Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Anaheim 2018
May 4-6, 2018
Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Applications for the Diabetes Scholars Foundationâ€™s 2018 college scholarship program is now available.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- It's once again time to Spare a Rose, Save a Child. For Valentine's Day, buy 11 roses for your sweetheart and donate the value of the 12th rose to Life for a Child. Your donations bring life-saving insulin and diabetes care products to over 18,000 children with type 1 diabetes in 46 under-resourced countries through the IDF's Life for a Child program. Your donation is, quite literally, life. Please give generously.
- Last week's poll asked readers if diabetes has changed how they sleep. This week's poll asks pump users how often they change their infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son James has had diabetes since he was 14 months old. I attend a diabetes support group and the subject came up of giving the child with diabetes control over their diabetes. One example they gave was to have the child decide where they wanted their shot (e.g., arm, stomach, thigh, buttocks). The next morning I asked James, who was 3 at the time, "Where would you like your shot today?" James' response was, "IN THOMAS". Thomas is James' older brother. Thank God for James, he does keep us laughing!
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes you when you go out to dinner and your child accidentally asks for A1C sauce for his steak instead of A1 sauce. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Our daughter randomly gets sick with large ketones. She eats and drinks extra, takes additional insulin. What could be causing this?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
What are the current pump options?
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Tell Congress: Renew the Special Diabetes Program NOW.
- You can download the College Diabetes Network's Political Advocacy Guide.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Do you love Friends for Life Orlando? Now you can raise money for FFL Orlando, individually or as part of a team.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Youth ages 11 to 16 are invited to participate in an online study of a a new model of care called Transdisciplinary Care. The goal is to make a difference for teens with type 1, and you can help. Participants will be paid for each submitted response to questions and polls that will be distributed to them. Learn more at bit.ly/TCT1D.
- Adults diagnosed with type 1 diabetes are encouraged to take a brief online survey about the Barriers to Adoption of Technology. The goal of the study is to understand barriers to the prescription and adoption of devices, such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring. The findings will be used to inform the design of strategies and programs aimed at improving device prescribing and adoption.
Products, Services and Books
- Smart Sitters is a great resource for parents of children with type 1 diabetes and their sitters.
- Researchers Checked Insulin Vials and Found Low Insulin Concentrations.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Spare a Rose 2018.
- Is Technology Helping or Hurting Research for a Cure?
- Musings on Reaching 50 Years with Diabetes.
- If a BG Falls in the Forest, Does it Make a Sound?
- Disordered Eating with Diabetes.
- Moving through ... not on.
- To The Parent Whose T1D Teen Is Struggling.
- Five Young Diabetes Advocates to Watch.
- #insulin4all: A Global Healthcare Movement.
- Insulet Submits Omnipod Dash Touchscreen Handheld to FDA.
- Overnight Glucose Control with Dual- and Single-Hormone Artificial Pancreas in Type 1 Diabetes with Hypoglycemia Unawareness: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Hypoglycemia unawareness in type 1 diabetes suppresses brain responses to hypoglycemia.
- A Prospective Multicenter Evaluation of the Accuracy of a Novel Implanted Continuous Glucose Sensor: PRECISE II.
- Hypoglycemia unawareness in type 1 diabetes suppresses brain responses to hypoglycemia. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Brain scans show why some type 1 diabetics miss low blood sugar cues.
- Mindfulness and fear of hypoglycaemia in parents of children with Type 1 diabetes: results from the Diabetes MILES Youth - The Netherlands dataset.
- Preferences for treatment among adolescents with Type 1 diabetes: a national study using a discrete choice experiment model.
- Sleep in Type 1 Diabetes: Implications for Glycemic Control and Diabetes Management.
- Management of Hypertension and High Low-Density Lipoprotein in Pediatric Type 1 Diabetes.
- Picky Eaters Improved Diet Quality in a Randomized Behavioral Intervention Trial in Youth with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Glucagon treatment in type 1 diabetes - with focus on restoring plasma glucose during mild hypoglycemia.
- Trends in Hospital Admission for Diabetic Ketoacidosis in Adults With Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes in England, 1998â€“2013: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Body mass index as a risk factor for coronary events and mortality in patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Higher body mass index predicts cardiac autonomic dysfunction: A longitudinal study in adolescent type 1 diabetes.
- Making Smart Food Choices With T1D - Going Beyond Recommended Guidelines.
- Hypervigilance to a Gluten-Free Diet and Decreased Quality of Life in Teenagers and Adults with Celiac Disease.
- Creation of Experience-based Celiac Benchmarks - The First Step in Pre-Transition Self-Management Assessment.
- Histologic recovery among children with celiac disease on a gluten-free diet. A long-term follow-up single-center experience. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- 'It's a diagnosis, not a choice': What is celiac disease?
- Gluten-free diet exclusively during pregnancy alleviates the signs of diabetes and celiac disease in NOD mouse offspring.
- Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Crossover Trial for the Diagnosis of Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity in Children.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Combating Type 1 diabetes requires long-term funding. See also Congress needs to finish the job and renew the Special Diabetes Program.
- Medtronic Fails to Quash Claims Over Teenâ€™s Diabetic Shock.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Having A Child With Diabetes Meant I Had To Step Up As A Parent.
- Diabetic girl returning to school.
- Adjusting to life as diabetic: 'The love for the game kept me going'.
- Basketball player Kelsey Lachowski not letting Type 1 Diabetes define her.
- I Had to Bury My 26-Year-Old Son Because He Couldn't Afford Insulin.
- Boy, 6, saves mum's life after she suffers diabetic emergency in their Brislington home.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday February 07, 2018 20:05:23
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.