Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Help IFL-USA provide aid to those in the path of Hurricane Harvey.
- Assistance for the T1D Community Affected by Hurricane Harvey.
- Urgent Need for Insulin and Diabetes Supplies in Wake of Texas Storm.
- Help During Hurricane Harvey.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if their child with type 1 has a 504 plan at school. This week's poll asks our readers if they have ever been forced to change the insulin they use by their insurance company.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Diabetes, 13th Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We were getting our puppy certified to be a therapy dog and we had to get a letter from the vet saying that she was healthy. This includes taking a stool sample to the vet. So after I "gathered" the sample and put it into a plastic baggy I noticed something black. After taking a look, it noticed what it was -- the dog had eaten a test strip!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are talking about a friend's car problem as "He needs to fix his carbohydrates" instead of carburetor. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My toddler, whose father has diabetes, has intermittent high blood sugars, but blood work for diabetes was negative. Should I continue to monitor him?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Not allowed to treat low blood sugar in Chem lab
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- #insulin4all Day of Action on U.S. Insulin Pricing. See also At Eli Lilly Headquarters, Diabetes Advocates Will Demonstrate For Affordable Insulin.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
Diabetes in Social Media
- The #1 Best Practice for Families with Type 1 Diabetes.
- 5 Years Later, I Want You to Know.
- Interview with Dr. Irl Hirsch on the Problem of Misdiagnosis.
- How I Protect and Serve with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Anthem Deems the Artificial Pancreas â€śInvestigationalâ€ť & Wonâ€™t Cover It.
- Beyond Type 1 Lanza Beyond Type 1 En EspaĂ±ol. See also Beyond Type 1 To Launch Beyond Type 1 en EspaĂ±ol At Es.BeyondType1.org.
- What End Users and Stakeholders Want From Automated Insulin Delivery Systems.
- Closed Loop Control During Intense Prolonged Outdoor Exercise in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes: The Artificial Pancreas Ski Study.
- Closed-loop glucose control in young people with type 1 diabetes during and after unannounced physical activity: a randomised controlled crossover trial.
- Untargeted metabolomic analysis in naturally occurring canine diabetes mellitus identifies similarities to human Type 1 Diabetes.
- Venous, Arterialized-Venous, or Capillary Glucose Reference Measurements for the Accuracy Assessment of a Continuous Glucose Monitoring System.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia: Also Effective in Patients with Psychological Distress?
- Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes: Patients' and Caregivers' Perceptions of Glycemic Control.
- Type 1 Diabetes at High Altitude: Performance of Personal Insulin Pumps and Patient Metabolic Control.
- Risk of atrial fibrillation in people with type 1 diabetes compared with matched controls from the general population: a prospective case-control study.
- HbA1c variability is associated with increased mortality and earlier hospital admission in people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Mortality and its Causes in a German Cohort with Diabetes Mellitus Type 1 after 20 Years of Follow-Up: The JEVIN Trial.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring Versus Usual Care in Patients With Type 2 Diabetes Receiving Multiple Daily Insulin Injections: A Randomized Trial.
- Type 1 Diabetes, Celiac Disease, and Neuropathy-A Nationwide Cohort Study.
- Presymptomatic Diagnosis of Celiac Disease in Predisposed Children: The Role of Gene Expression Profile.
- Effect of childhood coeliac disease on ninth grade school performance: evidence from a population-based study.
- Cardiometabolic risk factors in children with celiac disease on a gluten-free diet. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Research Communication Brief: Gluten Analysis in Beef Samples Collected Using a Rigorous, Nationally Representative Sampling Protocol Confirms That Grain-Finished Beef Is Naturally Gluten-Free.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- New law aims to give peace of mind to parents of diabetic children.
- Did a School Illegally Expel Two Children for Type 1 Diabetes?
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Son convinces dad to quit job, walk across country with him to raise diabetes awareness.
- Reds' Adam Duvall excels on field as he keeps diabetes in check.
- How UVA graduate with diabetes became a US Open inspiration.
- Mission Viejo resident rides 4,205 miles for Type 1 Diabetes awareness.
- Fort Wayne native biking cross country for diabetes awareness.
- ConVal's All-State quarterback embracing a new challenge.
- Former Miss Idaho teams up with bicyclists to raise money for diabetes.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Announces FDA Approval and Launch of t:slim X2 Insulin Pump with Dexcom G5 Mobile CGM Integration.
- Max Domi Set to Light It Up for Canadians Living with Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday August 30, 2017 19:33:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.