- Throughout the day on Monday, July 14, CNN will air a segment about Medical Web Sites. Featured will be Dr. Tessa Lebinger, pediatric endocrinologist and member of the Diabetes Team at children with DIABETES. The segment will be shown on CNN, CNN Headline News, and CNN Financial News.
- Researchers May Have Diabetes 'Vaccine' from the London Free Press Online reports that 10 of 12 NOD mice fed diets that were supplemented with the GAD protein -- glumatic acid decarbocylase, normally found in the pancreas -- did not contract diabetes, whereas 8 of 12 in the control group did.
- Surviving as a Diabetic Child in a War Zone recounts the story of Azra Ratkusic, age 16, and his experiences during the fighting in East Mostar in 1993.
- Teen Girls Risk Eye Damage by Skipping Injections to Lose Weight, from a story in the New York Times, illustrates the danger of skipping insulin.
- The Sansum Medical Reseach Foundation, is a a research center devoted to the prevention, treatment, and cure of diabetes. Of particular interest is information about the Santa Barbara Diabetes Project, a worldwide collaboration to find a cure for Insulin Dependent Diabetes.
- The Foundation for Transplant Research is dedicated to funding medical research efforts toward the cure of major diseases that afflict children such as diabetes. The encapsulation of pancreatic islet beta cells is the foremost example of our efforts.
- The Diabetic Gourmet has two new articles in the July 1997 issue:
- Not Only Sugar Is Sweet describes different kinds of sugars and sugar substitutes.
- Glucose Monitor describes the process of self-monitoring of blood glucose and some of the problems that people have in testing that can affect the accuracy of testing.
- HbA1c measurement is an important tool to help you manage diabetes.
- Vitamins for Diabetics highlights some of the recent research on the role vitamins might play in diabetes.
- ICS Book Services Diabetes Book List has a huge list of diabetes-related books. The pages load very slowly if you have images turned on.
- hypOview, Ltd. sells a syringe magnifier to help those who are visually impaired.
- The Web Site Activity Report provides a detailed look at the amount of information we deliver.
Watch for the indicator throughout the children with DIABETES pages. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:27
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.