Register now for our "It's a New Day in Diabetes" Conference and Expo, to be held from July 18-22, 2001 at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
Come to the conference and try a pump! Animas Corporation will be offering a great opportunity for potential would-be pumpers. Anyone interested in trying an Animas pump (with saline) may do so Thursday and Friday at the conference. For more information, contact Maura Emory, CDE, at 1-877-YES Pump, extension 164. Appointments are necessary.
- Matt is 14 and was diagnosed on Valentine's Day.
- Lauren is five and just started pumping.
- Carolyn was diagnosed on Christmas Day, 1999.
- Laurie Ridgel shares her thoughts in a poem entitled Diabetes, A Day, My Child.
- It's time to reserve your spot at summer camp. Camps with updated schedules for 2001 include:
- ADA Summer Camp for Children with Diabetes in New York offers camping fun plus a radio station.
- Camp Cosmo offers a teen camp and a day camp for kids in Nebraska.
- Camp Enscore is a day camp in Clemmons, North Carolina.
- Camp Independence is day camp for children with diabetes in Staten Island, New York.
- Camp Morton and Camp Maxwell in the Canadian Province of Nova Scotia help establish confidence and a sense of security during the camping experience.
- Read the transcripts from last week's special Virtual Support Group: Type 2 Diabetes chat.
- We've added a page about retinopathy.
- Clinical outcomes and insulin secretion after islet transplantation with the Edmonton protocol.
- Stem-Cell Derived Cells Secrete Insulin and Form Islet-Like Structures. (Free Medscape membership required) See also Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells to Insulin-Secreting Structures Similar to Pancreatic Islets.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International Applauds New Stem Cell Research Discovery.
- HHS Decision on Funding of Embryonic Stem Cell Research Might Be Ready in June. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Basal insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes: 28-week comparison of insulin glargine (HOE 901) and NPH insulin.
- Be sure to read the HHS Stem Cell Research Guidelines.
- New dramatic drop in mortality rates for type 1 diabetes In Allegheny County, finds University Of Pittsburgh study.
- Special Funding Boosts Type 1 Diabetes Research.
- Effects of educational and psychosocial interventions for adolescents with diabetes mellitus: a systematic review.
- Hypoglycaemic episodes in children with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus--can the frequency or severity be reduced?.
- Effect of alpha-lipoic acid on the progression of endothelial cell damage and albuminuria in patients with diabetes mellitus: an exploratory study.
- Medscape has the full text of several important studies online. Free Medscape membership is required.
- Prevalence and Significance of Retinopathy in Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes of Less Than 5 Years' Duration Screened for the Diabetes Control and Complications Trial.
- Behavior Therapy for Families of Adolescents With Diabetes.
- Antihypertensive Therapy for Diabetics Should Include an ACE Inhibitor. (Free Medscape membership required)
- Diabetes Care Study Shows Positive Results For Detecting Hypoglycemia With The Cygnus Glucowatch® Biographer.
- Guidelines for premeal insulin dose reduction for postprandial exercise of different intensities and durations in type 1 diabetic subjects treated intensively with a basal-bolus insulin regimen (ultralente-lispro).
- Chronic care clinics for diabetes in primary care.
- Epipen shown ineffective as an alternative to glucagon in the treatment of severe hypoglycemia in children with diabetes.
- Diabetic girl to lobby Congress.
- Kids build bike to help classmate.
- A young diabetic woman died after being seasick for three days while sailing to Antarctica on a conservation mission.
- Last week's poll asked readers how they usually treat unexpected high blood sugar. This week's poll asks readers how many times they visited their doctor before they were correctly diagnosed with diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The "I Can't Believe This Has No Sugar" Cookbook by Deborah E. Buhr.
- Our list of Books about Food and Nutrition is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:43
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.