Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they are concerned about the future cost of or access to insulin and diabetes care products. This week's poll asks our readers if they are concerned about the accuracy of their blood glucose meter.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
On top of the cookies in the cookie jar is a paper with 6c. (6 Carbohydrates) each written on it. Upon returning from getting a cookie, my non-diabetic nephew says, "I don't have 6 cents to pay for each one of these cookies." My 5 year old diabetic son said, "It's carbs, not cents!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you've ever accidentally used Cake Mate as lip gloss (and it was green!). See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Should we be dosing for the antibiotic our daughter is taking for a sinus infection? Her blood sugar has been elevated despite adjusting her insulin to carbohydrate ratio.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Leg waxing question
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
- MasterLab Leadership Institute will be an intensive, exciting, weekend conference featuring expert mentorship, leadership development, and social entrepreneurship workshops to support leaders implementing positive changes for the greater diabetes community, to be held in the Bay Area, in northern California, from Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 2nd.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- Diabetes Usability Study: Patients and Caregivers needed.
Products, Services and Books
- The AACE Patient Assistance Drug Program Directory provides contact information for companies that offer help for patients who would otherwise struggle to pay for their medications.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Diabetes Community Speaks Out About PBMs.
- Plan Your Conversation.
- Worm infestations and development of autoimmunity in children - The ABIS study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Duodenal mucosa of patients with type 1 diabetes shows distinctive inflammatory profile and microbiota.
- Gut microbial metabolites limit the frequency of autoimmune T cells and protect against type 1 diabetes.
- Monogenic Diabetes accounts for 6.3% of cases referred to 15 Italian pediatric diabetes Centers during 2007-2012.
- Biomarker found that could help predict the onset of Type 1 diabetes.
- Prevention of Hypoglycemia With Predictive Low Glucose Insulin Suspension in Children With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Expectations and Attitudes of Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes After Using a Hybrid Closed Loop System.
- Comparative study on treatment satisfaction and health perception in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus on multiple daily injection of insulin, insulin pump and sensor-augmented pump therapy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Short-term Effects of Low Carbohydrate Diet on Glycaemic Parameters and Cardiovascular Risk Markers in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes - A Randomised Open-label Cross-over Trial.
- An additional bolus of rapid-acting insulin to normalise postprandial cardiovascular risk factors following a high-carbohydrate high-fat meal in patients with type 1 diabetes: A randomised controlled trial.
- Ophthalmic Screening Patterns Among Youths With Diabetes Enrolled in a Large US Managed Care Network.
- Parental evaluation of a telemonitoring service for children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Adherence to pediatric diabetic ketoacidosis guidelines by community emergency departments' providers.
- Greater postprandial glucose excursions and inadequate nutrient intake in youth with type 1 diabetes and celiac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Screening for Celiac Disease: US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation Statement.
- The US Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation on Screening for Asymptomatic Celiac Disease: A Dearth of Evidence.
- No Need To Get Screened For Celiac Unless You Have Symptoms, Panel Says.
- The effects of modified versus unmodified wheat gluten administration in patients with celiac disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Mitigating out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs.
- Wyden Introduces Bill to Increase Transparency of PBMs.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Woman goes into diabetic shock, turns to Facebook friends for help.
- Athlete with Type 1 diabetes tells of marathon motivation.
- Boy walks 4,000 miles to help cure diabetes.
- Teddy Bear Hospital helps kids with type 1 diabetes.
- A hockey camp for kids suffering from diabetes.
- â€˜Insulin Superheroesâ€™ program reduces HbA1c in children.
- Medicare Announces Criteria Covering Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM for All People with Diabetes on Intensive Insulin Therapy.
- DCU Researchers make significant diabetes finding with 3U Diabetes Consortium.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday March 29, 2017 17:25:51
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.