Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
New This Week
- Puerto Rico Needs Your Help.
- Responding to Devastation in Puerto Rico.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Falls Church conference.
- Last week's poll asked our readers about their insulin regimen. This week's poll asks our readers if they use a continuous glucose monitoring system.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My eight-year-old son recently spoke to his class about an upcoming walk to cure diabetes and invited them to come and walk on behalf of his ten-year-old diabetic sister. He told me that he explained diabetes to his class and told them the following: "The white blood cells in my sister's body attacked her pancreas and now she doesn't have any more eyelids."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you are watching a football game and report that your team is behind by 4 units and nobody thinks a thing of it. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Recently diagnosed, we keep reducing our toddler's insulin to prevent lows. If we continue to reduce it, might this stress his remaining pancreatic function?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Does your type 1 feel his low during the night?
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Training Camp Foundation is hosting a Teen Boot Camp from December 1-3, 2017 in Lancaster, PA.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
General Diabetes Information
- REMOVAL Update: More Benefits of Metformin in T1D.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Teens With Type 1 Diabetes at Risk for Disordered Eating and Body Dissatisfaction.
- Can An Add-on Pill for Type 1 Diabetes Improve A1c and Weight Loss?
- Tresiba Basal Insulin to Launch in Canada in October 2017.
- T1D Risk Increased Following Influenza A H1N1 Diagnosis in Children.
- Childhood body mass index in relation to subsequent risk of type 1 diabetes-A Danish cohort study.
- Beta Cell Replacement in Mice Using Human Type 1 Diabetes Nuclear Transfer Embryonic Stem Cells.
- Nitrate induces a type 1 diabetic profile in alligator hatchlings.
- Cumulative Kidney Complication Risk by 50 Years of Type 1 Diabetes: The Effects of Sex, Age, and Calendar Year at Onset. See also Kidney disease â€˜virtually universalâ€™ at long durations of type 1 diabetes. See also Kidney disease checks essential in those with long-duration type 1 diabetes, say researchers.
- Continuous glucose monitoring in pregnant women with type 1 diabetes (CONCEPTT): a multicentre international randomised controlled trial.
- Recent Exposure to Hypoglycemia Increases Glucose Variability Following a Hyper/Hypoglycemic Metabolic Challenge in T1D.
- Could FreeStyle Libreâ„¢ sensor glucose data support decisions for safe driving?
- Type 1 diabetes during adolescence: International comparison between Germany, Austria, and Sweden.
- Insulin degludec versus insulin glargine U100 for patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes in the US: a budget impact analysis with rebate tables.
- Multiple educational programs improves glycemic control, quality of life with diminishing the impact of diabetes in poorly controlled type 1 diabetics.
- Inequalities in glycaemic control, hypoglycaemia and diabetic ketoacidosis according to socio-economic status and area-level deprivation in Type 1 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review.
- Immunopathology of childhood celiac diseaseâ€”Key role of intestinal epithelial cells. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Intestinal Production of Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase 2 Antibodies in Patients with Diagnosis Other Than Celiac Disease. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Neurophysiology of the "Celiac Brain": Disentangling Gut-Brain Connections. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- An In Vitro Fermentation Study on the Effects of Gluten FriendlyTM Bread on Microbiota and Short Chain Fatty Acids of Fecal Samples from Healthy and Celiac Subjects. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Nevada's drug-pricing law faces new court hearing next month.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Highworth's Nate sets up Type 1 Diabetes group.
- The suicide note that told Megan's diabulimia story. See also Diabulimia: what itâ€™s like to live with diabetes and an eating disorder and Everything you need to know about diabulimia, the dangerous mix of diabetes and an eating disorder. UK families can watch "Diabulimia: The World's Most Dangerous Eating Disorder" using the BBC Player.
- Ross Elementary raises more than 6K for juvenile diabetes research.
- Novo Nordisk extends sponsorship for two years.
- JDRF Funds Zucara Therapeuticsâ€™ Approach to Preventing Hypoglycemia in People with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sanofi Receives Tentative FDA Approval of AdmelogÂ® (insulin lispro injection) 100 Units/mL. See also FDA Tentatively Approves Sanofiâ€™s New Fast-Acting Insulin Admelog.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday September 27, 2017 18:07:53
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.