Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- One Gambian Doctor Saving the Lives of Children with Diabetes in His Hometown.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how often they take their mealtime insulin after they eat. This week's poll asks our readers if they reuse diabetes care products.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
It is sad how much our little ones are picking up on the lingo associated with diabetes. My little granddaughter was calling to my son and he didn't respond right away, so she yelled out, "You get over here, right this insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your kid has one extra dance recital ticket and of all the people in the world to invite, she invites the school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My toddler has had excessive thirst and urination, but urine and blood tests were normal. I am concerned due to a family history of diabetes. What do you think?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Low blood sugar with illness
Support, Advocacy, and Education
Diabetes in School
- Register for the American Diabetes Association's annual Safe at School webinar for parents/guardians on August 10, 2-3:5 p.m. EDT. Crystal Woodward, ADA's Safe at School director and T1D parent, and Joyce Boudoin, T1D parent and ADA volunteer, will provide an overview of legal protections for children with diabetes and tips on how to ensure a smooth transition back-to-school.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- MedAngel monitors temperatures to ensure that your medications aren't exposed to extremes that would damage them -- perfect for anyone who uses insulin.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Should You Share Your Childâ€™s Diabetes Lows and Hardships on Social Media?
- Family Behavior Can Lead to Diabetes-Related Eating Disorders.
- Voices Carry.
- So, Iâ€™m going to get a tattoo . . . .
- Valued Voices #4 - Chris Ruden.
- Predictors of early renal function decline in adults with Type 1 diabetes: the Coronary Artery Calcification in Type 1 Diabetes and the Pittsburgh Epidemiology of Diabetes Complications studies.
- Efficacy and safety of Biosimilar (SAR342434 insulin lispro) in adults with type 1 diabetes also using insulin glargine-SORELLA 1 study.
- Beyond glycemic control: a cross-over, double-blind, 24 week intervention with liraglutide in type 1 diabetes.
- The "Face" of Diabetes: Insight Into Youths' Experiences as Expressed Through Drawing. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Clinical and Psychosocial Factors Associated With Suicidal Ideation in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Overcoming diabetes-related stigma in Iran: A participatory action research.
- Lowering Cost Share May Improve Rates of Home Glucose Monitoring Among Patients with Diabetes Using Insulin. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Exercise Training Improves but Does Not Normalize Left Ventricular Systolic and Diastolic Function in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Keeping safe. Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) in persons with Type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycaemia: a qualitative study.
- The impact of exercise on sleep in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Maternal-Fetal Outcomes in 34 Pregnant Women with Type 1 Diabetes in Sensor-Augmented Insulin Pump Therapy.
- Euglycemic ketosis in an adolescent with type 1 diabetes on insulin and dapaglifozin: Case report.
- Ketoacidosis and SGLT2 inhibitor treatment: Analysis of FAERS data.
- Insulin regimens for newly diagnosed children with type 1 diabetes mellitus in Australia and New Zealand: A survey of current practice.
- Serum Vitamins and Minerals at Diagnosis and Follow-up in Children With Celiac Disease.
- Colonial Williamsburg forced boy with gluten allergy to eat outside in the rain, lawsuit says.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Congress must extend critical federal funding for type 1 diabetes research.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Oldest diabetic summer camp in the country, based in Newbury Township, continues tradition.
- IndyCar driver Kimball manages diabetes.
- Las Vegas siblings visit DC in diabetes research funding quest.
- 'Fun, sun and family': Kids with type 1 diabetes find community at camp.
- 'The signs were all there': Teen speaks out about diabetes diagnosis.
- â€śBeyond A1Câ€ť Pinpoints Metrics That Matter to Patients for Future FDA Approvals.
- A preventive vaccine for Type 1 Diabetes to be studied in humans for the first time.
- WHISTL Labs will be Cyber Range for Medical Devices.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday July 26, 2017 21:33:45
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.