Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Haylee is eight and lives in Tasmania.
- Last week's poll asked readers how often they worry about nighttime hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks readers if they or their child were in DKA at diagnosis.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Insulin Express: One Backpack, Five Continents, and the Diabetes Diagnosis That Changed Everything by Oren Liebermann.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
While putting on my makeup, my 8-year-old diabetic daughter was looking at a lipstick case with several different colors in it. She said, "Hey, this looks like my ketone strip -- this shade is high and this one is trace."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes you when you find yourself arguing with your daughter because she WON'T eat her ice cream before she goes to bed! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
If a person accidentally injects fast acting insulin instead of long acting, what do you recommend they do?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
T Slim question
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- In 2017, have you tried to access a childcare/youth program provided by the US Army? If so, the Association is interested in hearing about your experience. Please contact Crystal Woodward, Director Safe at School, at the American Diabetes Association at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Diabetes in Social Media
- FDA Approves Admelog, the First Biosimilar Mealtime Insulin.
- Four Years After Sonâ€™s Death From DKA, Ohio Couple Still Advocating to Improve Access to Insulin.
- A New and Improved Glucagon for Severe Low Blood Sugar Treatment?
- Three New Products to Make Injections Suck Less (with Giveaway!).
- An Implantable Sesame Seed-Sized CGM!
- What Itâ€™s Really Like To Parent A Child With A Chronic Illness.
- Sean Busbyâ€™s Heroes â€“ Seanâ€™s Wife Mollie on Type 1 Diabetes and Relationships.
- Decreased Î±-cell mass and early structural alterations of the exocrine pancreas in patients with type 1 diabetes: An analysis based on the nPOD repository. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Dual-hormone artificial pancreas: benefits and limitations compared with single-hormone systems.
- Low-grade Inflammatory Marker Profile May Help to Differentiate Patients With LADA, Classic Adult-Onset Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes.
- A Practical Approach to Using Trend Arrows on the Dexcom G5 CGM System to Manage Children and Adolescents With Diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Effects of Preceding Ethanol Intake on Glucose Response to Low-Dose Glucagon in Individuals With Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Study.
- Rapid-acting and Regular Insulin are Equal for High Fat-Protein Meal in Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes Treated with Multiple Daily Injections.
- Continuous glucose monitoring in pregnant women with Type 1 diabetes: benefits for mothers, using pumps or pens, and their babies.
- Interstitial Glucose and Physical Exercise in Type 1 Diabetes: Integrative Physiology, Technology, and the Gap In-Between. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of Continuous Glucose Monitoring on Glycemic Control, Acute Admissions and Quality of Life: A Real-World Study.
- Lived Experiences of Mothers with Diabetic Children from the Transfer of Caring Role. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- The role of hypoglycemia in the burden of living with diabetes among adults with diabetes and family members: results from the DAWN2 study in The Netherlands. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Do Adolescents with T1DM Differ from Their Peers in Health, Eating Habits and Social Support?
- A qualitative interview study of people living with well-controlled Type 1 diabetes.
- The effects of metformin in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Effect of Metformin on Glycemic Control in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials.
- Direct and indirect health economic impact of hypoglycaemia in a global population of patients with insulin-treated diabetes.
- Effectiveness of a tailored medical support to overcome the barriers to education, treatment and good metabolic control in children with type-1 diabetes from ethnic minorities.
- Anti-Insulin Antibodies and Adverse Events with Biosimilar Insulin Lispro Compared with Humalog Insulin Lispro in People with Diabetes.
- Diabetes technology: improving care, improving patient-reported outcomes and preventing complications in young people with Type 1 diabetes.
- Survey on diabetic patients treated with insulin during the fasting month of Ramadan.
- Celiac antibodies in children with type 1 diabetes - A diagnostic validation study.
- Rate and determinants of non-adherence to a gluten-free diet and nutritional status assessment in children and adolescents with celiac disease in a tertiary Brazilian referral center: a cross-sectional and retrospective study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Party City Apologizes For Ad That Calls Gluten-Free People â€˜Grossâ€™.
- Stop the Bullying: A Response to Party City's Commercial.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- How Insulin Became Unaffordable.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Late introduction of gluten linked to higher risks of type 1 diabetes.
- 2017 Inventor: Kavya Kopparapu, 17.
- Izabel Goulart Shows "Love" for the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation Through Charitable Giving App Elbi.
- Isle of Wight man recognised for seven decades of coping with Type 1 diabetes.
- Woman with type 1 diabetes who treated hypo receives parking fine.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday January 24, 2018 17:37:55
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.