Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Last week's poll readers if they have considered adding medications designed for people with type 2 diabetes to their diabetes care regimen. This week's poll asks readers to tell us a bit about themselves.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss, who passed away last week.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
After recently buying "Mary Poppins" on DVD, our 6 kids went around singing all the songs. Well, John, our pumping 5 year old son had to put his own twist on "A Spoonful of Sugar." His version goes:Just a bolus full of insulin makes my sugars come down,I think he may have had some help from his 3 older sisters but now I can't hear the song without singing his rendition.
sugars come down,
sugars come down.
In the most painless way!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go through a drive-in at Dunkin' Donuts and see the sign that said "High Curb" and you start laughing because you think it said "HIGH CARB." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, my teen son has experienced elevated blood sugars at the start of cross country races. Should he do a corrective dose?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Pump decisions and insurance questions
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Team Bike Beyond has embarked on an epic, 10-week adventure, pedaling from New York City to San Francisco.
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
- Readers are invited to share their thoughts on the Future of Insulin Delivery. Donations will be made to a non-profit of your choice for each survey submitted.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Affordable Insulin Project and NDVLC is Advocating for You.
- Medtronic Warns of Stuck MiniMed Pump Buttons.
- JDRF Invests in TetraGeneticsā Innovative Approach to Type 1 Diabetes Prevention.
- Children Get Help for Mom with Type 1 During Low.
- Supply Subscription Services ā A Comparison of Choices.
- Author Advances Damaging Myth About Diabetes.
- The Amazing Story of Larry Kim, Founder of Team Live Your Dream.
- Bioengineering of an Intraabdominal Endocrine Pancreas. Free full text available in PDF format.
- 'Artificial Pancreas' Coming Soon for Diabetes Patients.
- Closed-Loop Insulin Delivery for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes Undertaking High-Intensity Interval Exercise Versus Moderate-Intensity Exercise: A Randomized, Crossover Study.
- Analyzing breath samples of hypoglycemic events in type 1 diabetes patients: towards developing an alternative to diabetes alert dogs.
- Clinical Impact of Blood Glucose Monitoring Accuracy: An In-Silico Study.
- Ketoacidosis at onset of type 1 diabetes is a predictor of long-term glycemic control.
- Optimizing the combination insulin bolus split for a high-fat, high-protein meal in children and adolescents using insulin pump therapy.
- An additional bolus of rapid-acting insulin to normalise postprandial cardiovascular risk factors following a high-carbohydrate high-fat meal in patients with type 1 diabetes: A randomised controlled trial. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Simple step to protect people with type 1 diabetes against heart disease.
- Exploring factors influencing HbA1c and psychosocial outcomes in people with type 1 diabetes after training in advanced carbohydrate counting.
- Projected Long-Term Outcomes in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Treated With Fast-Acting Insulin Aspart Versus Conventional Insulin Aspart in the UK Setting.
- Role of Mobile Technology to Improve Diabetes Care in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: The Remote-T1D Study iBGStarĀ® in Type 1 Diabetes Management.
- The Effect of Metformin as an Adjunct Therapy in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Sharing and helping: predictors of adolescents' willingness to share diabetes personal health information with peers.
- Prediction of preeclampsia in type 1 diabetes in early pregnancy by clinical predictors: a systematic review.
- Risk of Eating Disorders in Patients with Celiac Disease.
- Daily Experiences and Challenges Among Children and Adolescents with Celiac Disease: Focus Group Results.
- Commercially available glutenases: a potential hazard in coeliac disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Celiac Surge.
- Sampling Finds High Level of Gluten-Free Compliance.
- Coexistence of celiac disease & type 1 diabetes mellitus in children.
- Anti-gliadin antibodies in breast milk from celiac mothers on a gluten-free diet.
- Effect of soy flour on nutritional, physicochemical, and sensory characteristics of glutenāfree bread. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- New law lets schools help diabetic students.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Growing up with diabetes.
- How Nicole Petit lives with diabetes. Part one: The diagnosis.
- How Diabetes Is Transforming People Into Real-Life Cyborgs.
- Award presented to Carroll athlete dealing with diabetes.
- Versailles teen continues mission to strike out diabetes.
- Usher Reveals Why He Missed the Manchester Benefit Concert: 'I Would Have Loved to Be There'. See also Usher Takes Son to Diabetes Camp, Misses Manchester Benefit Concert.
- 8-year-old saves diabetic mother in South Bend.
- Move over mice, canines may be next in line to study diabetes.
- Beyond Type 1's Cross Country "Bike Beyond" Program To Kick Off On June 3rd, 2017.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday June 07, 2017 20:22:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.