Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- Roche issues urgent notice about potential for incorrect bolus advisor amount in its Accu-ChekÂ® Connect diabetes management app.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how they chose the glucose meter they use most often. This week's poll asks our readers who drive how often they check they blood sugar before they drive.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Ultimate Guide to Accurate Carb Counting by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently painted my daughter's room. We gave her the choice of color. I picked out a pretty shade of pink and she said "No way!" I asked, "Why not? You want a pink room." She said, "I don't want any color that is on a ketone strip!" Sure enough, that was the color of moderate ketones!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 3-year-old son with diabetes asks every person who drinks juice, "Are you low?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
In 2009, my daughter, who has two siblings with type 1, tested negative for antibodies, but recently had a random high blood sugar and has tested positive for GAD-65. Will she definitely develop diabetes?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pump supplies: what is the average amount?
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- Children and young adults (ages 6â€“21) newly-diagnosed with type 1 are needed for a study looking to preserve beta cell function.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- Diabetes Advocacy on the Go with the DPAC App.
- Smartphone Apps for Diabetes Management.
General Diabetes Information
- Diabetes Patients Often Fight a Breakfast Battle.
Diabetes in Social Media
- George Huntley: Songwriter, Half-Marathoner, Box-Making Expert, Diabetes Advocate.
- UVAâ€™s â€śArtificial Pancreasâ€ť Tested in Young Children.
- Keep Your Insulin at a Safe Temperature with MedAngel.
- Dr. Faustmanâ€™s Type 1 Reversal Trial Seeks More Participants.
- Incidence Trends of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes among Youths, 2002â€“2012.
- Ethnic differences in association of high body mass index with early onset of Type 1 diabetes â€“ Arab ethnicity as case study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Mortality and Cardiovascular Disease in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Rotavirus Vaccination and the Risk of Celiac Disease or Type 1 Diabetes in Finnish Children at Early Life.
- Metabolomics reveals new metabolic perturbations in children with type 1 diabetes.
- Low-calorie sweeteners may allow more glucose to enter fat cells.
- The Impact of Frequency and Tone of Parent-Youth Communication on Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- Predicting and Reducing Driving Mishaps Among Drivers With Type 1 Diabetes. See also Program identifies risky diabetic drivers and helps them improve.
- A Single Bout of High-Intensity Interval Training Reduces Awareness of Subsequent Hypoglycemia in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Glucose Variations and Activity Are Strongly Coupled in Sleep and Wake in Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and Safety of SGLT2 Inhibitors in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.
- A Methodology to Compare Insulin Dosing Recommendations in Real-Life Settings.
- Patterns, Policy and Appropriateness: A 12-Year Utilization Review of Blood Glucose Test Strip Use in Insulin Users.
- Early onset symptomatic neuropathy in a child with Type 1 Diabetes mellitus.
- Endocrine and metabolic consequences due to restrictive carbohydrate diets in children with type 1 diabetes: An illustrative case series.
- A Novel Patient-Derived Conceptual Model of the Impact of Celiac Disease in Adults: Implications for Patient-Reported Outcome and Health-Related Quality-of-Life Instrument Development.
- Living with celiac disease: A life-changing diagnosis.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Lilly Takes a Stab at Pricing Transparency, But Is It Enough of the Right Data?
- America Needs an Rx for Its Prescription Drug Prices is an editorial by Larry Smith and Larry Ellingson of the National Diabetes Volunteer Leadership Council. Both have served as the Chairman of the Board of the American Diabetes Association.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Science May Have Found a Way to Reserve Type 1 Diabetes.
- Apple has a secret team working on the holy grail for treating diabetes.
- Diabetic teen thanks strangers for saving his life.
- Ten-year-old, family, explain life with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fayetteville cyclist battles to become pro despite diabetes diagnosis.
- Salem toddler diagnosed with type 1 diabetes uses art to communicate.
- Young lacrosse star balances Type 1 diabetes with his sport.
- How Type 1 diabetes affects my abilities as a student.
- Patients Receive Lilly Diabetes Journey Award.
- 19-year old Georgia college student dies of diabetes complication.
- Rates of new diagnosed cases of type 1 and type 2 diabetes on the rise among children, teens.
- FDA Approves New Treatment Option for People with Diabetic Retinopathy.
- GeNeuro Initiates Phase 2a Study with GNbAC1 in Type 1 Diabetes in Australia.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday April 19, 2017 16:10:01
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.