often they worry about nighttime hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Typecast: Amazing People Overcoming the Chronic Disease of Type 1 Diabetes by Andrew Deutscher.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My six year old son was diagnosed with type 1 on April 1 (of all days!). He is an avid Pokemon fan. We were teaching him how to read the nutrition labels and find out how many carbs are in various foods. One day he picked up a can of light lemonade and said "Mom, this does 2 points damage, can I drink this?" So now we track our carbs by how many "hit points" or how much "damage" a food will do.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child learns to count backwards before learning to count forwards--they learn this from watching their meter countdown. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How important is pre-bolusing before meals?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Repeal of ACA and T1D (pre existing conditions)
- Best Practices for Injecting Insulin and Inserting Infusions.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- A student in the Toronto School District is running a survey about Type 1 Diabetes and Antibiotics.
- Diabetes Usability Study: Patients and Caregivers needed.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Blink Health: Saving on Lilly Insulin. See also Blink Health Announces Lilly Insulin Patient Access Program.
- The Winter 2016/2017 edition of Diabetes Health Professional is online and includes a comprehensive diabetes product reference guide.
- NEWSFLASH: Roche Stops Selling Accu-Chek Insulin Pumps in U.S
Diabetes in Social Media
- NEWSFLASH: Medicare Can Cover Some CGMs Now!
- Diabetes Advocacy Orgs: 2016 Milestones & 2017 Goals! (Part 1 of 2).
- Nightscout Foundation: Looking Back on 2016 and Ahead at 2017.
- The "Good" in Good Glucos.
- Are Implantable CGMs the Wave of the Future?
- Smart Insulin: Amazing ... But Still At Least a Decade Away.
- Predictive Hyperglycemia and Hypoglycemia Minimization: In-Home Evaluation of Safety, Feasibility, and Efficacy in Overnight Glucose Control in Type 1 Diabetes.
- First Infant Formula Type and Risk of Islet Autoimmunity in The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) Study.
- Diet Quality during Infancy and Early Childhood in Children with and without Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: A DEDIPAC Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Does vitamin D play a role in autoimmune endocrine disorders? A proof of concept.
- Poor Adherence to Ketone Testing in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Behavioral Programs To Help Manage Type 1 Diabetes.
- Mother, Father, and Adolescent Self-Control and Adherence in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Metabolic Control and Academic Achievement Over Time Among Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The relationships among fear of hypoglycaemia, diabetes-related quality of life and psychological well-being in Norwegian adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- Urinary C peptide creatinine ratio in pregnant women with normal glucose tolerance and type 1 diabetes: evidence for insulin secretion. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Health-related quality of life (HRQOL) and its associated factors in children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus (T1DM). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Early Infant Feeding Practices May Influence the Onset of Symptomatic Celiac Disease. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Salivary Gluten Degradation and Oral Microbial Profiles in Health and Celiac Disease.
- Celiac Disease and Type 1 Diabetes: Is There a Connection?
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- JDRF Encouraged by Medicare Decision to Take First Step Toward Coverage of Continuous Glucose Monitors for People with Type 1 Diabetes. The full CMS ruling is available as a PDF.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Campaigners urge research into type 1 diabetes to be top of agenda in Scotland.
- City of Hope sets new goal for type 1 diabetes cure. See also The Wanek Family Project to Cure Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday January 18, 2017 20:35:56
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.