Of Continuing Interest
Join us in Pasadena, California, July 17-21, as hundreds of CWD families join in the 3rd annual conference, Friends For Life: Pasadena 2002. There will be educational sessions for everyone, young and old, whether you are a child or adult with type 1 diabetes, a family member, or a diabetes health care provider. Best of all, enjoy watching the children participate in conference sessions and some very cool social events, interacting, learning, and having fun with other children who face the same challenges each and every day. Find out more!
New This Week
- Elissa Premerlani, who wears an insulin pump, is featured on IBM's Electronic Media Management System page. (Scroll to the bottom of the page.)
- Pediatric Education for Diabetes in Schools is a printed guide that can be purchased from the PADRE Foundation. See also our Diabetes Management at School section.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes with updated information for the 2002 camping season include:
- Camp Seale Harris is a camp for children with diabetes in Alabama since 1949.
- In November 2001, the Diabetes Team published 208 answers to questions sent in by our readers, bring our 2001 total to 2,378 and our overall total to 8,893. What's your diabetes question?
- We review Reducing Injection Pain in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes: Studies on Indwelling Catheters and Injection Needles by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- The NIDDK and University of Texas are recruiting for a study to see if an oral agent will prolong the honeymoon period in newly diagnosed patients with Type 1 diabetes.
- Modern concepts for the prediction of type 1 diabetes.
- Israeli Scientists Block The Progression Of Type I Diabetes is the official press release from the Weizmann Institute about their discovery.
- HbA1c Levels Are Genetically Determined Even in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Improving management of diabetic ketoacidosis in children.
- Pupillary autonomic denervation with increasing duration of diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin lispro and the development of proliferative diabetic retinopathy during pregnancy.
- Is childhood-onset type I diabetes a wealth-related disease? An ecological analysis of European incidence rates.
- The large increase in incidence of Type I diabetes mellitus in Poland.
- Geographical variation of presentation at diagnosis of type I diabetes in children: the EURODIAB study.
- Trends in the incidence of childhood-onset diabetes in Europe 1989-1998.
- Increasing incidence of childhood-onset type I diabetes in 3 Baltic countries and Finland 1983-1998.
- Diabetes incidence in children of different nationalities: an epidemiological approach to the pathogenesis of diabetes.
- Mortality of patients with childhood onset (0-17 years) Type I diabetes in Israel.
- Two-Field Photography Can Identify Patients With Vision-Threatening Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Vascular Compliance Is Reduced in the Early Stages of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Treatment of dyslipidemia in diabetes.
- Progress in the characterization of slowly progressive autoimmune diabetes in adult patients (LADA or type 1,5 diabetes).
- Hyperglycemia associated with the use of atypical antipsychotics.
- Cygnus and Sankyo Sign Agreement for Co-Promotion of GlucoWatch Biographer.
- A Pilot Study of the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System: Clinical decisions and glycemic control after its use in pediatric type 1 diabetic subjects .
- Use of Insulin Pumps in Pregnancies Complicated by Type 2 Diabetes and Gestational Diabetes in a Multiethnic Community.
- Hospitalization among diabetic children and adolescents and non-diabetic control subjects.
- Physiological insulin replacement in type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Insulin therapy in type 2 diabetes.
- Insulin-treated diabetes patients with fear of self-injecting or fear of self-testing. Psychological comorbidity and general well-being.
- Comorbidity of diabetes mellitus and eating disorders.
- The November 2001 issue of Diabetes Interview has an article about How People With Diabetes Can Avoid Health-Insurance Conflicts.
- The Walk to Cure Diabetes 2001 web site is written by Rick, father of Miles, age five.
- Diabetes fails to slow Hillsboro's Brian Price.
- Applesauce Snack Cake, made with Splenda, is a great afternoon treat.
- Apple Cranberry Streusel Pie makes a wonderful dessert.
- Last week's poll asked readers what age they think is appropriate to begin insulin pump therapy. This week's poll asks readers if they've ever changed diabetes teams.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Care for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers: A Reassuring Guide by Jean Betschart, C.R.N.P., C.D.E.
- Our page about Dead in Bed Syndrome is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:37
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.