Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
New This Week
- Guest Post: Until Next Time, FFL.
- We've updated our forums to use a more modern system and to include our new look.
- Animas Corporation intends to exit the insulin pump business and discontinue the manufacturing and sale of AnimasÂ® VibeÂ® and OneTouch PingÂ® insulin pumps and direct its customers to Medtronic. In response, Insulet and Tandem have set up programs to help Animas pump users. See also NEWSFLASH: Animas Exiting Insulin Pump Market and Animas Shuts Down its Pump Line.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if their diabetes care teams let them choose their diabetes care products. This week's poll asks our parents where their child checks their glucose while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Insulin Express: One Backpack, Five Continents, and the Diabetes Diagnosis That Changed Everything by Oren Liebermann.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son was diagnosed at 21 months. At age three his ID bracelet broke. He handed me the remains, raised his little arm, and said, "Look mom I'm not diabetic anymore." It was hard to explain that it didn't work that way.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you consider crayons a "free food." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How important is pre-bolusing before meals?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Lost trust in teacher
- Sugar Surfing, Kids and Carbs.
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Training Camp Foundation is hosting a Teen Boot Camp from December 1-3, 2017 in Lancaster, PA.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
General Diabetes Information
- REMOVAL Update: More Benefits of Metformin in T1D. (Free Medscape membership required.)
Diabetes in Social Media
- Our Response to Animasâ€™ Exit from the Insulin Pump Market.
- Lilly Launches Humalog Junior KwikPen in the US.
- 10 Kids Thriving with Type 1.
- Patient Panelist Spotlight: Dr. Nick Argento.
- 6 Parodies of Songs With Diabetes Injected into the Lyrics.
- PandemrixÂ® vaccination is not associated with increased risk of islet autoimmunity or type 1 diabetes in the TEDDY study children. Free full text available in PDF format. See also The risk of type 1 diabetes not increased by swine flu vaccine Pandemrix.
- Detailed Analysis of Insulin Absorption Variability and the Tissue Response to Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Catheter Implantation in Swine.
- The chromosome 6q22.33 region is associated with age at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes and disease risk in those diagnosed under 5 years of age.
- Association of glycemic control with reduced risk of large vessel disease after more than 50 years of type 1 diabetes.
- Clinic attendance and disengagement of young adults with type 1 diabetes after transition of care from paediatric to adult services (TrACeD): a randomised, open-label, controlled trial. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Type 1 Diabetes and Long-Term Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy: A 10-Year Experience from Macedonia.
- Determinants of preeclampsia in women with type 1 diabetes.
- Differential effects of age and sex on insulin sensitivity and body composition in adolescent offspring of women with type 1 diabetes: results from the EPICOM study.
- Association of Type 1 Diabetes, Social Support, Illness and Treatment Perception with Health Related Quality of Life.
- Insulin Injection Site Adverse Effect in a Type 1 Diabetes Patient: An Unusual Presentation. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Diabetes Alert Dogs (DADs): An Assessment of Accuracy and Implications. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Common antibiotics not associated with increased risk of Type 1 diabetes or celiac disease in children. See also Early antibiotics use not associated with type 1 diabetes or celiac disease, study suggests.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Barring a schoolgirl from a school trip due to a type 1 diabetes appointment is discriminatory and unfair. See also Girl, 7, with diabetes is banned from school cinema trip because hospital appointment cost her 100% attendance record.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- â€˜It is cripplingâ€™ â€” NJ diabetics struggling to afford insulin.
- Student Athlete of the Week: Griffin Floyd.
- Lawson researchers develop transition program to help young adults with type 1 diabetes move from paediatric to adult care.
- Animas Corporation to Close Operations and Exit Insulin Pump Market.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday October 10, 2017 21:59:09
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.