Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Note: CWD's weekly What's New email newsletter will not be sent on Wednesday, July 5, 2017 because of our attendance at Friends for Life® Orlando 2017.
- For some time now, weâ€™ve had a great working relationship with dQ&A, a diabetes research company based in San Francisco. dQ&A stands for Diabetes Questions and Answers, and they deliver feedback from people with diabetes to the companies that provide our medications, devices and care. They work with pretty much everyone in the diabetes field and have presented several times at Friends For Life. More importantly, their survey results have been instrumental in bringing new diabetes technology to the market.
Today, weâ€™d like to invite you to become part of dQ&Aâ€™s research process - they are looking for more families to take part in their quarterly feedback surveys. This is a great way to make sure that your voice heard by the leaders of diabetes care companies.
dQ&A will make a small donation to Children With Diabetes for every family that signs up, as well as compensating you for time you spend taking their surveys.
Please give this your consideration. If you wish to sign up and join the dQ&A Research Panel, visit this link.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have sough counseling to help cope with the challenges of diabetes. This week's poll asks how much of a financial burden paying for diabetes supplies places on their family.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Typecast: Amazing People Overcoming the Chronic Disease of Type 1 Diabetes by Andrew Deutscher.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The other day my mom texted me this: "2 100's today". She watches my son Cole while I attend college full time. I texted back, "good, I changed his basal the other day". She texted back, "No, I was talking about his school work -- two 100% on his school work." We both laughed really hard -- this would only happen if you had a child with diabetes.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your laundry smells good because you accidentally washed the glucose tabs again. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter is losing hair at the scalp. What could be causing this? She takes Humalog and Synthroid. She was ill recently, too.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
I want a CGM but (my) CWD does not
Conferences and Events
- Save the Date: Consensus Conference on Outcomes Beyond A1C.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Team Bike Beyond has embarked on an epic, 10-week adventure, pedaling from New York City to San Francisco.
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
- Readers are invited to share their thoughts on the Future of Insulin Delivery. Donations will be made to a non-profit of your choice for each survey submitted.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- Read the results of the Diabetes Technology Society Blood Glucose Monitor System (BGMS) Surveillance Program.
- Lilly's Insulin Affordability web site offers information on existing programs that may help people with diabetes to access their insulin more affordably.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Transparency, Cost and Access Topics at #2017ADA.
- Getting the Diagnosis: Jen's Story.
- Raising Kids & My Own Diabetes: The Challenge Iâ€™ve Always Worked Toward.
- What The â€śForgotten Patientâ€ť Teaches Us.
- Tandem Diabetes Care: Staying Alive and Focused.
- Extensive Assessment of Blood Glucose Monitoring During Postprandial Period and Its Impact on Closed-Loop Performance.
- Genetic and Environmental Interactions Modify the Risk of Diabetes-Related Autoimmunity by 6 Years of Age: The TEDDY Study.
- Effects of Type 1 Diabetes Risk Alleles on Immune Cell Gene Expression. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Î˛-Cell Replacement Strategies: The Increasing Need for a â€śÎ˛-Cell Dogmaâ€ť. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Comparison of different insulin pump makes under routine care conditions in adults with Type 1 diabetes.
- Incidence of prolonged QTc and severe hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes: the EURODIAB Prospective Complications Study.
- Experiences of closed-loop insulin delivery among pregnant women with Type 1 diabetes.
- Glycemic Control and Muscle Damage in 3 Athletes with Type 1 Diabetes During a Successful Performance in a Relay Ultramarathon: A Case Report.
- Diabetes-Specific and General Life Stress and Glycemic Outcomes in Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: Is Race/Ethnicity a Moderator?
- Incidence of diabetes-related complications in Chinese patients with type 1 diabetes: a population-based longitudinal cohort study in Taiwan. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Successful management of refractory diabetic gastroparesis with long-term Aprepitant treatment.
- Whole lipid profile and not only HDL cholesterol is impaired in children with coexisting type 1 diabetes and untreated celiac disease.
- Infections in early Life and development of celiac disease.
- Extraintestinal Manifestations of Celiac Disease: Effectiveness of the Gluten-Free Diet.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Insulin is too expensive for many of my patients. It doesnâ€™t have to be.
- This Is What Happens When People With Diabetes Lose Medicaid.
- Bike Beyond stops in central Ohio, pedaling for type 1 diabetes awareness.
- Pleasant Prairie girl heads to Washington to be 'diabetic superhero'.
- Children with diabetes enjoy summer camp.
- This man has run forty half marathons to mark forty years of having diabetes.
- Tiny Device Helps Diabetics Monitor Blood Sugar Continuously & Discretely.
- Children with diabetes pose a special emotional challenge for parents and caregivers.
- Lilly Diabetes Brings an Extra Splash of Summertime Fun and Inspiration to Diabetes Camps with Launch of Annual Camp Care Package Speaker Tour.
- Phase 2a trial results support development of dasiglucagon in the iLet pump system for type 1 diabetes.
- Medtronic deal with Aetna ties insulin pump payment to patient results.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday June 28, 2017 18:34:39
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.