Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Announcing the Tidepool Big Data Donation Project.
- Last week's poll asked about when they last refilled their glucagon prescription. This week's poll asks readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Gluten Freedom by Alessio Fasano, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was chosen to be line leader for his class at school. Prior to lunch he always goes down to the nurses office to have his blood sugar checked. When it was time to line up and go to lunch, my son went to the nurses office as usual, only on this day the whole class ended up there too. They all got a good laugh over it.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the stray dog who has parked himself on your deck has only been there 10 minutes and already has a test strip attached to his fur! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What does one do if insulin doses are reversed--short acting instead of long acting and vice versa?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Managing blood sugars with increased activity
Conferences and Events
- Riding on Insulin is offering Mountain Bike Camps this summer.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
- Readers are invited to share their thoughts on the Future of Insulin Delivery. Donations will be made to a non-profit of your choice for each survey submitted.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Targeting Employer Health Plans on Insulin Access.
- Colton Needs Our Help.
- Just How Quick is Fiasp, Novo Nordiskâ€™s Faster-Acting Insulin?
- Child with Type 1 Barred from Field Trip.
- I don't have diabetes but diabetes can still bring me down.
- Development of glucose-responsive 'smart' insulin systems.
- Impact of age and antibody type on progression from single to multiple autoantibodies in type 1 diabetes relatives.
- Sodium-Glucose Co-transporter-2 Inhibitors and Diabetic Ketoacidosis. An Updated Review of the Literature.
- Outcomes That Matter to Teens With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effectiveness of SmartGuard Technology in the Prevention of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia After Prolonged Physical Activity.
- Change in hemoglobin A1c one year following the 2014 American Diabetes Association guideline update.
- Psychological Flexibility Among Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Relating Patterns of Acceptance, Adherence, and Stress to Adaptation.
- The Canadian Hypoglycemia Assessment Tool Program: Insights Into Rates and Implications of Hypoglycemia From an Observational Study.
- Role of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Clinical Trials: Recommendations on Reporting.
- Objective Evaluation of Corneal and Lens Clarity in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Self-Reported Diagnosis of Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes and Lifestyle Change Among Uninsured Primary Care Patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Gluten-degrading bacteria are present in the human small intestine of healthy volunteers and celiac patients.
- Celiac Disease Symptom Resolution: Effectiveness of the Gluten Free Diet.
- A B-Cell Gene Signature Correlates With the Extent of Gluten-Induced Intestinal Injury in Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Science Has Begun Taking Gluten Seriously.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Rising insulin prices have diabetics crying foul.
- Nevada bill could force Sanofi, Novo and Lilly to reveal their insulin pricing secrets.
- Diabetics: Roche says it can save you big money.
- Diabetic Alabamian built her own artificial pancreas, gives away plan for free.
- Eric Paslay Treats Pediatric Diabetes Patients to a Private Concert â€” and Compares Glucose Monitors!
- Diabetes just another challenge for IndyCar driver Conor Daly.
- Newton mom continues diabetes education eight years after sonâ€™s death.
- JDRF and ViaCyte Announce Support for Development of PEC-Direct Cell Replacement Therapy for Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday May 24, 2017 14:59:39
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.