Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
New This Week
- This Diabetes Awareness Month, we are celebrating diabetes Warriors everywhere. For every Warrior Call that is shared or posted Dexcom will donate $1 to Children with Diabetes and other charities supporting T1D. Just upload your best Warrior Call to Facebook or Instagram. It can be a photo, a look, a shout or a song. Tag @Dexcom, use #WarriorUp and raise awareness during the month of November. Learn more at Dexcom's Call of the Warrior Challenge and see our Tween Warrior Call and Elementary Warrior Call from Friends for Life Falls Church 2017.
- Last week's poll asked readers how much time they spend each day on diabetes-related tasks. This week's poll asks our readers how often they check for ketones when they are sick and have an unexpected high blood sugar.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Bright Spots and Landmines: The Diabetes Guide I Wish Someone Had Handed Me by Adam Brown.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son, age eight and T1 since he was two and the youngest of three, enjoys getting his older siblings in trouble. He will do this by any means possible and has been known to stretch the truth from time to time. My husband, in the middle of giving our son another speech about his favorite pastime, blurts out, "you are going to be known as a "lie-abetic" if this keeps up.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find your five-year-old daughter testing the finger of her baby doll and saying "Uh-Oh, what did you eat?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The endocrinologist recommended my son use mini-glucagon to help maintain his blood sugars during a 3 mile run. Is this the best way to prevent a low? He usually reduces his basal insulin and consumes extra carbohydrates, but still goes low.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Sick Day Training
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Diabetes Awareness Month Fallout.
- The Importance of Diabetes Awareness Month.
- More and Better CGMs (Continuous Glucose Monitors) on the Way.
- Eversense Review.
- Cellnovo Progressing on AP Dreams, But Whereâ€™s First-Gen Pump for U.S.?
- The Choices of Diabetes: Reflections on a Twentieth Diaversary.
- Diabetes Burnout is Your Right.
- Celebrating thousands of teens involved in landmark Type 1 diabetes research.
- Why I'm Not a Diabetes Warrior.
- What A Diabeetus.
- Impact of an Automated Bihormonal Delivery System on Psychosocial Outcomes in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Role of Age and Excess Body Mass Index in Progression to Type 1 Diabetes in At-Risk Adults.
- Maternal obesity as a risk factor for early childhood type 1 diabetes: a nationwide, prospective, population-based case-control study.
- Biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial dysfunction as predictors of pulse pressure and incident hypertension in type 1 diabetes: a 20 year life-course study in an inception cohort.
- Factors Affecting Recruitment of Participants for Studies of Diabetes Technology in Newly Diagnosed Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: A Qualitative Focus Group Study with Parents and Children. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- ACE Inhibitors and Statins in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. See also Do ACE Inhibitors or Statins Alter Albumin Excretion in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes?
- The effect of peer support in adults with insulin pump-treated type 1 diabetes: a pilot study of a flexible and participatory intervention. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Exploring Correlates of Diabetes-Related Stress among Adults with Type 1 Diabetes in the T1D Exchange Clinic Registry.
- Total Serum Cholesterol Increases Risk for Development and Progression of Nonproliferative Retinopathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Without Therapeutic Intervention: Prospective, Observational Study.
- Upper extremity impairments in type 1 diabetes with long duration; common problems with great impact on daily life.
- Younger age at diagnosis predisposes to mucosal recovery in celiac disease on a gluten-free diet: A meta-analysis. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Risk of Clostridium difficile Infection in Patients With Celiac Disease: A Population-Based Study.
- The effect of the gluten free diet on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with coeliac disease: A systematic review.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- A Quest: Insulin-Releasing Implant For Type-1 Diabetes.
- Iconic Buildings To Go Blue For World Diabetes Day.
- Jennifer Stone And 6 Other Celebrities Who Have Type 1 Diabetes.
- Hartland woman's 3 children have diabetes. She won't stop raising money until a cure is found.
- On Henry, Hockey and Finding The Cure.
- Your milk may trigger diabetes.
- Liddy Huntsman: Type 1 diabetics face enough obstacles â€” donâ€™t limit our treatment choices.
- Helmsley Charitable Trust Awards $52 Million to Support the Global Platform for the Prevention of Autoimmune Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
Last Updated: Wednesday November 08, 2017 18:56:32
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.