Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked how they feel about insurance companies dictating the diabetes care products that they can use. This week's poll asks parents who have kids in day care about who helps with insulin administration.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes by Leighann Calentine.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Let me begin by saying that when I'm stressed, it tends to work it's way to my stomach. When my son was diagnosed at 3, the doctor was sitting on the bed next to him, having a very big boy discussion about what diabetes was. The doctor said, "Can you say it? Can you say DI-A-BE-TES?" My son looked at him for a moment, very seriously, and said, "My mommy has DI-A-RHE-A".
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the toilet is stuffed, you call the plumber, he snakes the bowl, and at the end of his snake is a piece of blue plastic that just happens to match the blue plastic cover of your son's inset infusion set. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My teen had highs and moderate ketones from two pump failures. Would it have been okay to give her a snack when she asked for one?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Husband blaming Wife for child's Highs
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- The College Diabetes Network announces their Parent Ambassador Program to connect college students with type 1 diabetes families near their universities for assistance, guidance, or simply a friendly face. Parents, this is a great way to be there for someone who is away from home.
- ANNOUNCING: The 2017 DiabetesMine Patient Scholarship Awards - Innovate Locally.
- When a child is diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, it can be very scary. There's a lot of information to learn in a short amount of time and all of it is very important. It can be overwhelming. Kara & the Dire Beastie is an animated interactive eBook being created in partnership with the University of Florida to help families with children recently diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. Your donations will help bring the eBook to life.
Products, Services and Books
- Adam Brown's Bright Spots & Landmines offers highly actionable advice to help you achieve your diabetes care goals.
Diabetes in Social Media
- To the Mothers of Type 1 Diabetics.
- All Aboard â€śThe Insulin Expressâ€ť! (New Book Review with Giveaway).
- Tech-Friendly Clothing Choices for Women with Diabetes.
- Fatty acid status in infancy is associated with the risk of type 1 diabetes-associated autoimmunity.
- Intraperitoneal Insulin Delivery Provides Superior Glycemic Regulation to Subcutaneous Insulin Delivery in Model Predictive Control-based Fully-automated Artificial Pancreas in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Behavioral Patterns and Associations with Glucose Control During 12-Week Randomized Free-Living Clinical Trial of Day and Night Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Heterogeneity of Type 1 Diabetes: The Effect of Ethnicity.
- Progressive Retinal Vasodilation in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: A Longitudinal Study of Retinal Vascular Geometry.
- The Effect of National Service on Metabolic Control, Weight Status and Incidence of Acute Diabetes Complications in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Eating Pure Oats May be Okay for Celiac Sufferers: Study.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Keeping my kids with diabetes alive costs thousands a year. Trumpcare terrifies me.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetes can't stop you from climbing Everest.
- Diabetes doesn't slow Kimball down.
- Roy athletes not dragged down by Type 1 diabetes.
- North Scott soccer player battles diabetes with continuous optimism.
- Kids with diabetes show a 'Kandu' spirit.
- Doctors turn to the power of peer groups to help diabetics.
- Cross-Industry Partnership Reduces The Cost Of Popular Diabetes, Asthma And Other Brand Name Drugs.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday May 10, 2017 21:02:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.