Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
New This Week
- This Diabetes Awareness Month, we are celebrating diabetes Warriors everywhere. For every Warrior Call that is shared or posted Dexcom will donate $1 to Children with Diabetes and other charities supporting T1D. Just upload your best Warrior Call to Facebook or Instagram. It can be a photo, a look, a shout or a song. Tag @Dexcom, use #WarriorUp and raise awareness during the month of November. Learn more at Dexcom's Call of the Warrior Challenge and see our Tween Warrior Call and Elementary Warrior Call from Friends for Life Falls Church 2017.
- Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they check for ketones when they are sick and have an unexpected high blood sugar. This week's poll asks our parents about what they do if their child needs a new infusion set while at school.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Kids First Diabetes Second: Tips for Parents a Child with Type 1 Diabetes by Leighann Calentine.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Last week, Scott took Daniel and Jesse to Raceway Park in New Jersey to see drag racing, funny car races, etc. The other night, at about 11:15 pm, the house phone rings. I picked it up to hear Daniel say, "389." I said, "What did Jesse eat? Didn't the CGM alarm? What's wrong?" I'm kind of panicky. Daniel laughed and said, "Ma, what are you talking about?" I said, "A blood sugar of 389 is nothing to laugh about!" My brilliant son said, "Ma, I don't know what you're talking about. But Dad just filled up your gas tank at $3.89 a gallon."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your son without diabetes comes out of the bathroom at the age of 3 and announces that he thinks he has diabetes -- "Oh, no, I mean diarrhea!" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My granddaughter lies about cheating with foods and has great swings in her blood sugars. She will not do her school work and does not care about anything. Where can we find help?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Participate in PAID diabetes research surveys
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
- Get involved with JDRF's #Coverage2Control campaign and tell your insurance company to provide coverage that works for people with type 1 diabetes.
- Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Be sure to watch the Bike Beyond - The Documentary (Extended Sneak Peek).
Diabetes in Social Media
- Who was Dr Banting?
- Looking Back at Diabetes Icon Keith Campbell.
- The Diabetes You Don't See.
- Life For A Child: 1,000 Donor Campaign.
- Weathering Hurricane Harvey with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Fiasp, a Faster Insulin, Has Been Approved. Now What?
- Day One of Life with Diabetes: Memories from Diagnosis Day.
- Uncovering the Mysteries of Diabetes and Vitamin D (New Study Findings).
- Dealing With Diabetes Burnout: Slow Down, Breathe More.
- 25 Years Ago My Life Changed Because of Diabetes.
- The Sticky Truth on Adhesives for Diabetes Devices.
- How People with Type 1 Handle Holiday Eating.
- Fluctuations in the incidence of type 1 diabetes in the United States from 2001 to 2015: a longitudinal study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Screening for Type 1 Diabetes Risk in Newborns: The Freder1k Pilot Study in Saxony.
- Circulating Endothelial Progenitor Cells in Type 1 Diabetic Patients: Relation with Patientsâ€™ Age and Disease Duration. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enterovirus-associated changes in blood transcriptomic profiles of children with genetic susceptibility to type 1 diabetes.
- 25-hydroxyvitamin D, autoantigenic and total antibody concentrations: results from a Danish case-control study of newly diagnosed patients with childhood type 1 diabetes and their healthy siblings.
- Associations between birthweight, gestational age at birth and subsequent type 1 diabetes in children under 12: a retrospective cohort study in England, 1998-2012.
- A novel curcumin derivative for the treatment of diabetic neuropathy.
- The Role of Peers for Diabetes Management in Adolescents and Emerging Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A Longitudinal Study.
- ACE Inhibitors and Statins in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Diabetes Care Disparities in Long-standing Type 1 Diabetes in Canada and the United States: A Cross-Sectional Comparison.
- Treatment with insulin analogs and prevalence of cardiovascular complications in patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Micronutrient Intake in a Cohort of Italian Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Adherence to Dietary Recommendations. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Route to improving Type 1 diabetes mellitus glycaemic outcomes: real-world evidence taken from the National Diabetes Audit.
- Maternal Diabetes Mellitus and Genital Anomalies in Male Offspring: A Nationwide Cohort Study in two Nordic Countries.
- Mortality and acute complications in children and young adults diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in Yorkshire, UK: a cohort study.
- Gluten-free diet among school-age children in Olmsted County, Minnesota. Free full text available in Reader format.
- Intestinal anti-transglutaminase2 IgA deposits in children at risk for coeliac disease: data from the Prevent CD study.
- Eating with celiac disease isnâ€™t easy.
- PvP Biologics Creates First Therapeutic Enzyme for Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Westford resident receives medal for surviving 50 year with Type 1 diabetes.
- How Jordan Morris tamed Type 1 diabetes â€“ and inspires future generations.
- Research underway to detect diabetes in children before it develops.
- â€˜I am not diabetesâ€™ - Rachel Portelli, Type 1 Diabetic .
- How these students at Coronaâ€™s Santiago High live with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Families pay thousands for service dogs they say misbehave in public.
- Study Results: Usability of a Predictive Low Glucose Suspend (PLGS) Feature on a Touchscreen Insulin Pump.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday November 15, 2017 19:44:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.