Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
New This Week
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
- Last week's poll asked readers about what innovation they think is most likely in 2018. This week's poll asks readers how they think type 1 will be cured first.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Teens: A Guide to Managing Your Life With Diabetes by Korey Hood, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
One evening, after dinner, our daughter who has diabetes asked me to get her some Hershey's Kisses to eat. I grabbed the bag as her siblings also asked for some. I gave two to her sister, then I gave my daughter two. She said, "Please give me another one; I bolused for three." Her non-diabetic sister quickly chimed it, "Well, I bolused for five."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you find used infusion sets tied to the furniture as toys for the new kitten. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
During an endoscopy, the doctor determined that I might have gastroparesis. What can you tell me about this condition and its therapy?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Overnight waking feeling ill
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- In 2017, have you tried to access a childcare/youth program provided by the US Army? If so, the Association is interested in hearing about your experience. Please contact Crystal Woodward, Director Safe at School, at the American Diabetes Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The 10 Most Popular Diabetes Stories from 2017.
- Diaversary #7 â€“ A New Chapter â€“ Amyâ€™s boyfriendâ€™s honest thoughts.
- Are Microbiome Changes a Cause or Symptom of Type 1 Diabetes?
- Ultra Endurance: Fueling, Insulin Sensitivity and Stress with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Distinct fecal and oral microbiota composition in human type 1 diabetes, an observational study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of a Glucagon Receptor Antibody (REMD-477) in Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Transplantation of Macro-encapsulated Human Islets within the Bioartificial Pancreas Î˛ Air to Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Designing a retrievable and scalable cell encapsulation device for potential treatment of type 1 diabetes. See also Spider web inspired implantable "string" could control diabetes.
- Incidence and prevalence trends of youth-onset type 2 diabetes in a cohort of Canadian youth: 2002-2013.
- Weight-based carbohydrate treatment of hypoglycaemia in people with Type 1 diabetes using insulin pump therapy: a randomized crossover clinical trial.
- A national survey on the efficacy and safety of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in patients with type 1 diabetes in Spain.
- Making All Medications Gluten-free.
- Adherence to the gluten free diet and health related quality of life in an ethnically diverse pediatric population with Celiac Disease.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Freed From the iPhone, the Apple Watch Finds a Medical Purpose.
- Diagnosis doesnâ€™t keep Mercer soccer player off the field.
- Diabetes inspires Calgary rapper to release new song, raise awareness.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday January 03, 2018 20:51:14
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.