Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Logan and his #tsliminthewild raised over $24,000 for Children with Diabetes and JDRF.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they or their child were in DKA at diagnosis. This week's poll asks readers if diabetes has changed how they sleep.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Little Red Sports Car by Eleanor Troutt, illustrated by J. Chris Price.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We recently painted my daughter's room. We gave her the choice of color. I picked out a pretty shade of pink and she said "No way!" I asked, "Why not? You want a pink room." She said, "I don't want any color that is on a ketone strip!" Sure enough, that was the color of moderate ketones!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes you when the only thing worse than a substitute teacher is a substitute school nurse. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed nine years ago, my daughter seems to be suffering from diabetes burnout, does not want to discuss it, seems sad at times. How can I help her?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Tell Congress: Renew the Special Diabetes Program NOW.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Products, Services and Books
- Smart Sitters is a great resource for parents of children with type 1 diabetes and their sitters.
- Animas exits the insulin pump business in the UK.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Instead of mints, weâ€™d get glucose tabs.
- 12 Diabetes News Items on Our Radar.
- CNNâ€™s Oren Liebermann on Life With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Itâ€™s All About Speed: My Afrezza Experience.
- The Latest and Greatest in Insulin Pumps and Sensor Technology.
- Ordering a Medicare Dexcom G5: Whatâ€™s the Story?
- Fitbit Going All In on Diabetes, Roping in Insurers.
- Film Probes Bantingâ€™s â€śComplex Motivationsâ€ť and Capacity to Abuse Animals.
- After 35 Years of Dead Ends, Ohio Researcher Develops Heat-Resistant Insulin.
- New Diabetes Charity Will Offer Rx Assistance and More.
- Misdiagnosis Leads to Twin's Tragic Death.
- Excess Mortality in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Without Albuminuriaâ€”Separating the Contribution of Early and Late Risks.
- Type 1 Diabetes in Parents and Risk of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in Offspring: A Population-Based Study in Sweden.
- Soft, smart contact lenses with integrations of wireless circuits, glucose sensors, and displays.
- Parental Diabetes Behaviors and Distress Are Related to Glycemic Control in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes: Longitudinal Data from the DINO Study.
- Trajectories of Acute Diabetes-Specific Stress in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes and Their Caregivers Within the First Year of Diagnosis.
- Flash forward: a review of flash glucose monitoring.
- Safety of Insulin Lispro and a Biosimilar Insulin Lispro When Administered Through an Insulin Pump.
- Disordered Eating Behaviors Are Not Increased by an Intervention to Improve Diet Quality but Are Associated With Poorer Glycemic Control Among Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Carbohydrate Counting in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Attitudes and barriers to exercise in adults with a recent diagnosis of type 1 diabetes: a qualitative study of participants in the Exercise for Type 1 Diabetes (EXTOD) study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Assessing the economic value of maintained improvements in Type 1 diabetes management, in terms of HbA1c , weight and hypoglycaemic event incidence.
- Telemedicine in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Teachers' attitudes and perceptions about preparation of public schools to assist students with type 1 diabetes [in Spain].
- The Impact of Thyroid Autoimmunity on Thyroid Function in 12-year-old Children With Celiac Disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Diabetes research at risk due to funding lapse, groups warn.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Cool Kid Sierra Thornburg uses love of horses to help kids with special needs.
- Man recognised for managing type 1 diabetes for 70 years.
- She has battled diabetes for five decades and now has a medal for her courage.
- EMT Crews Often Unprepared for Diabetic Crises.
- Woman claims SA hotel didn't follow required ADA regulations.
- SFC Fluidics, Inc. Announces Partnership with JDRF to Develop Pod Device for Automated Insulin Delivery.
- JDRF Partners with EOFlow to Develop Wearable Automated Insulin Delivery System for People with Type 1 Diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday January 31, 2018 13:43:21
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.