Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Help IFL-USA continues to provide aid to those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- Assistance for the T1D Community Affected by Hurricane Harvey.
- Urgent Need for Insulin and Diabetes Supplies in Wake of Texas Storm.
- Lilly Offers Help to Those Impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they have ever been forced to change the insulin they use by their insurance company. This week's poll asks our readers if they use a continuous glucose monitor.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Insulin Pumps, Continuous Glucose Monitors and the Artificial Pancreas, 3rd Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and Laurel Messer, RN, MPH, CDE.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
When my 5-year-old daughter, Danielle, was diagnosed with diabetes we explained it to her and her 3-year-old brother, Ben, that her blood sugar could be high, low or in the middle and we were trying to keep her in the middle by giving her insulin shots. A few weeks later we took both of them to get their flu shots and Ben started screaming as loud as he could to anyone who would listen, "I am in the middle! I am in the middle!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you no longer say it's time for dinner -- instead you yell to everyone that it's time to check blood sugars. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
I have had type 1 for 26 years and have no complications. I am concerned about low diastolic readings when I check my blood pressure. Should I be concerned?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How to get Apidra on vacation in hurricane-y Florida?
- Switching between Insulin Products in an Emergency offers guidance on caring for type 1 diabetes during an emergency situation. Courtesy of Dr. Stephen Ponder.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- #insulin4all Day of Action on U.S. Insulin Pricing. See also At Eli Lilly Headquarters, Diabetes Advocates Will Demonstrate For Affordable Insulin.
- Join JDRF's #Coverage2Control petition to tell insurance companies to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
Diabetes Products and Apps
- A Silly Patch offers clever and amusing patches to help secure CGM and insulin pump infusion sets.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Diabetes Community Shows Its Force of Kindness For Harvey Victims.
- Expecting the expected.
- Help a Mom of a Child with Type 1 After Harvey.
- Protective major histocompatibility complex allele prevents type 1 diabetes by shaping the intestinal microbiota early in ontogeny. See also Role Of Gut Bacteria In Averting Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improving the Safety and Functionality of an Artificial Pancreas System for Use in Younger Children: Input from Parents and Physicians.
- Albuminuria Reduction after High Dose of Vitamin D in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pilot Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type 1 diabetes incidence and prevalence trends in a cohort of Canadian children and youth..
- Excess all-cause mortality before age 30 in childhood onset type 1 diabetes: data from the Brecon Group Cohort in Wales.
- Live attenuated enterovirus vaccine (OPV) is not associated with islet autoimmunity in children with genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes: prospective cohort study.
- Rate of Change of Premeal Glucose Measured by Continuous Glucose Monitoring Predicts Postmeal Glycemic Excursions in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes: Implications for Therapy.
- Lessons Learned From a Life With Type 1 Diabetes: Adult Perspectives.
- Gender differences in disordered eating behaviors and body dissatisfaction among adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Results from diabetes MILES youth-Australia.
- Prevalence of lipohypertrophy in Insulin-treated diabetic patients: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Free full text available in ePDF format.
- Prevalence of Dental Caries in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Treated with Multiple Insulin Injections and that of Individuals without Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- In Hurricane Harveyâ€™s wake, endocrinologists, CDEs work together to meet diabetes supply crisis in Houston.
- How This Wearable Tech Is Changing The Daily Routine For People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sheyenne student Johnson trying to make most of diabetes diagnosis.
- Jordan Morris expands his Type 1 diabetes mentorship at USMNT camps.
- Good on the Canadiens for teaming up with organization for skaters with Diabetes.
- Larry Ott: Alexander Popiel shares special bond with Kimball.
- Inaugural Spa City Ride to Cure Diabetes set.
- Tour De Cure Offers Experience For All Athletes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday September 06, 2017 14:48:19
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.