Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- We've updated our forums to use a more modern system and to include our new look.
- Animas Corporation intends to exit the insulin pump business and discontinue the manufacturing and sale of AnimasÂ® VibeÂ® and OneTouch PingÂ® insulin pumps and direct its customers to Medtronic. In response, Insulet and Tandem have set up programs to help Animas pump users. See also NEWSFLASH: Animas Exiting Insulin Pump Market and Animas Shuts Down its Pump Line.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers what their plans are for Halloween. This week's poll asks our readers when they are most worried about hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Balancing Diabetes: Conversations about finding happiness and living well by Kerri Sparling.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My three year old daughter Haley and I were reading one of her favorite bedtime stories, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. When we got to the page with all of the junk food the caterpillar ate, Haley named all of the goodies: a piece of cake, a piece of candy, pie, sausage, etc. After the very last one she said in all seriousness, "Mommy, he needs to check his blood sugar. He ate too much!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when, after a trip to Europe, you can say "sugar free" in 12 languages, but "How are you?" in only two. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
To stop fainting episodes when menstruating, my daughter was put on an oral contraceptive, which causes high blood sugars and weight gain. Is this a common phenomenon? Is there any other way to alleviate severe menstrual symptoms? And, are there long term hazards of being on the pill too long?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Help with Injections
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Training Camp Foundation is hosting a Teen Boot Camp from December 1-3, 2017 in Lancaster, PA.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Deliberately non-compliant diabetic.
- Dear President Trump: You. Diabetes Comments. Not good.
- Insulin Pump User Updates Pump Software from Home.
- A 180-Day CGM: Senseonicsâ€™ Eversense XL Approved in Europe.
- Association Between Early-Life Antibiotic Use and the Risk of Islet or Celiac Disease Autoimmunity.
- What End Users and Stakeholders Want From Automated Insulin Delivery Systems.
- Incidence, Demographics, and Clinical Characteristics of Diabetes of the Exocrine Pancreas (Type 3c): A Retrospective Cohort Study. See also Newly-identified third type of diabetes is being wrongly diagnosed as type 2.
- Optical coherence tomography angiography vessel density in children with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pre-clinical results in pig-to-non-human primate islet xenotransplantation using anti-CD40 antibody (2C10R4)-based immunosuppression.
- The Use of Language in Diabetes Care and Education. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Optimal prandial timing of bolus insulin in diabetes management: a review.
- Effect of Metformin on vascular function in children with type 1 diabetes: A 12 month randomized controlled trial.
- Effect of Financial Incentives on Glucose Monitoring Adherence and Glycemic Control Among Adolescents and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Clinical Trial.
- Relationship of Glucose Variability With Glycated Hemoglobin and Daily Mean Glucose: A Post Hoc Analysis of Data From 5 Phase 3 Studies.
- The relation between HbA1c and hypoglycemia revisited; a secondary analysis from an intervention trial in patients with type 1 diabetes and impaired awareness of hypoglycemia.
- High Glucose Variability in Hospitalized Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Mental Health and Well-Being among Type 1 Diabetes Caregivers in India: Evidence from The IDREAM Study.
- Development and Validation of the Celiac Disease-Children's Activities Report (CD-Chart) for Promoting Self-Management among Children and Adolescents. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Indications and Use of the Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet for Patients with Non-Responsive Celiac Disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- JDRF advocates for all Canadians living with type 1 diabetes to be eligible for the Disability Tax Credit. See also Liberals accused of tax grab by clawing back disability credit for diabetics.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Girl, 7, told she CAN go on school trip after ban over hospital appointment.
- Dear Abby: Grandma refuses to take boyâ€™s diabetes seriously.
- Newbridge mum, Kathy Moore tells how her eight year old daughter copes with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetic man hits out over NHS refusal to fund testing system that could change lives.
- Lilly announces $72 million investment in diabetes manufacturing in Indianapolis.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday October 25, 2017 06:25:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2017. Comments and Feedback.