Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2018
October 19-21, 2018
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life UK 2018
October 26-28, 2018
Crieff Hydro Hotel
Strathearn House, Crieff
Friends for Life Canada 2018
November 2-4, 2018
Marriott on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Of Continuing Interest
- No child should die for lack of insulin. Just $1 a day will ensure a child has access to the life-saving insulin they need to survive. 1,000 donors will help 1,000 young people in need.
- Has your insurance company forced you to change your insulin or other diabetes care medicine or product? That's "Forced Non-Medical Switching." Share your story of forced non-medical switching at MyMedsMyChoice, a project of CWD.
New This Week
- Relive Friends for Life Orlando 2018 through our extensive photo album.
- Friends For Life Orlando 2018.
- Friends for Life: A Place Where No One Feels Alone, for Just about a Week.
- Assistance with Access to Insulin.
- Last week's poll asked parents if their child's school trains staff to give insulin. This week's poll asks our readers who drive how often they check their blood sugar before they drive.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Understanding Diabetes, 13th Edition by H. Peter Chase, MD, and David M. Maahs, MD, PhD.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My wife Brenda recently had a birthday. Laura sent an email to the parents list saying "Brenda is 48" which triggered a bunch of "Oh my you're low!" responses rather than "Happy birthday" notes. The best responses were "Hypo Birthday Brenda!" and "have lots of cake - you won't be 48 anymore."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your daughter wakes you up in the middle of the night and says, "Mommy, I'm beeping." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
For my teen son, meal boluses via his pump lead to high blood sugars, which do not occur if he injects insulin using a flex pen. Why is there such a difference?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Switching long acting insulin
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- The Barbara Davis Center and the T1D Exchange are conducting this survey to help us better understand the barriers to diabetes management faced by people with diabetes and their families.
- Have you ever applied for a Patient Assistance Program? We want to hear from you and get your thoughts on your experience through this anonymous quick survey so patient nonprofit organizations can recommend positive changes to help our community.
- Needed: Caregivers of Children with Type 1 and Autism.
- Moms and dads of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help evaluate an online community designed by and for other parents like you. Please visit www.bit.ly/youngT1D to learn how you can make a difference.
Diabetes in School
- Diabetes Care Tasks at School: What Key Personnel Need to Know.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- The High Price Of Insulin.
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Night My Son Nearly Died for a Sprite.
- Fighting a Policy That Limits My Test Strips. See also Letter Abut Limiting My BG Test Strips.
- Using Diabetes Technologies like CGM During Exercise.
- Scuba Diving with Diabetes.
- Ten Things I Learned in Ten Years with Diabetes.
- Access & Learning Challenges, Predictive Algorithms Top the Summer 2018 DiabetesMine D-Data ExChange.
- Roche Solo Patch Insulin Pump Finally on the Way?
- Your Checklist for Meeting With the School Nurse.
- 5 Strange-But-True Facts About Diabetes Throughout History.
- I Called the Lilly Diabetes Insulin Affordability Helpline: Hereâ€™s All You Need to Know.
- Internet Jumble #30.
- New Survey Says: Life with Type 1 Diabetes is Difficult!
- Performance of the Omnipod Personalized Model Predictive Control Algorithm with Meal Bolus Challenges in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Identical and Nonidentical Twins: Risk and Factors Involved in Development of Islet Autoimmunity and Type 1 Diabetes.
- Efficacy and Safety of Dapagliflozin in Patients With Inadequately Controlled Type 1 Diabetes (the DEPICT-2 Study): 24-Week Results From a Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Persistent Elevations in Circulating INS DNA Among Subjects with Longstanding Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parental smoking and risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes.
- Multiresponsive Supramolecular Theranostic Nanoplatform Based on Pillararene and Diphenylboronic Acid Derivatives for Integrated Glucose Sensing and Insulin Delivery.
- Perceptions and experiences of adult patients with type 1 diabetes using continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy: Results of an online survey.
- Experiences and real life management of insulin pump therapy in adults with type 1 diabetes.
- The 30-year cost-effectiveness of alternative strategies to achieve excellent glycemic control in type 1 diabetes: An economic simulation informed by the results of the diabetes control and complications trial/epidemiology of diabetes interventions and complications (DCCT/EDIC).
- Real-world efficacy and safety of insulin degludec with mealtime rapid-acting insulin in type 1 diabetes in Indian pediatric population. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Implementation of effective transition from pediatric to adult diabetes care: epidemiological and clinical characteristics-a pioneering experience in North Africa..
- Flash Glucose Monitoring: A Review of the Literature with a Special Focus on Type 1 Diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Accuracy of a Fourth-Generation Continuous Glucose Monitoring System in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Blood glucose meters and test strips: global market and challenges to access in low-resource settings.
- Evaluating a Glucose-Sensor-Based Tool to Help Clinicians and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Improve Self-Management Skills.
- Glycemic control and microvascular complications in adults with type 1 diabetes and long-lasting treated celiac disease: a case-control study.
- Gluten intake and risk of type 2 diabetes in three large prospective cohort studies of US men and women.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- JDRF response to UK Governmentâ€™s reassurances on insulin supplies during European Union exit.
- Spending On Prescription Drugs In The US: Where Does All The Money Go?
- Q&A: What's behind the growing scrutiny of insulin prices?
- Family fighting high cost of insulin.
- Kansas City college student describes the copay that almost killed her.
- Spiking Insulin Costs Put Patients in Brutal Bind.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The $250 Biohack Thatâ€™s Revolutionizing Life With Diabetes.
- Driving with Diabetes: One Racer's Story.
- Dublin girl fights through diabetes to earn MMA black belt.
- 2 farmers, 2 tractors on an epic journey to Alaska, raising money for Type 1 diabetes research.
- Giving kids with diabetes a chance to go camping.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Announces Publication of PROLOG Study Results in Diabetes Care Journal; Study Demonstrates Significant Reduction in Hypoglycemia without Rebound Hyperglycemia.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday August 08, 2018 17:15:33
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.