Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Our report from Friends for Life® Orlando 2017 includes thousands of photos.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if their child's school district trains teachers, coaches and other non-nurse school staff to give insulin. This week's poll asks our readers if diabetes has affected their children who do not have it.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake up the whole house with the sound of a horrible scream when you accidentally stick your daughter's best friend (at 2:00 am) during a slumber party. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
What does one do if insulin doses are reversed--short acting instead of long acting and vice versa?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Out of Honeymoon stage and freaking out about the highs
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- What Do You Think about the Price of Insulin? Take this short survey for a chance to win a $25 Starbucks gift card.
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
Diabetes in School
- Register for the American Diabetes Association's annual Safe at School webinar for parents/guardians on August 10, 2-3:5 p.m. EDT. Crystal Woodward, ADA's Safe at School director and T1D parent, and Joyce Boudoin, T1D parent and ADA volunteer, will provide an overview of legal protections for children with diabetes and tips on how to ensure a smooth transition back-to-school.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- MedAngel monitors temperatures to ensure that your medications aren't exposed to extremes that would damage them -- perfect for anyone who uses insulin.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Stacey Simms speaks with Olympic Skier Kris Freeman & Singer/Songwriter Crystal Bowersox.
Diabetes in Social Media
- I Was Denied Insulin During Finals Week in College.
- In Sickness and in Health: I Have Diabetes.
- In Sickness and in Health: My Partner Has Diabetes.
- Two sides.
- 2017 Childrenâ€™s Congress Ask Senators for Continued Type 1 Research Funding.
- The Winning Team: An Interview with Charlie Kimball.
- Max Domi â€“ An NHL Hockey Player with Type 1.
- Limiting Low and High Blood Sugars During and After Exercise.
- 13-year-old Cycles 900km For Diabetes Awareness - Team Novo Nordisk.
- Eli Lillyâ€™s New Ultra-Rapid Insulin in the Works.
- Respiratory infections are temporally associated with initiation of type 1 diabetes autoimmunity: the TEDDY study.
- Closed-Loop Control Without Meal Announcement in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and Safety of Relamorelin in Diabetics with Symptoms of Gastroparesis: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study.
- Induction of IAPP amyloid deposition and associated diabetic abnormalities by a prion-like mechanism. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Could diabetes spread like mad cow disease?
- Incidence of severe hypoglycemia in children with type 1 diabetes in the Nordic countries in the period 2008-2012: association with hemoglobin A 1c and treatment modality. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Proportion of daily capillary blood glucose readings required in the target range for target glycaemic control: shift of focus from target range to proportion in range.
- Incidence and prevalence of diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) among adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1D): a systematic literature review. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Management and Family Burdens Endorsed by Parents of Youth <7 Years Old With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prediction of glycaemic control in young children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus using mixed-effects logistic regression modelling. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of Real-time Continuous Glucose Monitoring on Hypoglycemia in Adult Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in ePDF format.
- Clinic variation in glycaemic control for children with Type 1 diabetes in England and Wales: a population-based, multilevel analysis.
- Frequency and risk factors of depression in type 1 diabetes in a developing country.
- Moving beyond subcutaneous insulin: the application of adjunctive therapies to the treatment of type 1 diabetes.
- Influence of nutritional intervention on children with type 1 diabetes mellitus and DPP-4 in serum.
- Systematic review of publicity interventions to increase awareness amongst healthcare professionals and the public to promote earlier diagnosis of type 1 diabetes in children and young people.
- Papa John's has made a gluten-free pizza that gluten-intolerant diners can't eat.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- First implants derived from stem cells to â€˜cureâ€™ type 1 diabetes.
- Camp for kids with diabetes serves as much-needed retreat.
- Camp Leo offers exciting, supportive place for teens with Type 1 diabetes.
- Kentucky offensive lineman refuses to let diabetes define, defeat him.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday August 09, 2017 18:39:35
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.