Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Diabetes Patientsâ€™ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
New This Week
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they think type 1 will be cured first. This week's poll asks readers about the insulins they use.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Raising Teens with Diabetes: A Survival Guide for Parents by Moira McCarthy.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
The day after my daughter started pumping, she experienced a low, so I decided to pick her up from school. Imagine my surprise when the nurse told me "She's suspended." As she realized my eyes had widened, she corrected herself, saying, "Oh, I meant her pump."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 3-year-old son with diabetes asks every person who drinks juice, "Are you low?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
For the past few years, my teen son has had extreme muscle pain and tightness the day after exercise. Is this a side effect of Lantus or something else diabetes-related? What do you recommend?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
How often do you change out pump reservoir/cartridge?
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- In 2017, have you tried to access a childcare/youth program provided by the US Army? If so, the Association is interested in hearing about your experience. Please contact Crystal Woodward, Director Safe at School, at the American Diabetes Association at email@example.com.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes Products and Apps
- Integrated Diabetes Services offers its 2018 New Insulin Pump Comparisons and Reviews .
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Dr. Bantingâ€™s Miracle Drug.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Diabetes Advocacy Orgs: 2017 Milestones & 2018 Goals! (Part 1) and Diabetes Advocacy Orgs: 2017 Achievements & 2018 Plans! (Part 2).
- Libre vs. Dex: A Sugar Surfer's Experience.
- Libre vs. Dexcom: A Diabetes Educatorâ€™s Experience.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Reports Successful Completion of Closed Loop Pilot Study.
- Cowâ€™s Milk Baby Formula Doesnâ€™t Increase Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effect of Hydrolyzed Infant Formula vs Conventional Formula on Risk of Type 1 Diabetes: The TRIGR Randomized Clinical Trial. See also Modifying baby formula doesn't prevent type 1 diabetes in children.
- Infant Feeding in Relation to the Risk of Advanced Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes in Children With Increased Genetic Susceptibility: A Cohort Study.
- Endogenous Reprogramming of Alpha Cells into Beta Cells, Induced by Viral Gene Therapy, Reverses Autoimmune Diabetes.
- Reversible retinal vessel closure from VEGF-induced leukocyte plugging.
- Method may reverse vision loss from diabetes.
- Incidence of type 1 diabetes in China, 2010-13: population based study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin Concentration in Vials Randomly Purchased in Pharmacies in the United States: Considerable Loss in the Cold Supply Chain.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis Severity at Diagnosis and Glycaemic Control in the First Year of Childhood Onset Type 1 Diabetes-A Longitudinal Cohort Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The Effects of Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Versus Multiple Insulin Injections on Glucose Variability in Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: The 2-Year Follow-Up of the Observational METRO Study.
- Safe Completion of a Trail Running Ultramarathon by Four Men with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy in adolescents and young adults with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: The SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Cohort Study.
- Influence of socioeconomic and psychological factors in glycemic control in young children with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Long term effects of gluten-free diet in non-celiac wheat sensitivity.
- 7 Things I Love About Having Celiac Disease.
- Celiac in Paris.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- State Rep. Dylan Roberts plans to introduce bill to bring transparency to insulin prices in Colorado.
- Diabetes Shouldnâ€™t Bankrupt You.
- Parents agonize over their kids' health as funding for children's insurance program remains in doubt.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Could Pitt genetic procedure allow people with type 1 diabetes to produce their own insulin? See also Gene Therapy Temporarily Reverses Type 1 Diabetes in Mice.
- Maine woman pushing Congress to cover Type 1 diabetes insulin pump.
- Noahâ€™s March: 11-Year-Old Breaks a Record Walking for a Cure.
- To catch Apple, Fitbit invests in a company that makes a small patch to track blood sugar for diabetics.
- Diabetes device development is ramping up but reimbursement looms large.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Reports Successful Completion of First Pilot Study Using t:slim X2 Insulin Pump with TypeZero Hybrid Closed Loop Technology and Dexcom G6 Integration; Confirms IDCL Multi-site Study Timeline.
- Abbott's Revolutionary Continuous Glucose Monitoring System, FreeStyleÂ® Libre, Now Available To Medicare Patients.
- Livongo and Lilly Collaborate on Real-World Diabetes Research.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday January 17, 2018 19:22:24
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.