Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Lynda Fisher, MD, joins our board.
- For some time now, weâ€™ve had a great working relationship with dQ&A, a diabetes research company based in San Francisco. dQ&A stands for Diabetes Questions and Answers, and they deliver feedback from people with diabetes to the companies that provide our medications, devices and care. They work with pretty much everyone in the diabetes field and have presented several times at Friends For Life. More importantly, their survey results have been instrumental in bringing new diabetes technology to the market.
Today, weâ€™d like to invite you to become part of dQ&Aâ€™s research process - they are looking for more families to take part in their quarterly feedback surveys. This is a great way to make sure that your voice heard by the leaders of diabetes care companies.
dQ&A will make a small donation to Children With Diabetes for every family that signs up, as well as compensating you for time you spend taking their surveys.
Please give this your consideration. If you wish to sign up and join the dQ&A Research Panel, visit this link.
- Last week's poll readers to tell us a bit about themselves. This week's poll asks readers if they have their most recent basal rates, insulin-to-carb ratios, and correction factors written down.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Sister Has Diabetes and How That Makes Me Feel by Grace Rooney.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your six year old runs to the bathroom yelling "I've got to go Type 2!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
If a child has type 1 diabetes and on an insulin pump, would they be on an unrestricted diet, meaning that they can eat anything in any quantity and not have complications?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Seeking recommendations for 504 Attorney in NYC
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Team Bike Beyond has embarked on an epic, 10-week adventure, pedaling from New York City to San Francisco.
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
- Readers are invited to share their thoughts on the Future of Insulin Delivery. Donations will be made to a non-profit of your choice for each survey submitted.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Live From ADA 2017.
Diabetes in Social Media
- A New Home for TuDiabetes.org and EsTuDiabetes.org.
- Look to the Edges.
- Banting's Ghost: A Grassroots Insulin Access Project.
- A life of "probably".
- Reenactment: Teenager Set Change.
- Stability, Accuracy, and Risk Assessment of a Novel Subcutaneous Glucose Sensor.
- Early childhood infections precede development of beta-cell autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes in children with HLA-conferred disease risk.
- Primary islet autoantibody at initial seroconversion and autoantibodies at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes as markers of disease heterogeneity.
- Efficacy and Safety of Mini-dose Glucagon for Treatment of Non-severe Hypoglycemia in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of hypoglycaemia on patient-reported outcomes from a global, 24-country study of 27,585 people with type 1 and insulin-treated type 2 diabetes.
- Bolus Calculator Reduces Hypoglycemia in the Short Term and Fear of Hypoglycemia in the Long Term in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes (CBMDI Study).
- Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: Romantic Relationships and Implications for Well-Being.
- Association Between Glycemic Variability, HbA1c, and Large-for-Gestational-Age Neonates in Women With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fetal Outcomes After Diabetic Ketoacidosis During Pregnancy.
- Effect of pregnancy planning on maternal and neonatal outcomes in women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Techniques of monitoring blood glucose during pregnancy for women with pre-existing diabetes.
- A 10-second sprint does not blunt hormonal counter-regulation to subsequent hypoglycaemia.
- Racial Differences in the Relationship of Glucose Concentrations and Hemoglobin A1c Levels. See also HbA1c Overestimates Glucose Levels in Black Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Why a key diabetes test may work differently depending on your race.
- Effects of exogenous human insulin dose adjustment on body mass index in adult patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus at Kalafong Hospital, Pretoria, South Africa, 2009 - 2014.
- Neuropathy and presence of emotional distress and depression in longstanding diabetes: Results from the Canadian study of longevity in type 1 diabetes.
- The identification of celiac disease in asymptomatic children: the Generation R Study.
- Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease in recently diagnosed celiac disease patients. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Nevada bill would require insulin makers to post profits.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Beyond Type 1, A Global Diabetes Non-Profit, To Take Over Diabetes Hands Foundation's Core Programs.
- A double struggle for a family dealing with type-1 diabetes.
- Fremont student disciplined after poking others at school with diabetic lancet.
- Woman Charged For Failing To Manage Daughterâ€™s Diabetes.
- Insulet Presents Positive OmnipodÂ® Horizonâ„˘ Hybrid Closed-Loop Study Results in Children.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Presents Findings from Predictive Low Glucose Suspend (PLGS) Feasibility Study and Announces Approval of Investigational Device Exemption (IDE) for Pivotal Trial.
- DexCom Announces FDA Approval of G5 Mobile App for Android Devices.
- Roche Diabetes Care Introduces Blood Glucose Meter and Savings Program Designed to Help the Over 29 Million People Living with Diabetes.
- Leading Health Organizations Announce Launch of Alliance for Transparent & Affordable Prescriptions.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday June 14, 2017 17:42:56
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.