Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers what they think is the hardest part of diabetes. This week's poll asks our readers how they chose the glucose meter they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
While putting on my makeup, my 8-year-old diabetic daughter was looking at a lipstick case with several different colors in it. She said, "Hey, this looks like my ketone strip -- this shade is high and this one is trace."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you ask your child what they had for lunch and they reply 45 carbs! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed nine years ago, my daughter seems to be suffering from diabetes burnout, does not want to discuss it, seems sad at times. How can I help her?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Daughter going on weeklong student exchange - would like input on MDI
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Survey for a New Program for Caregivers of People with Diabetes
If you have a loved one with diabetes, you have felt this before: āIs their blood glucose in the safe zone? Have they been checking their glucose enough to be safe?ā What if you didnāt have to worry, because someone is helping you keep a watchful eye, and alerts you if your loved one is at risk? Please answer this 5 minute survey to provide feedback on a new program for people who care for a loved one with diabetes and for a chance to win a $100 Amazon gift card.
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- Children and young adults (ages 6ā21) newly-diagnosed with type 1 are needed for a study looking to preserve beta cell function.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Diabetes Doing Things offers podcasts by Rob Howe, an adult with type 1 living in Dallas, Texas.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Victor Montori, M.D. Mayo Clinic and living a patientās life.
- Insulin Availability for Those Who Need It Most (Remembering Shane Patrick Boyle).
- Faster-Acting Insulin Aspart (Fiasp) Resubmitted to the FDA.
- Never Be Ashamed For Being Different.
- Teaching My Little Sister Everything I Know.
- Gut microbial metabolites limit the frequency of autoimmune T cells and protect against type 1 diabetes. See also āMedicinal foodā diet counters onset of type 1 diabetes.
- Increased inflammation is associated with islet autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes in the Diabetes Autoimmunity Study in the Young (DAISY). Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid supplementation on C-peptide preservation in pregnant women with type-1 diabetes: randomized placebo controlled clinical trial.
- Virgin Beta Cells Persist throughout Life at a Neogenic Niche within Pancreatic Islets. See also New source of insulin-producing cells discovered for diabetics, A Brand New Type of Insulin-Producing Cell Has Been Discovered Hiding in the Pancreas, and New type of insulin-producing cell discovered.
- Single Retinal Layer Evaluation in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes with No or Early Signs of Diabetic Retinopathy: The First Hint of Neurovascular Crosstalk Damage between Neurons and Capillaries?
- The Impact of Continuous Glucose Monitoring on Markers of Quality of Life in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: Further Findings From the DIAMOND Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Real-Time Continuous Glucose Monitoring Facilitates Feelings of Safety in Older Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Qualitative Study.
- ENDO: Liraglutide May Prevent Lipolysis, Ketogenesis in T1D.
- Carbohydrate Counting during Pregnancy in Women with Type 1 Diabetes: Are There Predictable Changes That We Should Know?
- Alcohol and cigarette use among adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
- Very low-dose fluvastatin-valsartan combination decreases parameters of inflammation and oxidative stress in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Thyroid and Islet Autoantibodies Predict Autoimmune Thyroid Disease at Type 1 Diabetes Diagnosis.
- Metabolic effects of insulin in a human model of ketoacidosis combining exposure to lipopolysaccharide and insulin deficiency: a randomised, controlled, crossover study in individuals with type 1 diabetes.
- Reovirus infection triggers inflammatory responses to dietary antigens and development of celiac disease. See also A Seemingly Harmless Virus Might Be Triggering Celiac Disease, Hereās how an otherwise humdrum virus sparks celiac disease, and Virus linked to celiac disease, new study finds.
- The New Niche: Gluten-Free Dining Halls.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- The High Price of Insulin Is Literally Killing People.
- NHS risking people's health by rationing test strips, Diabetes UK says.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Camp Ho Mita Koda, oldest in nation, closed as Diabetes Partnership of Cleveland dissolves.
- Minecraft morphed into game to help kids and parents deal with onset of diabetes.
- Mountain Ridge pitcher Tommy Lowe battles elbow, diabetes on way back to the mound.
- Isle of Wight diabetes patient honoured with prestigious medal.
- McAllen Teen Opens Up About Living with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Horse racing license granted to teenager with type 1 diabetes.
- With same training, insulin pumps no better than injections.
- Tom Gaglardi announces $3 million gift to JDRF Canada.
- Life with Type 1 Diabetes Made a Little Easier through Lilly Diabetes Scholarship Donations for Camps, College and Conferences.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Launches New t:connect Diabetes Management Application Portal for Healthcare Providers.
- Government of Canada and JDRF join forces to defeat diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday April 12, 2017 15:53:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.