Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Falls Church 2016, to be held at the Fairview Park Marriott in Falls Church, Virginia, from Friday, April 8th, through Sunday, April 10th, 2016.
New This Week
- Make plans to attend Friends for Life Orlando 2016, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida, from Tuesday, July 5th, through Sunday, July 10th, 2016.
- Last week's poll asked parents about who helps their child administer insulin in a child-care setting. This week's poll asks readers when they think type 1 diabetes will be cured.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old kindergartener wears her diabetes "bracelet" around her ankle because it's more comfortable and doesn't get in her way. One day at school, her friend asked her, "How do you know which leg has diabetes?" My daughter laughingly replied, "My whole BODY has diabetes!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you go into the bathroom and find your 3-year-old son peeing into a Dixie Cup, and when asked why, he looks up at you and replies, "Well I have to test my peetones." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
The coach wants my teen son to "cut weight" to wrestle a certain opponent. I had my son explain that this was dangerous for him because of his diabetes. Can you elaborate on these dangers? My son has been forced to sit out matches because the coach thinks my son is being difficult.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Daughter VERY new to pumping and already frustrated.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Caregivers and kids on pump therapy up to age 19 needed for focus groups in Framingham, MA in December.
- Parents of very young children with type 1 diabetes are needed to help design and build a great website for other parents like you. If you are a parent (or legal caregiver) of a child with type 1 diabetes diagnosed before age 6, and your child is not yet 10 years old, just follow this link to learn more: https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=L3HKPK33J4
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- Healthy, But Not: The Truth About Living With Diabetes.
- How to Get Fired with Diabetes.
- A Love Letter During a Blood Sugar Swing.
- The 10 Best Thanksgiving Tips to Hit Your Plate.
- Diabetes Makes a Cameo in The Walking Dead.
- Team Novo Nordisk Participates in Surprise Navy SEAL-style Camp.
- Effects of Prior Intensive Insulin Therapy and Risk Factors on Patient-Reported Visual Function Outcomes in the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial/Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (DCCT/EDIC) Cohort. Free full text available in HTML and PDF (via link) formats.
- Insulitis and Î²-Cell Mass in the Natural History of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Bacillus Calmette-GuÃ©rin (BCG) Vaccination in Infancy and Risk of Childhood Diabetes.
- Artificial Pancreas Device Systems for the Closed-Loop Control of Type 1 Diabetes: What Systems Are in Development?
- Metabolic Control With the Bio-inspired Artificial Pancreas in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes: A 24-Hour Randomized Controlled Crossover Study.
- Successful Application of Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Therapy After Islet Autotransplantation.
- Immune Depletion in Combination with Allogeneic Islets Permanently Restores Tolerance to Self-Antigens in Diabetic NOD Mice. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Cost-Effectiveness Analysis of Insulin Detemir Compared to Neutral Protamine Hagedorn (NPH) in Patients with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in Spain.
- Intraperitoneal versus subcutaneous insulin therapy in the treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Streptococcus pneumoniae oropharyngeal colonization in school-age children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus: Impact of the heptavalent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.
- Empagliflozin in the treatment of type 2 diabetes: evidence to date. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Celiac Disease Does Not Influence Fracture Risk in Young Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Miracle on Burt Road: Opening a gluten-free bakery and cafe was one Lexington mom's answer to her son's Celiac diagnosis.
Legal and Legislative
- Mom says school banned daughter from trip over diabetes.
- Cobb withholds support for subsidising Continuous Glucose Monitoring for people with Type 1 Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The Doctor on a Quest to Save Our Medical Devices From Hackers.
- Glendale PD: Diabetes won't stop us from hiring qualified officers.
- Local father uses month of November to spread awareness about diabetes.
- How being diagnosed with diabetes changed my life.
- Sea Eagles star Brett Stewart is a Snake charmer for diabetic kids.
- Harvard's Doug Melton awarded for work on stem cells treatment for diabetes.
- At Walgreens and CVS, a Push to Collect Customer Health Data by Dangling Discounts.
- DRI Pioneers Safer Approach for Creating Insulin-Producing Cells.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Wednesday November 25, 2015 03:05:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2015. Comments and Feedback.