Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers who drive how often they check they blood sugar before they drive. This week's poll asks parents how soon after diagnosis they went out alone with their spouse.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Help With The Hard Stuff by Lauren W. Tolle, PhD, and William T. O'Donohue, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My granddaughter Paige, who is three, was recently in the emergency room because of a low blood sugar. The nurse was checking her blood sugars to make sure they were coming up. When her blood sugar got to 90, the nurse told the doctor, "She's 90." Paige hollered, "I'm not 90, I'm only 3."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter wakes you up in the middle of the night and says, "Mommy, I'm beeping." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The endocrinologist recommended my son use mini-glucagon to help maintain his blood sugars during a 3 mile run. Is this the best way to prevent a low? He usually reduces his basal insulin and consumes extra carbohydrates, but still goes low.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
- When a child is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, it can be very scary. There's a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time and all of it is very important. It can be overwhelming. Kara & the Dire Beastie is an animated interactive eBook being created in partnership with the University of Florida to help families with children recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Your donations will help bring the eBook to life.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study, and Will be Compensated.
- Children and young adults (ages 6â€“21) newly-diagnosed with type 1 are needed for a study looking to preserve beta cell function.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- Diabetes Advocacy on the Go with the DPAC App.
General Diabetes Information
- Managing Diabetes While Maintaining an Active Lifestyle.
Diabetes in Social Media
- That 'Open Letter to Steve Jobs' 10 Years Later - Milestones in Patient Innovation!
- Pregnancy With Type 1 Diabetes.
- We rarely know how much we affect othersâ€™ lives: I learned last week.
- Can Type 1 diabetes progression be halted? Possible role of high dose vitamin D and omega 3 fatty acids.
- Performance of an Artificial Pancreas System for Young Children with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effects of Dapagliflozin on Insulin-requirement, Glucose Excretion, and Ăź- Hydroxybutyrate levels are not related to Baseline HbA1c in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Psychiatric medication use before and after the onset of type 1 diabetes in children and adolescents: A population-based cohort study.
- Xenotransplantation of layer-by-layer encapsulated non-human primate islets with a specified immunosuppressive drug protocol.
- Nighttime is the worst time: Parental fear of hypoglycemia in young children with type 1 diabetes.
- Associations between major life events and adherence, glycemic control, and psychosocial characteristics in teens with type 1 diabetes.
- Cost-effectiveness of sensor-augmented pump therapy versus standard insulin pump therapy in patients with type 1 diabetes in Denmark.
- Frequency of Evidence-Based Screening for Retinopathy in Type 1 Diabetes. See also Fewer exams and better eye health? Aye-aye, finds type 1 diabetes study.
- The effect of retraining on treatment success, life quality and metabolic parameters in patients with type 1 diabetes using insulin pump.
- Resting heart rate variability and exercise capacity in Type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Developing a Patient-Centered mHealth App: A Tool for Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes and Their Parents. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- High Prevalence of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Adolescents: Is There a Difference Depending on the NIH and Rotterdam Criteria?
- Safety of Adding Oats to a Gluten-free Diet for Patients with Celiac Disease: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Clinical and Observational Studies.
- Cereal Consumption among Subjects with Celiac Disease: A Snapshot for Nutritional Considerations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Zonulin transgenic mice show altered gut permeability and increased morbidity/mortality in the DSS colitis model. See also Mass. General researchers provide evidence linking "leaky gut" to chronic inflammation.
- Prevalence of Celiac Disease Autoimmunity Among Adolescents and Young Adults in China.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Senator Bernie Sanders wants to know How Has the High Price of Insulin and Other Diabetes Medications Impacted You.
- Desperate Families Driven to Black Market Insulin.
- Mom charged with disruption says she just wanted insulin for son.
- Nevada Could Deal a Serious Blow to Insulin Manufacturers.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Researchers discover technique that could lead to diabetes cure.
- IBM's Technology Predicts Diabetic Retinopathy with High Accuracy. See also IBM Machine Vision Technology Advances Early Detection of Diabetic Eye Disease Using Deep Learning.
- Brother, sister thrive despite Type 1 Diabetes.
- Young boy coming through Nashville on march across the U.S. for Type 1 Diabetes awareness.
- Oak Hills softball standout Sid McElroy is an inspiration to her teammates.
- Families who live with diabetes lament medication high costs.
- Point Walter camp provides help for children with diabetes.
- When Is It Safe to Drive With Type 1 Diabetes?
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday April 26, 2017 11:19:13
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.