Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
On Site Registration begins at
7:00 pm on Friday, May 5
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked parents how soon after diagnosis they went out alone with their spouse. This week's poll asks readers how they feel about insurance companies dictating the diabetes care products that they can use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, MS, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was at the endo yesterday and the nurse was commenting on his high readings lately. The nurse commented, "It looks like the honeymoon is over." Robbie (age 6) replied, "It can't be, I don't even have a wife yet!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 10-year-old daughter looks at a beautiful, pinkish-purple sunset and declares, "That is so pretty! It looks like an infected site!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son was put on lisinopril for a few positive microalbumin levels; how long will this medication take to bring the levels down?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Sick day management
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- The College Diabetes Network announces their Parent Ambassador Program to connect college students with type 1 diabetes families near their universities for assistance, guidance, or simply a friendly face. Parents, this is a great way to be there for someone who is away from home.
- ANNOUNCING: The 2017 DiabetesMine Patient Scholarship Awards - Innovate Locally.
- When a child is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, it can be very scary. There's a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time and all of it is very important. It can be overwhelming. Kara & the Dire Beastie is an animated interactive eBook being created in partnership with the University of Florida to help families with children recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Your donations will help bring the eBook to life.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Lilly Diabetes Hosts Insulin Pricing and Access Workshop.
- A Dad's Letter to Type One.
- The iLet Bionic Pancreas: An Update From Ed Damiano.
- One Story. One Survey.
- My Unexpected Refresher Course in Ketone Management.
- How Can Hypoglycemia Be Addressed in Type 1 Diabetes?
- Sharing Diabetes in Everyday Life.
- FDA Clears â€śMy Dose Coachâ€ť App to Optimize Basal Insulin Dosing.
- What parents of children with diabetes wish you knew.
- Sorry, But These Things Will Not Cure Diabetes.
- DKA in Jail â€“ Three Stories.
- Dog Exposure During the First Year of Life and Type 1 Diabetes in Childhood. See also Man's Best Friend Fails to Protect Against Type 1 Diabetes.
- Outpatient Closed-Loop Control with Unannounced Moderate Exercise in Adolescents Using Zone Model Predictive Control.
- Closed-Loop Control of Postprandial Glycemia Using an Insulin-on-Board Limitation Through Continuous Action on Glucose Target.
- A predictive model for lack of partial clinical remission in new-onset pediatric type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Predictive tool for children with type 1 diabetes will improve care, avoid complications.
- Endocannabinoid system acts as a regulator of immune homeostasis in the gut. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats. See also Compound in marijuana, chili peppers could reduce gut inflammation in type 1 diabetes.
- Circulating unmethylated insulin DNA as a potential non-invasive biomarker of beta cell death in type 1 Diabetes: a review and future prospect. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Comparison of Time Delay in Three Continuous Glucose Monitors for Adolescents and Adult.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Older Adults With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Using Multiple Daily Injections of Insulin: Results From the DIAMOND Trial.
- A cluster randomised trial, cost-effectiveness analysis and psychosocial evaluation of insulin pump therapy compared with multiple injections during flexible intensive insulin therapy for type 1 diabetes: the REPOSE Trial.
- Asymmetric changes in circulating insulin levels after an increase compared with a reduction in insulin pump basal rate in people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Ultrasound characterization of insulin induced lipohypertrophy in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Hypothyroidism among pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus, from patients' characteristics to disease severity.
- Celiac Disease and Anorexia Nervosa: A Nationwide Study. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Is the Diagnosis of Celiac Disease Possible Without Intestinal Biopsy?
- Charting Celiac Disease's Millennia-Long Rise to Prominence.
- Infectious component of celiac disease?
- Gluten-free Strategies: The emotional toll of adjusting to celiac disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- New Virginia law relief for families involved with Type 1 diabetes advocacy.
- What the MacArthur Amendment Means for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- A Secret Profit Formula Loved by Drug Middlemen Is at Risk.
- Calling PBMs (Pharmacy Benefit Managers) to the Carpet.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- 'It's not a barrier in life' - Theresa May opens up on Type 1 diabetes.
- Adolescents with good type 1 diabetes control have better long-term health outcomes.
- George Canyon honoured for tireless work, advocating for those with Type 1 diabetes.
- Cyclist turns a death sentence into a race against diabetes.
- Nick Jonas Opens Up About His Type 1 Diabetes With Some Inspiring Words.
- University of Virginia Researchers Develop Artificial Pancreas to Control Type 1 Diabetes.
- Unique program normalizes diabetes for kids with type 1.
- Nonprofit raises funds for children with Type 1 diabetes.
- Milton father runs North Pole half-marathon for diabetic son.
- With a motor and a mentor, elite basketball recruit Cate Reese moves forward with diabetes.
- Heroic boy, 6, saves diabetic mum's life as she collapses at kitchen table after breakfast.
- Try Walking In A Type I Diabetic's Shoes.
- 2 Investigators: The Black Market For Diabetes Test Strips.
- TetraGenetics Receives Investment from JDRF T1D Fund. See also JDRF T1D Fund Invests in TetraGenetics.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday May 03, 2017 16:00:41
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.